Background

Friday, October 15, 2021

Camping - Part 2

 Good morning, readers,

It's dark outside right now. It's cloudy so it looks like it's much earlier than it really is. How are the days going by so quickly? It's already the middle of October! Registration for KDWC starts on Monday. There are only two more full weeks left in this month! How is that even possible?

I had hoped that the Sheetrock would all be hung by now, but it's not. It is sitting in one of the rooms waiting. And we're waiting. Waiting for the man and his crew who said they would do it. First we were told they'd get it the end of last week. Nope. Then we were told it would be the end of this week. The last time my Dad talked to him, he said the end of this week or next week. For a new construction project, that might not be bad, but when it's a house where people are living, putting it off again and again is frustrating, stressful, and means that everything else has to be put off. I'm trying to trust that God knows and is working, but sometimes it is hard to see when you can't DO anything and just have to wait. And wait.

I had time to write yesterday, and I wanted to, but it felt like every drop of creativity was gone, shut up in my brain and wouldn't come out. I had no motivation, no excitement over getting something done. I didn't even feel like reading. Not a very fun feeling, let me tell you. 

Today I don't know what is happening. We might be babysitting my nieces and nephews and if so, they'll be spending the night. (They have been wanting to spend the night in all the mess and crowdedness of the house for some strange reason.) Don't know if the guys doing the Sheetrock will come today or not. I just don't know. So I guess I'll do what I can do and leave the rest up to God.

 I hope you enjoy the second half of this camping story.

Camping
Part 2

    The next morning Bethany rose first and after stirring up the fire and heating some water, she poured it into a thermos and mixed in the hot chocolate packs. The morning air was a bit chilly and she wondered if their idea of eating cold coffee cake was going to be as pleasant as it was the day before.
    “Well, we didn’t bring any bacon and eggs except for tomorrow,” she mused. “It was rather silly of us, I suppose.” She shrugged. After getting the container of coffee cake out and setting it on their small portable table, she returned to the tent to wake Sherrice.
    “Sherrice, it’s breakfast time,” Bethany said softly, nudging her friend.
    There was no response.
    Bethany gave her a little shake. “Come on. Wake up. You said you didn’t want to sleep late.”
    A mumbled, “Go ‘way,” was all the answer Bethany got.
    “Fine. Sleep.” Bethany tied back the tent door hoping the fresh air would rouse her friend, and after pouring herself a cut of hot chocolate, she settled down in her chair to read her Bible and eat her breakfast.
    Suddenly, she looked up. She had heard something. Her eyes darted around the campsite hoping to catch a glimpse of her brother or one of her young nephews. But no one was there. The noise came again from the nearby woods only closer.
    Rising quickly, Bethany retreated to the tent where Sherrice was beginning to awaken. Quietly, Bethany zipped the screen door of their tent.
    “What is it?” Sherrice whispered.
    “I don’t know. It might be a wild animal.”
    Both girls listened and watched until out from the woods tumbled two bear cubs. Bethany, her eyes wide and her heart pounding in her chest, glanced at Sherrice. Were they really seeing what she thought they were seeing? One look at her friend’s wide eyes told her they were.
    The cubs came closer and then a mama bear lumbered into sight after them.
    Unsure if she should be terrified or thrilled by their morning visitors, Bethany gripped Sherrice’s hand. Elijah. Maybe she should call him on the walkie-talkie. But no, they were in no danger. At least she hoped not. Besides, he was probably sleeping or out fishing, and she doubted it was even on. The cubs, evidently quite curious, tried to climb into Sherrice’s chair and squealed with fright when it fell over.
    Mama bear was more interested in the food Bethany had left on the table. Her large paws soon opened the container and in moments not a crumb was left. After eating the coffee cake, Mrs. Bear sniffed around a few minutes and then lumbered off toward the far side of the campsite. One of the cubs ran after her, but the other, who was attempting to climb into the other more sturdy chair, stayed where he was.
    Bethany had to put her hand over her mouth as the small furry animal tumbled yet again from her chair.
    Then Mama showed up and nudged him away, but the little fellow was incorrigible and returned to the chair. Mama Bear came back and pushed him toward the trees with her nose, and when he tried to turn back, she swatted him. This sent the little guy in the right direction for a minute, but before the girls could breath a sigh if relief, he cam running back, determined to climb into the chair and get the thermos off the table.
    But Mama was tired of his naughtiness and when she returned for him, she picked him up by the scruff of the neck. Oh, how he squealed and kicked, trying to get down, but Mama carried him to the woods where she put him down with another swat. Apparently this was enough, for the family of bears disappeared.
    “Did we really just see that?” Sherrice whispered.
    “I think so,” Bethany said. “But wasn’t that little guy determined!”
    “He was naughty,” Sherrice laughed. “I’m glad his mama didn’t let him get away with doing whatever he wanted.”
    Bethany chuckled. “Yes. But she did eat your breakfast. What are you going to do now?”
    Sherrice made a face. “I guess I’ll just eat a granola bar. That should teach me not to sleep in.”
    “Or we could just cook up the bacon and eggs were were saving for tomorrow and just eat whatever we can find tomorrow.”
    Before Sherrice could reply, the motor of a vehicle startled them both.
    “You go out,” Sherrice whispered. “You’re at least dressed.”
    After making sure the bears were really gone, Bethany slipped from the tent and found Elijah climbing from his truck. “Good morning,” she greeted him. “You missed Mrs. Bear, Obedience and Incorrigible.”
    Elijah stared at her blankly. “Huh?”
    “A mama bear and her two cubs paid us a visit this morning. But you didn’t come to hear about that. What’s up?”
    “I just talked to a park ranger. There’s a big storm heading our way. We need to pack up the tents.”
    Bethany looked out toward the lake. There were dark clouds on the horizon. She shivered. Perhaps the storm was why it was so chilly. “All right. We’ll pack up. Maybe we can get some breakfast for Sherrice on the way home since Mrs. Bear ate hers.”
    “Sounds good.” Elijah strode toward his truck, stopped and turned around. “Did you just say a bear ate her breakfast?” 

Have you ever seen any bears on your vacations?
How was your week?
Are you excited for KDWC?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually... One time when we went camping I woke up and heard a noise. And when I looked at the side of our tent I was convinced that I saw the shadow of a bear! I woke Daddy up, and before I knew it the "bear" unzipped the tent! I forgot if I screamed or not, but when the tent flap opened it was just my mom!She had just got back from using the bathroom!
My week has been good! I have a surgery that I've been waiting for scheduled for next week! I was really scared about it at first... But I'm a little more at ease about it. But I'm definitely still nervous!
I am SOOO excited for camp!!!!!!! It will be the perfect recovery activity! I can't wait to "see" all my friends!❤️

Savannah Dawn Marie

Rebekah said...

Glad it really was your mom and not a bear unzipping your tent. :D
Oh, I'm sure that's both exciting and nerve wracking. I'll be praying for you.
Hopefully you'll be able to get a lot written during camp. <3

Unknown said...

Thanks! Yeah... It is exciting and nerve wracking! I've been wanting this surgery for four years now.
I'm hoping I can work on both of my WIPs next month! I'm not sure how that will work out... But I'll try!

Rebekah said...

That would be fun if you could work on two projects. :D