Background

Friday, August 27, 2021

Peace

 Good morning!

Is it Friday? These last few weeks have been so crazy and busy that I am having a very hard time figuring out what day it is. They all sort of run together and get mixed up and seem to trade places with other days leaving me confused and not quite sure.

As you may have guessed, I spent time working on the house this week. Tore out my parents' room. Now we need to rip up carpets and do a few other little things that haven't gotten done before we can start putting it back together. A friend of ours who does construction is supposed to help us, but he can't get to it for about 3 weeks. Pray that we can start doing things before then because the stress of living in this crowded mess is hard. My parents have to sleep in the living room, but my mom's "desk" is in the kitchen. And to get to the bathroom you have to go through the construction zone.

As for my writing, well, I've managed to keep the 100 words a day going. On Wednesday I actually had 30 minutes for leisurely writing, but I had to find a place to hide and do it because we had guys putting in a new AC/heating unit (they were here for 3 days and we were without AC for 2 days and a night) and they were upstairs and down. But I did find a place and got almost 300 words written and I got to reread my story and do some editing of it the way I like to do when I'm writing.

 Yesterday my mom, sis, and I went and watched my oldest niece play her first volleyball game. They won. They played again in the afternoon and won that game, so they are playing this morning. I won't be going. Sis and I are going to finish cleaning the house. It is so dusty and dirty!

And I have many other things I need to work on. And this afternoon my dad and I are supposed to pull up the carpets. That should be–interesting.

Today's story is the first of the ones I wrote from picture prompts at camp. Enjoy. Sorry it's rather short. It was either that or just an update.

 

    Isaiah strode up the rocky hill as his eyes scanned the area for sight of his cousin. He had watched Ember start up the trail alone, but that had been at least two hours ago. Where was she? Perhaps he should have followed her then. But no, he could see she needed some space, some time away from the crowd of cousins, aunts and uncles, cousins’ children, and in-laws, second cousins, and every other relative who had gathered to celebrate Grandma’s ninety-ninth birthday.
    “Please, Lord,” Isaiah prayed silently, “help me find Ember before it gets dark.”
    Mounting a higher peak, Isaiah turned to look at the sunset and saw, silhouetted against the sky, the form of his cousin. The trees, just bursting into leaves from the spring sunshine, stood whispering silently above her head. And the sky– Isaiah caught his breath at the sight. Pink, orange, yellow, and bits of blue all spread out as only the hand of a Master Painter could do it; their colors reflecting in the placid waters of the lake below.
    Unsure if he would wait or go to her, Isaiah stood still. Ember was dealing with grief Isaiah could only imagine, and he was hesitant to intrude. “I don’t know why you afflicted her in this way, Lord, but please comfort her.”
    A soft sob from the form on the rocks, send Isaiah down the hill to his cousin. Reaching her side, he wrapped an arm around her shoulder just as he used to do when they were kids and she had gotten hurt.
    Ember turned and buried her face in his shoulder. “I didn’t get to tell him, Zaiah,” she whispered, almost choking over a sob. “I didn’t get to tell him about the baby.”
    “Oh, Ember.” It was all Isaiah could say for a moment as he wrapped his other arm around her. “I’m sorry.”
    She sniffed. “I haven’t told anyone–until now. Except– except the doctor. I had a sonogram–”
    Isaiah waited.
    “It’s twins. Oh, Zaiah, what am I going to do? Why me?”
    “O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold I will lay thy stones with fair colors.” Gently, he turned so that Ember’s face was toward the sky. “Look at the colors, Emmy. God can paint even the darkest of times with light.” He felt her draw a shuddering breath. “And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.”
    Ember relaxed a little. “He won’t leave me, will He, Zaiah?”
    “No. He will never leave you. You can trust in Him, Emmy. And you can trust your children to Him too.”
    “Thank you. Thank you for coming to find me.” The words were a low whisper as the sun slipped to the top of the hills on the other side of the lake.
    “You’re welcome, Em. But let’s be getting back before it’s completely dark.”
    Ember nodded.
    Carefully, Isaiah helped his cousin back to the main path and they started back toward the noisy, happy gathering below.
 

Would you rather have a short story & update, or just an update?
Are your days of the week mixing up?
Any tips on pulling up carpet?

