Background

Friday, October 29, 2021

A Kitten

 Hello, Favorite Friday Fiction Fans,

Today is rainy and cold and windy. We've had rain Wednesday, Thursday, and during the nights. I'm ready for some sunshine but it sounds like it's supposed to be cloudy today even if it doesn't rain much. 

It's been a bit of a tough week. The guys who came to do the finishing of the Sheetrock on Saturday told us they'd come back on Wednesday to do the next coat. Then they said they'd try to come back sooner. Nope. We had to wait until Wednesday. I spent the day painting trim. Then they guys told us they'd come back Friday (today) to do the next coat. It is so hard not to get frustrated at them for not doing things the next day and getting this done sooner. We were hoping to start moving back in the beginning of November. That ain't happening. The guys still have to come today, and then come back another time (don't know when) to do the texturing. Then I have to paint primer on all the walls and ceilings. Then the regular paint. Next we have to lay the floor, then we have to put up trim. And a friend of ours is supposed to come help us get the trim up, but I don't know if we'll have to wait for his schedule or if he'll be able to just come when we're ready. Oh, and I'm working as an election judge on Tuesday, so even if the house was ready to paint then I couldn't do it. And the Sheetrock dust and the smell of the mud has been giving us headaches. I am overly ready for the house to be done! πŸ™‚

But it hasn't all been hard. Writing camp has started and it's been fun to chat with girls there. I'm not sure if I'll get much writing done this camp since I can't seem to get the words to come out with all the mess of the house. But hopefully I can get something written.

Oh, guess what else happened? A new collection of stories including an abridged version of one of mine just got published. You can read about it HERE. And today's story has the same characters as are in my story.

Yes, I know it's short, but I have other things I need to do. Besides, my creativity seems to be stuck behind unfinished walls, painting, flooring, trim and doors. 😜

 

A Kitten

    “Is he a boy or a girl?” asked the little girl, crouching down to look at the little kitten.
    It was a sunny summer morning and Jolie and Elliana had followed their big brother Stephen to the barn where he had found a kitten.
    “I don’t know,” Stephen replied, leaning against the side of the barn with an amused expression on his face.
    “Well,” Elliana said, “we’ll just have to think of a name that could be for a boy or a girl.” She tugged on her light brown braid.
    Jolie, still crouched down in the grass, tipped her head to one side. “She’s kind of white, but not like snow because she had gray ears.” She giggled. “Look, he had gray around his mouth like he got into mischief! And his paws are even sort of gray.”
    “We could call her mischief,” Elliana suggested. “But she except for her dirty face and paws she doesn’t look like she would get into mischief, does she, Stephen?”
    At that precise moment, the kitchen sat up and its ears twitched. Then lifted a paw and batted at a grasshopper.
    Jolie burst into giggles again. “Oh, Ellie, I think he will get into mischief if he’s chasing grasshoppers. Let’s call him Mischief.” She looked up at her big brother. “Don’t you think that is a good name, Stephen?”
    With a grin, Stephen nodded as the kitten trying to catch a butterfly, fell into a shallow mud puddle. “Indubitably the perfect name.”
    As the kitten, looking much astonished at where it had landed, the two girls burst into laughter.
    “Mischief,” Elliana called, “don’t you know you aren’t a fish?”
    Sitting in the grass, Jolie and Elliana coaxed the kitten to them and with the help of Stephen’s handkerchief, helped the sunshine dry the little kitten off.
    “Do you think Mama will let us keep him, Stephen?” Jolie asked anxiously.
    “We promise not to bring her inside,” Elliana said.
    Before he answered, Stephen looked toward the house. “You can ask her yourself, for here she comes.”

How was your week?
Do you think you'll read the new collection?
Do you like kittens?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I love kittens!!! My family recently adopted two kittens, Juniper and Shalom. Shalom is mine; her name means "peace and tranquility" in Hebrew. She's a beautiful 3-month-old tabby πŸ’— Do you like kittens?
I recognize these characters from your short story, "Keeping Up Hope." πŸ˜„
I hope you get all the projects in your house finished soon!

Rebekah said...

I don't mind kittens if they belong to someone else and aren't hanging out in my yard. :D
Thanks. It looks like I'll be able to paint walls on Monday! So excited about that. :)
Yay, you already got introduced to the little girls and their brother. :) I hope you enjoyed this little bit too.