Background

Friday, June 3, 2022

A Writer's Regret

 Good morning and happy Friday!

    Today is my sister's birthday and my parents' anniversary. (Yep, they share the same day just like I share a birthday with my Mom.) It's a beautiful morning. The sun is shining and the birds are singing and chirping. It's in the 50s right now, but is supposed to warm up to the 70s today. Not sure if my sis and I will walk before breakfast or afterwards. We do need to clean the house.

We've had rain, and humidity and warmth, and are now enjoying the cooler temperatures. Lovely walking weather.

This week has been pretty normal. I taught my final writing class for the school year. I mowed the yard. I've been writing. I think I have at least 5k already this week. And I know what comes next, so I'm eager to write it. This version of "Don Wood" is so much better than the last one. Don actually cares about this mystery instead of not being interested.

I've been practicing the violin this week as we have ensemble practice right after church on Sunday. And the children are playing bells for church, so we'll have to run over our song between Sunday school and church. They love playing bells!

I really had no idea what to post this week. So I looked at some of my old poems I've posted and this one just seemed to fit. Enjoy! :D

 

 

A Writer’s Regret


Dear readers and critics, family and friend,
I jot these regrets on paper with pen.
I fear I am ailing, I must have a disease.
It comes suddenly upon me like some giant sneeze!
There’s nothing to do, I can’t stop it you know
For if I should try to a gasket might blow.
Perhaps it is useless to try and explain
I have some strange symptoms, but no fever or pain.
My brain races on full of stories and words
It won’t stop its spinning, it’s growing absurd!
My mind moves much faster than hand with a pen
Perhaps I’ll get NEO and try him instead.
It still doesn’t help much, oh what can I say
It’s no use, I’ve failed to write them today.
The words keep on coming, I’m trying to sleep
Forget what they said, it’s no use to count sheep.
The stories are waiting, piling up with great speed
I know you are longing, your story to read.
But alas I can’t help it, I’m very perplexed
What thing should I write first, and what should be next?
Confused and bewildered, I’m sure you can see
The serious trouble that now faces me.
So accept my apology, understand my regret
If your story is not written, don’t go off and fret.
Some day it will happen, I think, I believe,
But now it seems something hard to achieve.

 

Was your week normal or different?
Do you ever have more than one story wanting to be written at once?
Should I post another short scene next week or a poem or nothing?

8 comments:

Chloe said...

Happy anniversary to your parents and birthday blessings to your sister! How special.

Do you teach your writing classes at a homeschool co-op type group or just whomever and wherever?

The poem made me smile! I know the feeling! I have a lot of stories in my head and sometimes I'll start writing one, then I become more excited about a different one and start it, or I'll just dream about them all. :)

My week was pretty normal, but my normal can be different each week. ;) I read a lot and did some sewing.

I hope you post something next week. I don't mind re-reading stories if you repost something, or another scene or poem. Coming to see what you've written on this blog is a fun part of my week!

I have a question if you have time. I am on the Isabella Alden blog and there are free stories. It says you can print a PDF to read them if you'd like, but actually within some of the stories, it has the standard copyright with do not reproduce this, etc. Do you know how that works for printing the PDF just for my personal reading? I sent them a letter asking about that a few weeks ago but I haven't heard back.

Rebekah said...

Hopefully I can find some time between now and next Friday to find a story I haven't posted in a while to share. :)

As for your question, the copyright is there because it is copyrighted material, but if they said you can print a copy, then they are giving you permission to do so. It's going to still have the copyright page, but that just means you can't go and print a dozen copies to give to all your friends. You can print a copy for your own reading without any worry about violating any copyright law. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved this poem!! It sounded just like you!

And wow! Now I want to know what special day your brother was born on! And I'm glad you found a mystery Don cares about!

This week has been normal in some ways, but different in others. We've been doing alot of school (finally finished up today except for math which is gonna take some work during the summer!!) and just been at home, but we also had a special teen weekend at church (even the preaching was geared for teens!) Your week sounds fun, but also fairly relaxing!
Most of the time I only like to have one project going on a time since that's all I feel I can handle. I do get alot of ideas sometimes though, but I like to either keep them for later or stop everything else and only work on it. And yes, you should most certainly post something next week!! I've had times I've woke up to thinking about that you were gonna post today!!
~Sophia Ellen

Chloe said...

Okay, great! Thank you!!

Rebekah said...

Oh, it sounded like me, did it? :)

My brother wasn't born on any special day, but his first son was born the day before his birthday.

I remember those days of trying to finish up school for the year. Why is it always math that must be worked on the longest?
Well, I will try to find a story I haven't just posted for next Friday. Not sure what it will be, but hopefully I can find something. :)

Chloe said...

Sophia Ellen, I thought the same thing about Rebekah's brother's birthday! :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute and insightful poem.

Victoria

Rebekah said...

Thanks. :)