Background

Friday, June 24, 2022

The Old Porch Swing

 Good morning!

I wasn't going to give you anything besides a life update today. I hadn't even really thought about trying to find something to post until last night. And then I only had a short time. So you get a short poem.

This week has been hot. We did get clouds on Wednesday and some yesterday. But they weren't thick, heavy clouds except some yesterday. But no rain. I'm glad I don't have to mow this week. The heat is supposed to break on Sunday and at least the beginning of next week is supposed to be in the 80ºs instead of 90ºs+. I'll go for that.

I have been writing pretty steadily this week on Don Wood. I jotted down the last scenes I needed and last night I started on what might be the final scene. So exciting to be almost done!!! Then it will have to be edited, formatted, cover designed, proof copy ordered, read and edited again all before it gets into your hands. But at least you shouldn't have to wait months for it. That's one thing I like about indie publishing instead of traditional. I can finish a story and don't have to wait a year before it becomes available.

Let's see, what else has happened this week? I've worked on getting girls registered for camp, and have gotten some other behind the scenes stuff done. Hard to believe the gates open on Monday! And I can't believe a week from today is July! Wow!

Well, I need to work on other things, so enjoy this short poem and I hope to see you next week.

 

 

The Old Porch Swing

Fondly I gaze
As I swing to and fro,
At the beauty before me
On the flowers that grow.

The warm summer breezes
How gently they blow,
And they sway the old porch swing
As if they did know,

That the memories they bring,
And that over me flow
Are the sweet days of childhood
I spent swinging to and fro.

So I sit here and dream
Of the times long ago
On the dear old porch swing
As I sway to and fro. 

 

Do you have a porch swing?
Have you had a hot week?
What do you enjoy doing on summer days?

4 comments:

Chloe said...

This was a lovely poem! We don't have a porch swing, but I like them! This week has been in the 90s and it got to 100 yesterday. I enjoy sitting outside and reading or writing during summer days. Also working in the yard is fun. :)

Rebekah said...

I like porch swings too but we also don't have one. :)
If it's not too hot and humid I don't mind being outside, but I don't do too well in too much heat for too long. Maybe that's one reason I love fall and winter. :D

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all, I love this background! I think maybe THIS is my favorite one you've ever done! (Yes, yes, I know I think that about alot of your backgrounds, but this one made me smile as soon as I got on here!)
I'm glad you didn't just give us a life update! I really like those, but I look forward to the stories and things, no matter how long they are, too. I enjoyed this poem; it sorta puts you into a relaxing state of mind. <3
We don't have a porch swing; I was actually nervous about them when I was younger. Hot is one down-side to summer. It's been warmer here, but now that I think about it I haven't really been out except earlier and later in the day except maybe the day I cut the grass, so I don't know that it's been too hot. Let's see... On summer days, I enjoy reading and writing of course. I also enjoy laying in the grass and letting the sun shine on my face sometimes (though the bugs soon make me get up!) I also enjoy going to the library on alot of summer days and participating in things there. What do you like to do on summer days?
~CeeCee

Rebekah said...

I don't think I've every used this background before, CeeCee, so I thought it would be fun and fitting. :) I'll try to make sure I have something picked out for next Friday.
Hmm, in summer I tend to stay inside and read and write and work on blog posts and dream of cool fall days. :D And the last two years I've gone swimming with my nieces and nephews once each summer in their pool.