Background

Friday, September 10, 2021

Authentic?

 Good morning Friday Fiction Fans,

I hope you've all had a good week. Mine has been one of those weeks where you're not sure if you've gotten much done but the days are disappearing much too quickly.

I'm continuing to do what work on the house that I can. Sometimes this means I only get a few boards out in a day because they are difficult. They could be screwed or nailed, and if they are screwed the heads might be stripped which means they are almost impossible to get out. Nails are easier except when they've been "pigeon-toed"into a top or bottom board and you really can't get anything in there to loosen it. The floor has been jacked up and today the plan is to start putting new solid floors down.

As for writing, I wrote on Monday and Tuesday. Nothing since then. But I did format two pocket books and got the covers done. And I started work on the cover for one of this year's Christmas Collection stories. So I guess I've gotten something done.

Oh, and I've been working on the Five Fall Favorites stuff. Usually I have everything almost ready by this time, but not this year. This year has been so much busier than other years. Pray that it all comes together well.

 I'm only giving you a short story/scene I wrote at camp, but I did post a new page called "Through an Author's Eyes" which is 5 parts (5,000 words) of a story I started a few years ago that was a "just for fun" story. Next week I'm planning on giving you Part 6, so if you haven't already read Through an Author's Eyes, go check it out so you'll be ready for the next part. Now, enjoy! (And yes, I'm keeping things short so you have more time to go read the other story.)

 

    Courtenay stood by the side of the old stone wall. It was more than just a wall, it was part of a building, an old home, a store. Ivy grew up one wall across the narrow road, and there were signs of more on another wall. Underfoot were cobblestones, and just ahead the narrow road led under an arched entryway. The clop of horse’s hooves, and the rattle of wheels over the stones were the only sounds to be heard in the silent street.
    Pressing herself closer to the wall, Courtenay observed the bier approaching the barred gates of the local prison. It stopped and a guard appeared.
    One of the doors creaked open and a rough wooden box was carried out by two men and shoved into the back of the bier. As one of the guards turned from the box, he sneezed loudly. Before he could do anything a second and then a third sneeze cut the silence. The fourth sneeze sent the man’s hat and wig onto the cobblestones and everyone, guards and driver burst into laughter.
    Clutching her notebook in front of her, Courtenay marched forward a smile twitching her face. “Jared, this is the third take we’ve done of this scene and you keep sneezing! What is wrong?”
    “It’s . . . it’s . . . Achoo!!” Jared sneeze once more and stepped away from the horse-drawn conveyance. “I think it’s the authentic ancient dust you requested. I don’t sneeze except when I’m around the bier. Maybe . . . may-- Achoo!”
    Courtenay shook her head. “Authentic, ancient dust indeed. Maybe we’ll just have one of the other guards carry the coffin out because a sneezing guard doesn’t fit the grim story we are telling in this film.”
    “That would be very nice,” Jared nodded pulling out a handkerchief and blowing his nose. “I know biers are nothing to sneeze at, but I-- Achoo!”
    A general laugh went around the group, and Courtenay shook her head. 

 

Have you read "Through an Author's Eyes"?
Do you have any "authentic ancient" or even "antique" dust?
Has your week been normal or extra busy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. This one had me a little concerned until Courtenay walked over to that sneezing guard!
I did read "Through an Author's Eyes"! I love seeing the thoughts of a writer written in a story! I really do think that writers look at the world, especially when it comes to people, a bit differently, but in a good way. ;)
Authentic ancient or antique dust? Well, the dust around my bedroom seems to have its mind made up to look kinda antique sometimes!
Oh, the way last week was for you sounds kinda like last week for me. One of those weeks where you know you've been busy, but you can't really think of what all you really got done, and even though each day seemed to be long enough, the week as a whole just zipped on by! It's kinda funny how the days do that.
And I've been praying for you about the Five Fall Favorites thing. It sounds like I might need to add those pesty-sounding boards to those prayers! ;)
-Sophia Ellen D.

Rebekah said...

Yes, it was a good thing Courtenay walked over. :D
So, perhaps you'll enjoy reading more about the characters in "Through an Author's Eyes".
Maybe you have somehow gotten a hold of some antique dust, Sophia! If you want any more perhaps I could mail you some. :P
Yes, those crazy weeks often seem to be missing at least one day, don't they?
Thanks for your prayers! The FFF is coming together, but it could still use more prayers. :) And so could our whole house project!