Background

Friday, April 30, 2021

A Lesson in Contentment - Part 5

 Good morning, FFFs,

It's a beautiful sunny Friday morning here. We had rain earlier this week and yesterday was the kind of day that just says Spring! My mom and I are planning on going to buy flowers to plant around the bird bath/fountain this afternoon. And tomorrow we go to my brother's house to finally celebrate my youngest niece's 1st birthday. (She's only 13 months old now, so she won't care that her "party" is a month late.)

As for writing and everything, I've managed to get some done. I need to write 400 words today to reach my goal. That doesn't sound like much when I'm used to writing 1k a day, but the last few days have been crazy and yesterday I was struggling to get 500 written. Hopefully it won't be too hard. As long as my brain will focus. It has been bouncing all over the place these last few days. I think it needs a rest. :) Or it needs cleaned out. However, the only way I know to clean my brain out is to get things done, and life has been so crazy and busy and more things just keep getting added to it, that I'm not sure what will happen. I'd love for a full week of boring nothing!

What about you? Do you want things to happen or would you rather they slowed down?

 Here's the final part of this story. It's not the end of the stories about Kelsey and Zoe, but turning the stories into a book is one of the things in my brain that haven't gotten done. Oh, well. Enjoy!

 

A Lesson in Contentment
Part 5 

    It was a more subdued group who gathered their things together and prepared to leave Miss Olive’s hospitable home.
    “How are you getting home, Kels?” Zoe asked, noticing the other girls dashing through the light rain to cars where a parent or friend was waiting. Several of them left together, but Kelsey didn’t seem in any hurry.
    “Oh, I’ll just walk home,” was the easy reply. “That’s how I came.” She started up the steps to change her clothes.
    “But it wasn’t raining then,” protested Zoe.
    Kelsey shrugged with a smile. “It won’t hurt me. I’ll just put on my wet clothes, and I’ll–”
    “Kels!” Zoe exclaimed. “You can’t go out there again and get wet! You’d end up sick.”
    At that Kelsey burst into a merry laugh. “Me? Sick? Zoe, I don’t think a little more rain will hurt me. I’m not going to melt and it isn’t cold.”
    “Aunt Olive.” Zoe called for reinforcements. “Tell Kelsey she shouldn’t think of walking home in the rain after she’s already been out walking in the rain once today.”
    Coming out of the kitchen with Aunt Olive, Wally said, “Why don’t we take her home, Zoe. I have my car and nothing else to do the rest of the day except drop Candace off at her house.”
    “Oh, say you’ll let us, Kels, please!” Zoe begged. “Aunt Olive, tell her it’s all right to accept.”
    Aunt Olive shook her head. “Zoe, Zoe, why don’t you ask her and then give her a chance to answer?”
    “Because I’m afraid she’ll say no.”
    Kelsey looked from one face to another. “I don’t want to inconvenience you if you have to take Candace home–” she began.
    Just then Candace burst into the hall where the others were standing. “Wally, you’re a dear to offer to take me home,” she began not seeming to notice she was interrupting someone, “but I’m going to go with Violet. Her father came to pick her up and said he’d take me too. He’s driving his new car, Zoe! I’m sure you’d be welcome too unless you want to ride in Wally’s old car.” She smiled at her cousins.
    “I thought you liked my car,” Wally said.
    “I do, when I can’t get a ride in a newer model.” She flashed a dazzling smile at him before turning to her other cousin. “Zoe, do you want to go with us?”
    But Zoe shook her head. “No, Wally and I are going to take Kelsey home. Have fun.”
    It was only then that Candace acknowledged Kelsey. With a nod, she said, “Bye, Kelsey.” Then not giving anyone time to say another word, she whirled around and disappeared.

    In a little while Kelsey found herself riding with Zoe and her brother, giving directions for how to get to her house but not saying any other words. She was still thinking about Miss Olive’s story.
    “That’s our house,” she said at last, pointing to a narrow brick structure two stories high. “You can let me off here. Zoe, I’ll bring your dress back to you.”
    “Oh, keep it. It looks better on you than it does on me. Besides, I never looked good in it, did I Wally?”
    Kelsey didn’t hear his answer, if he gave one, for she was already out of the car, her wet garments clutched in her arms. “Thanks for the lift,” she turned to say, her smile bright.
    “You’re welcome. See you on Monday, Kels!”
    As Kelsey ran across the yard to the porch, Zoe watched as the front door opened and girls of all sizes poured onto the covered porch and the sound of their laughter and chatter reached the car.
    “She reminds me of Aunt Olive.”
    Zoe turned to her brother. “I was thinking the same thing. And she’s just like those flowers she picked this afternoon. She brightens things up considerably. I want to take her home.”

Have you ever felt like your brain was overloaded?
Would you like a slow or a busy week?
What do you want to read next?