Background

Friday, October 22, 2021

Through an Author's Eyes - Part 9

 Good morning readers,

It's chilly this morning. in the low 40s and I have a cozy shirt on. I'm always ready to get out my warm, cozy clothes when fall comes, but by the time spring arrives I'm ready for short sleeves. We haven't had any frosts yet and nothing 40º or colder to kill the chiggers.

Guess what? The Sheetrock has been hung! Two guys came Tuesday around 3 and got almost all of it done in 3 1/2 hours. Then one guy came back Wednesday afternoon and finished it up in about an hour and a half. It's so different having the Sheetrock up. We have Sheetrock where we've never had it before. And boy do those rooms echo! The finishers are coming tomorrow at 8 AM to start the taping and mudding. Then it will have to dry, then they'll have to come back and sand it. Then they'll have to texture it, let it dry and come back and sand again. After that I get to paint! Then it's floor, trim, and moving back in! Of course I have no idea how long all of this will take. Praying not too long. I'm ready for a normal house again. :)

No writing this week and only some reading. I've been working on Camp stuff. Registration is open in case you hadn't heard. It's going to be a full month of camp this time, and I'm really hoping I can get some good writing in.

I didn't think about looking to see what other stories I could share, so you'll have to have the next part of this one.

 

 Through an Author's Eyes
Part 9

    “Suites me,” Annette laughed. “I could use another cousin or two. Dad only has one married sibling and he only has two kids, so I’m kind of short in the cousin department.”
    Talking and laughing, the three girls saddled their horses and mounted up. Annette for the first time since arriving, was wearing her aunt’s cowboy hat instead of a helmet. “Levi must think I know enough not to fall off now,” she had laughed to Savanna when Levi had told her to wear his mom’s hat.
    “More like he doesn’t want you to get too much sun. It can get really sunny out on the ranch and a helmet doesn’t offer much shade.”

    The ride was long and pleasant. Annette enjoyed every minute of it. Lunch was eaten in the shade of several large trees near an ice cold stream. “This is what I’ve always dreamed of doing,” she sighed, leaning back on her elbows and gazing up into the shading branches of the trees.
    “You’re probably going to be stiff and sore tomorrow,” Savanna warned. “You haven’t ridden this much before.”
    “I don’t care,” Annette sighed. “I’m just going to enjoy every single minute of this experience. Including that snake over there.” And she pointed to a sunny rock near the water’s edge.
    After a quick look, Bethany relaxed. “It’s not poisonous, so we don’t have to worry about it.”

    It was late afternoon when they returned to the barn. The boys had already returned from wherever they had gone and offered to help unsaddle and brush the horses down. As Annette swung down from the saddle, she felt her muscles protest. “Savanna’s right,” she thought, trying to ignore the stiffness in her legs. “I’m going to find walking normal almost impossible tomorrow. And it’s Sunday too. Oh, well.” She gave a sigh.
    “Something wrong?” Vic asked, lifting her saddle off Mouse and pausing to look at her.
    “Nope. I was just thinking of what to add to my story later.”
    “About being stiff and sore from a long ride when you aren’t used to it yet?” Annette was always astonished at Victor’s insight. He didn’t speak much but he saw and noticed all sorts of things.
    “Yeah,” she admitted. “I have a feeling I’m not going to be moving too well tomorrow.” She shrugged. “Oh, well. It’s the price I pay for riding a horse. Thanks for helping me, Vic. I’m still rather green about taking care of a horse.”
    “You’ll get the hang of it.” He picked up a brush and handed it to her. “Start brushing her and I’ll finish untacking her.”

    Bethany stayed for supper and then drove home in her car. After helping with the dishes, Annette said good night and headed up to her room. She had a story to write. Besides, she hoped to catch her parents on line and chat for a few minutes with them.

    When she climbed out of bed in the morning every muscle in her body seemed to scream at her. Limping her way to the bathroom with a moan at each step, she wondered if a hot shower would help or only make her more stiff later. A look at the clock decided the matter for her. She had time for a quick shower.
    An hour later she silently groaned her way down to the kitchen and eased herself into a chair at the table.
    “Feeling the affects of the ride yesterday?” Aunt Yvonne asked.
    “Uh huh.”
    “You’ll have to take a walk later to help loosen things up. And I imagine Levi will tell you get on a horse again tomorrow.”
    “Tomorrow?” Annette groaned, this time aloud. “I don’t know if I’ll even be able to move tomorrow let alone get on a horse.”
    Savanna turned from the stove where she had been flipping pancakes and, carrying a large plate of them to the table said, “If you don’t get on a horse tomorrow you won’t get used to riding.”
    The back door opened and Levi, Vic, Devon and Uncle Cleveland came in.
    “What’s this about not getting used to riding?” Uncle Cleveland asked, hanging up his hat.
    “Annette said she doesn't think she’ll be able to get on a horse tomorrow. The ride we took yesterday left her really sore.”
    “She’ll ride tomorrow.” Levi, having hung up his hat, turned from washing his hands. “I can’t make her into a cowgirl unless she does.”
    Annette glared at him. “I’ll bet none of you remember what it feels like to be as sore and stiff as I am! Why I can hardly move!”
    Going to the doorway, Aunt Yvonne called, “Ava! Breakfast!”
    No one replied to Annette and after everyone had gathered and seated themselves at the table, Uncle Cleveland gave thanks.
    If Annette couldn’t move very well, there was nothing wrong with her appetite. If anything she was hungrier than she had ever remembered being, and ate four pancakes, a pile of scrambled eggs and several pieces of bacon.
    “All right guys,” Uncle Cleveland said, glancing up at the clock. “We leave for church in twenty minutes. Anyone out the door after that has to take the truck.”
    There was a scramble of legs, the scraping of chairs and the clatter of dishes. Before Annette could carry her dirty dishes to the sink, the were snatched from her hands and Savanna said, “Go get ready. It’ll take you longer.”
    “But what about the dishes?”
    “We rinse them off and stick them in the dish washer. When we get home we add the lunch dishes and turn it on. It’s about the only time we use the dishwasher. Now go get ready!”
    Staggering from the kitchen, Annette cringed at the thought of climbing the stairs to brush her teeth and get her Bible and purse, but holding back her moans and groans, she gripped the railing and hauled herself up the stairs. “Why did I ever want to go on a trail ride yesterday?” she muttered as she squeezed toothpaste onto her tooth brush. “It was a crazy idea. I thought I was sore before when I had only ridden a little bit–” A glance at the red lights of her alarm clock made her hurry.

Have you ever ridden a horse before?
Do you like to paint?
What do you usually eat for breakfast on Sunday?

3 comments:

Chloe said...

I'm new to your blogs, but I'm enjoying them very much so far! I liked your story. I love horses! I've only ridden a horse a few times and I don't know if it really counts, because it was in a church parking lot, being led around when I was young. :) I do like to paint - yes! I like to paint objects, not pictures.

Rebekah said...

Welcome to my Friday blog, Chloe! :)
I'd say that counts as having ridden a horse.
Oh, I could use your help in painting trim and walls. ;)

Chloe said...

Haha, that sounds fun! :)