Background

Friday, August 6, 2021

July Story - Part 2

 Good morning!

Can you believe it is already the 6th of August? Summer is closing in on fall, the year is more than half over, and God is still on the throne.

KDWC is almost over for another camp. We'll clean up, pack up tents, and everyone will head home. Virtually, that is. I have two more picture prompts to write but I think I can get them written either today or today and tomorrow. I've enjoyed this break from all my other stories while still writing. Some of the scenes probably won't go beyond what I wrote, others might someday get more written. And yes, I'll probably share some more on here.

I worked as an election judge for a special election on Tuesday. We had more people voting than I thought we'd have. We ended the day with 85 voters in my polling place. 

The rest of this week I've been working on trying to catch up on computer stuff, or taking care of things, putting things away, and other things. This evening my nieces and nephews are coming over so their parents can have a date. The boys will probably be helping take down the last shelves and pulling the paneling off the sewing room. We are hoping to start the actual demolition of the walls and floor and stuff tomorrow.

 Today's story is part 2 of that 4th of July story I gave you a few weeks back. Not sure how many people read it since no one commented, but someone told me they wanted more, so here is the next part.

 

    “Kate, I’ll reschedule. I can’t just leave you here alone if you’re having contractions.” Kylie stood near the front door, her purse over one shoulder but a frown on her face. “I mean, what if this time it is real, and the baby decides to come, and I’m not here?”
    “Kylie, I’m fine! These contractions are not even close together. How many other women have been left alone three weeks before their baby is due? I’m not made of glass.”
    “But I told Joe–”
    “Kylie Smith, you are going to go have lunch with Mike. If you don’t, I’ll text him and tell him you’re sick. That will bring him here.” And Kate rested her hands on her hips.
    “But I’m not sick.”
    “You’ve almost talked yourself into being sick with nervousness. Come on, you’re an extravert.”
    Kylie sighed. “Kate, just because I’m an extravert it doesn’t mean I never get anxious or nervous. I mean I haven’t talked to Mike for two years. We’ve changed.” Her voice dropped. “At least I’ve changed.” She shook her head quickly as though to shake off her thoughts and said somewhat ruefully, “And now we’re having lunch together. I don’t know why I agreed to do this.” She chewed on her lower lip and looked out the front door.
    Her twin placed a hand on her arm. “You’ll be fine, Kylie,” Kate said softly. “If I weren’t so noticeably pregnant I’d be tempted to trade places with you again.” Her remark brought a smile to Kylie’s face.
    “Somehow I don’t think Joe would like to learn you went out to lunch with a strange guy.”
    “Oh, I’d just tell him I was interviewing the man as a possible candidate for brother-in-law.” Kate smiled innocently.
    “Kate!” Kylie clutched her purse strap and her eyes glared at her sister. “Don’t ever suggest such things if Mike is around! I may not even like him anymore.”
    “Well,” Kate said practically, “you won’t know unless you actually meet him. Now, if you aren’t out in that car and backing out of the driveway in two minutes I’m texting Mike and telling him you might be coming down with something.”
    “You’re impossible!”
    “I know.”
    Kylie couldn’t help but grin at her sister. Sometimes Kate got under her skin, but she couldn’t do without her. “If you start having contractions closer together or stronger, let me know at once! I’ll come right home.”
    “I’m fine, and I’ll let you know. Now get going!”
    Kylie got. Moments later she was driving toward the local cafe, a place much loved by nearly everyone. “Lord,” she prayed, “I don’t know what I’m doing. Please help me. It would be nice if I still liked Mike, but it has been so long. And I’m nervous. Why did I run into him on the 4th? Please be with Kate while I’m gone. I don’t know which I’m more nervous about–Kate having her baby or having lunch with Mike.” She heaved a sigh and pulled into the parking lot of the cafe glad to find it not as busy. The lunch rush must not have arrived yet. “Well, here we are. Please help me, Father!”
    She could see Mike standing casually near the front of the quaint building. One hand was shoved in his pants pocket just as he used to stand waiting for her. Pausing before she got out, Kylie studied him, for it had been dark when she had seen him on the 4th. His hair was cut short but there were signs of the ways that showed when it was longer. He was watching a mother with three children walk by and a smile spread across his face.
    Letting out a breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding, Kylie grabbed her purse and reached for the door handle. “He still looks like the Mike I knew.”
    The air was humid and hot. Mike saw her and smiled as she approached. “Hi,” he said. “Hungry?”
    Kylie nodded. “It doesn’t look too busy. Looks like we beat the lunch rush. Thanks.” She stepped through the door Mike opened for her. “Do you eat here often?”
    “I’ve actually never eaten here before,” admitted Mike casting a quick glance around. “Reminds me of Ma’s Kitchen back in Iowa.”
    “Table for two?”
    Kylie nodded and then followed the waitress to a booth near the back of the cafe.
    As Mike slid into the seat across from her, Kylie wondered for the seventh or was it the seventieth time why she had agreed to this plan of having lunch together. Picking up her menu, she scanned it even though she already knew what she wanted.
    “So, what’s the best thing to get?”
    Kylie looked up. “That depends on if you want chicken for beef.”
    “Tell me the best of both and I’ll pick.”
    A smile found it’s way to Kylie’s lips. That was exactly what Mike from two years ago would have said. “The grilled chicken sandwich is the best chicken meal. But if you want beef go with the smothered cow.”
    “Wow, they both sound good.” And Mike studied both selections with care. “Although a smothered cow sounds a bit–interesting. But I’ll try it. What are you getting? Chicken?”
    Kylie nodded. “Sometimes I get the pasta, but Kate can’t stand the smell of chicken right now and I’ve been longing for some.”
    “When’s she due?”
    “Three weeks. She’s had some contractions today so if I get a call or text, I’m leaving.”
    Mike grinned. “I don’t blame you. Is this the first niece, nephew–?”
    “Yes. Kate and Joe decided not to find out and I can’t wait!”
    Just then their waitress returned with waters for them and took their order. When she left, Kylie squeezed two lemon slices into her water and then ate another one.
    “I still don’t know how you can stand to eat those things.” And Mike made face.
    Kylie laughed remembering his shock the first time she had eaten a lemon slice.  

