Background

Friday, September 17, 2021

Through an Author's Eyes - Part 6

 Good Morning,

Happy Friday. We can at least pretend it's Friday since I'm still not sure what day of the week it is. And if anyone finds any extra days, they are probably mine because I seem to be missing several days a week.

This was a different week. I worked on the house Monday and Wednesday. Went up and visited my grandparents on Tuesday, and yesterday and today I'm working on computer things, camp things, writing things, catching up things, etc. and helping on the house when needed. It was nice to actually wear something besides my work clothes! Our house is slowly getting put back together. Praying our friend who does construction and building and such will be able to come over and help soon. He said he would, but we don't know when.

 I wrote last evening. It was the first time since last Tuesday. And I got 414 words written. That's the most I've written in one day since August 9. 

Well, I'm keeping this short because I have other things to do. Besides, you get a full 1k words today. Yep, this is the next part of Through an Author's Eyes. I hope you enjoy it.

 

 Part 6

    It wasn’t until the next day that Levi had time to give her a lesson in horseback riding. “I don’t know a thing about horses,” Annette admitted, eyeing the horse before her with some doubt. “Are they supposed to be this big?”
    “Yep. They haven’t changed sizes since yesterday.”
    “They seem bigger, at least this one does. Or maybe I feel smaller just thinking about riding one. Are you going to lead the horse?” she asked, buckling on the helmet Levi handed her.
    “Just at first. Mouse is a gentle horse. She won’t buck you unless you try any tricks.”
    Swallowing hard, Annette squeaked, “What sort of tricks?”
    An amused grin had crossed Levi’s face. “Oh, like putting a bur under her saddle blanket, or trying to stand up in the saddle. She doesn’t like trick riding.”
    “You don’t need to worry, Mouse,” Annette whispered, gingerly patting the horse’s neck. “I don’t have any burs and there is no way anyone could pay me to stand up in your saddle!”
    “Come on, let’s head out to the ring. Here,” he thrust the reins into her hands. “Lead her out.”
    “Alone?”
    Levi rolled his eyes and gave her a slight push. “Get going. You’re the one who wants to ride a horse, remember?”
    Squaring her shoulders, Annette tipped her chin up and started off. Wearing Savanna’s boots made her feel as though she had to take long strides. “Come along, Mouse,” she said, hoping the nervous feeling in her stomach would disappear. “I’m going to ride a horse today, and you are it.”
    Once in the pen, Levi asked, “Do you know how to mount?”
    “I should, I’ve written about it often enough. Want me try?” At his brief nod, she moved to the horse’s left side, reached up and grasped the saddle horn with one hand and the back of the saddle with the other. Now all she had to do was find the stirrup with her left foot. It all looked so easy in movies. Somehow, after a bit of hopping on one foot, she found the elusive stirrup and stuck her foot in it. Mouse side stepped and Annette found herself hopping even more.
    Somehow, she wasn’t quite sure how, she managed to swing her right leg up and over the saddle. Letting out a sigh, she slouched. She had done it.
    “Sit up straight!” Levi’s quick command, jerked her upright. “Both feet need to be in the stirrups.”
    Looking down, while still trying to sit upright, was a bit of a challenge, but she found the other stirrup and rested her foot in it. She was on a horse. She had no idea what would come next, but she was on it.
    “Let me adjust the stirrups,” Levi commented, pushing her foot out of one and making adjustments on some buckle.
    After the second one was fixed, and her booted feet were back in, Annette looked at her instructor. “What now?”
    “Put your heels down.”
    “Aren’t I supposed to put my toes in so the heal of my boots hooks on the stirrup?”
    “No! You don’t want to get your feet caught in the stirrups if something should happen and you get thrown from the horse.”
    At that Annette’s face grew slightly pale. “Th-thrown?”
    “Don’t scare her, Levi,” Savanna ordered from her perch on the fence. “Annette, Mouse isn’t going to throw you.”
    Levi showed her how to hold the reigns and then stepped away from the horse. “You know how to turn her?” he asked.
    Annette nodded. “I think so. Like this?” And she moved the reins. When he nodded, Annette ventured a question, “Is this a soft mouthed horse?”
    An amused expression crossed Levi’s face but he replied, “Pretty much all our horses are. Are you ready to try it?”
    Trying to decide if she was nervous, scared or just plain excited, Annette nodded.
    “Okay, then, touch her with your heels and tell her to walk on.”
    As the animal started forward at her words and the touch of her booted heels, Annette gripped the saddle horn with her free hand. For several minutes all she could do was hold on in disbelief. She was doing it. She, Annette Jasper was actually riding a horse by herself! Making sure she sat straight with her heels down, she walked the willing horse around the corral. “I’m riding!” she managed to exclaim venturing a glance at Savanna as she rode past her.
    “Uh huh. You look pretty good on there too.”
    “Nudge her a little more,” Levi instructed from the center of the ring. “You can’t really call it riding until you’ve ridden faster than a walk.”
    Though she swallowed hard, Annette again followed orders. Each step seemed to jar her backbone until she got settled into the rhythm.
    When Levi finally told her to pull up the horse, Annette was feeling pretty good. “I rode a horse. Can I go on a long ride soon? Please!” she begged, looking down at Levi as he stood at the horse’s head.
    He looked up. “Soon. If you head out on a trail ride tomorrow you won’t be walking for a few days. As it is you’re going to be mighty sore. Go ahead and dismount.”
    Swinging down from the saddle wasn’t hard, but when she attempted to walk, she knew Levi had been right. “I don’t know if I’ll be able to walk properly again,” she moaned with a grin.

    The next few days were busy for Annette, she adjusted to the different time zone, rode Mouse any time Levi had time and would let her, and helped here and there, writing off and on. So far there had been no real adventures, but her characters were enjoying themselves, so she didn’t worry.
    At the supper table, several days into her stay, Uncle Cleveland turned to her and asked, “How is your story coming along?”
    “Okay, I guess. Kate, she’s my MC, is learning to ride a horse.” A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

Do you want the next part of this story next week?
Have you found any extra days?
How has your week been?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read! I have to be reminded to put my heels down too!
Yes, I want the next part of this story next week!! Unless it's this vs. Kate and Kylie, that is.... ;)
Nope, no extra days here! I think one of mine might have run away, if you get one extra returned to you.
My week has been wonderful, mostly filled with school. With the mini-camp going on though, I've written more this week than I have in the last couple, which was SO fun!
I was happy to see you got to write a little! After not writing for a couple weeks, or even just not working on a certain WIP, it can feel so exciting and even relieving to get back to it!
Were you able to make more progress on the FFF stuff/are you feeling better about that?
~Sophia E. Davis

Rebekah said...

Sorry, probably no Kate & Kylie yet. :)
I'll keep my eyes open for extra days.
Yes, it is so nice to be getting back to writing.
And yes, FFF is coming along. I'm still waiting on some things from people, but hopefully they'll be able to get them to me in the next day or two.
Thanks for commenting!