8 comments:

Sophia E. Davis said...

I HAVEN'T ALREADY READ THIS ONE!!! I was so excited to discover that! (didn't help that I had just downed a cup of coffee...) This one had my eyes filling with tears (which doesn't happen easily for me; it doesn't help that before reading that I had been thinking about if one of the Marines that was killed yesterday was one of my friends' dads, and then after that thinking about a boy I knew who's family was Muslim back when I was like eight and how mixed up he was trying to grow as a Christian between what he was told at home and at school; so I was emotional already and this just added to the heap of emotions, lol.) But I like Zaiah. Don't think I've ever seen that spelled that way; think I've always seen 'Saiah. Unique.
What kind of a question is that first one?! Of course a story and an update! (And ya know, Mike, if ya could appear soon, or really rather if information about Kate's husband, I'd be even more adamant about that...)
Uh, the days probably would be getting all jumbled, but I have a dry erase board divided up into sections for the different days that is hanging on the wall, so it keeps me on track! If I forget what day it is, I can just look at the board and see which square doesn't have anything checked off on it. That would be today, unless yesterday I just wasn't too productive or something.
Uh, tips on pulling up carpet? Never pulled up carpet, but of course I can come up with some tips! Have fun. Rip it with visciosness, just to have fun. Learn to spell visciousness and then share it with me. Ask your dad as many questions as you can think of while y'all work and then count how many you got to before his patience wore thin (I accidentally do that sometimes, but it only takes like 4 questions for my dad.) Um, lemme think. Oh! Sing songs from various movies and stuff while you work (that's always fun.) OH!!! OH!! I'VE GOT A GOOD ONE!! While you work, think about Kate and Kylie and Kate's husband!!!!!
And, of course, I've gotta come up with at least one question to ask, haha! Uh, let's see, random. What'd you have for breakfast? And surely I can come up with another one. Ummmmm, what are the last five things in your browsing history? And what's your favorite song? I could come up with heaps more, but I think that's enough to do whatever it is I'm doing. Antagonizing you? Amusing myself? Anyway...
--Sophia Ellen

Rebekah said...

Wow! This is the longest non spam comment I've gotten for quite a while. Yay! So glad I found a story that you hadn't already read. :)
You might have to reread short stories, but it's good to know you still want them. ;)
And to answer your questions:
I had cereal for breakfast.
I have no idea.
I don't have a favorite song.

Anonymous said...

I just wrote a whole long comment and then accidentally closed down the tab:(:(
Anyway, let me try again:)

WOW!! That story was amazing!! PLEEEAAASSSEEE write more about these people, I'm dying to get to know them and hear the entire back story! Can I please go to coffee with Ember??? I just want to give her a hug and make her laugh and share Scripture verses with her!!!! This story gave me such an overwhelming feeling of peace, resting in God's sovereignty, and made me so ridiculously CURIOUS!!!!

And, yes, I would always love a short story! :) I feel like today is either a Thursday or a Tuesday, but no way is it a Friday! I think the calendar got it wrong:):):)

-Edith

Rebekah said...

I've closed down tabs or deleted messages without posting them before. No fun.
Aw, I'm so happy to know you liked this story so much. To be honest, I'm rather curious about them too. I don't know when or if I'll write more, but this is a story that I might.
Good to know you don't mind short stories if I can't post a longer one.
And you too? At least I'm not the only one who doesn't know what day it is!
Thanks for commenting, Edith. :)

Lydia Coral W. said...

Awww, Auntie Rebekah!! I LOVE that!! I don't know how I managed to miss it at camp, but I obviously did! I want to know Ember's story!!! Please please please please pleeeeeeease can we have more? More like a whole story more? ;)
And of course, we always want a short story AND an update!! XD

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Lydia. :) Some of the first stories I wrote at camp were only posted under the picture prompts and not in Story Hollow, so you might not have seen them.
I'd like to have more of this story myself, but we'll have to see if/when that happens.
Well, it's nice to know that you still want story and update even if the story is super short. ;)

Heidi said...

yes!!! I second this request! It would be A.M.A.Z.I.N.G to get a longer to story (or book) about ember and Isaiah!!!

Rebekah said...

Maybe I need to write this story down on my list of unfinished stories. :)