How has your week been?
Do you like to eat lemon slices at a restaurant?
Are you ready for summer to end?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this story...please write more!!

I also just finished Phil Wood and loved it!! I loved how all the other generations from the other books were still in this one:) Thank you for explaining what was in that will!

- Edith

Sophia E. Davis said...

Aww! I wondered what you ended up writing for that fireworks prompt! What branch is Kylie's husband?
I wonder if it's a boy or a girl... (the baby, I mean, not the husband, haha!)
The week here has been wonderful! I'm finally getting out of the "writing slump" or whatever you want to call it I was finding myself in.
I don't like to eat lemon slices at a restaurant. I think I may have before though, out of curiosity or to get it out of my way. If I could trade in the lemon for a peppermint though...
And I kinda am ready for the summer to end. I'm looking forward to school starting and the things that come with fall, such as the weather and the candles. But summer ending also means less writing and reading time (at least writing and reading stuff that I choose to write and read)....

-Sophia Davis

Rebekah said...

Aw, thanks, Edith. Glad you are enjoying this story. :) I guess I should figure out what happened.

And thanks for reminding me about the will. ;)

Rebekah said...

I have no idea what branch Kate's husband is in. ;) I should ask her or Kylie sometime. :D
I enjoy lemons at restaurants.
Ah yes, the end of summer and not as much time to read or write.
Thanks for reading and commenting, Sophia!

Sophia E. Davis said...

Oh. Can he maybe be Marine Corps?!?! :)

Rebekah said...

I don't know. :D *tries to remember if I've had any Marine Corps in any stories* I did have one in "Goodbye isn't in the Dictionary." ;)
But that doesn't mean I couldn't have another. I guess I'll have to find out.

Lydia Coral W. said...

Aww, I meant to comment on the first part and I forgot!!��‍♀️ I love this story and I DO want more����

Lydia Coral W. said...

Oh, it doesn't accept emojis :D Sorry!

Rebekah said...

:) There was a bit going on when I posted the first part. :) I'm happy to know you are enjoying it. ;)
P.S. I'll just have to guess what the emojis are. :P

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this part has such an eye-catching first line!!! I'm quite interested to see if the baby will come during Kate's lunch or not...
I agree with Sophia, Marine Corps would be an awesome branch! :)
-Charis

Rebekah said...

I'm glad you liked that last line, Charis, because right now I have no idea what comes next. Nor when the baby will come. ;)
Another vote for Marines, huh?