Background

Friday, March 5, 2021

Travels of Tracy – Summer

 Hello, FFFs,

It's been a lovely spring week. Yesterday's temperatures reached into the 70s and the sun shone brightly in the sky. Today we might have rain, but that's okay. We've had sun every day this week since Sunday.

Here's a peak into my week:

Saturday– Gathered everything for decorating for the luncheon and then in the afternoon my sister and I joined a few others and set up and decorated for the Widows' Valentine Luncheon that had only been postponed three times. :P

Sunday– Right after church we had the luncheon. We were missing quite a few widows and secret sisters, but we did enjoy finally getting to have it. Afterwards we cleaned up and headed home. I read in the afternoon.

Monday– Cleaning up the decorations and packing them away for next year, or putting things like suitcases and the globe away. Yes, we did a travel theme this year. I also wrote over 2k words that evening on "Phil Wood".

Tuesday– My mom and I took down the rest of the winter decorations and now we're really ready for spring. I know some of you probably don't get spring in March, but we do. Our crocuses are blooming and I expect we'll have daffodils blooming in a few weeks. I wrote again in the evening.

Wednesday– That was Tax Day. Usually I try to get my taxes done in February after the luncheon, but since the luncheon didn't happen until the last of February, taxes didn't happen either. But I got them done! It felt so freeing! More writing done that evening.

Thursday– I got different things worked on, and walked with my best friend and caught up with her. I also wrote again. This story is just over 25k words and the lowest word count I'm aiming for is 30k. Yep, it's almost done. I know the last things that have to happen. At least I think I do.

Today– My nieces and nephews are coming over this morning. We'll actually get to celebrate "Buddy's" birthday on his birthday. (No Buddy isn't his name, just the nickname I gave him.) He's turning 8.

Other odds and ends have gotten done this week. Like preparing for the next writing camp, and working on the "Anything" collection.

I hope you enjoy this summer story about Tracy. I must say I had fun writing her stories and this one made me laugh.

 

Travels of Tracy—Summer

    The hot summer sun shone down on the small, blue Road Runner which was near a wire fence. The windows were rolled down to catch what breeze was blowing over the sparsely vegetated land where the only signs of life were two curious horses. The only occupant of the car to be seen was a young woman whose tawny curls were pulled back in a loose ponytail by a yellow ribbon.
    “Oh, dear,” came a sigh as Tracy Linnet lifted her head from a map she had been poring over and stared about her. “Where on earth are we, Lyn?”
    There was no answer and Tracy looked at the seat beside her where her constant companion, a long-haired, yellow tabby usually rode. But the seat was empty.
    “Madalyn?”
    A light paw batted at her ear and Tracy twisted around to find her cat perched on the back of her seat. Pulling her down into her arms, she gently stroked the fur of her little friend saying, “Oh, Lyn, what are we to do now? I have no idea where we are, and I can’t drive a car that is out of gas, now can I, Lyn?
    A contented purr was the only answer, and Lyn blinked in the warm sunshine.
    “Well, we can’t just sit around here all day waiting for those horses to tell someone about us.” And Tracy tried to glare at the animals in question, but her sweet face wasn’t made for glaring and the most she could manage was a puckered frown. Picking up her purse and snatching her light straw hat from the floor of the car, Tracy opened her door and stepped outside. The glare of the sun was blinding and, after coaxing her cat to her shoulder, Tracy dug through her purse until she found her sunglasses. It was easier to see with them on, and eagerly Tracy peered about hoping to see a house or another car. It was no use. There wasn’t a house or car or other living being there except herself, her cat and the two horses on the other side of the fence.
    Tracy squared her shoulders and gave a nod of her head. “Well, Lyn, we’ll just have to go find someone. But where should we go?”
    Stepping around from one shoulder to the other, the cat’s tail swept over Tracy’s face and she uttered a loud “Meow,” in her ear.
    “If you had told me which direction to go before we got lost,” Tracy scolded as her cat leapt to her arms, “we wouldn’t be lost right now. You never were good at reading maps, Lyn. What will Tad say when I don’t arrive at his uncle’s by four o’clock?”
    Lyn blinked and yawned.
    “Oh, you’re no help. Maybe I’ll get better answers from the horses.” And Tracy timidly stepped near the fence. She had never been on a horse before and the only time she had been this close to one was when she was six.
    “Where do you horses live?” she asked politely, wishing that horses could talk. “I do wish you could take a message to your owner and tell him that a girl is stranded here without gas and helplessly lost. Would you be so kind as to do that?”
    The light colored horses pushed his nose over the fence and gave a half snort.
    “Oh dear, I was afraid you would say that.” Tracy’s shoulders slumped and she moaned, “I wish I were back at home or at college. At least I never ran out of gas there. Or got lost,” she added.
    Feeling the need to do something, she began to think and analyze her situation. If there were horses in a pasture, then somewhere there must be a house. Perhaps if she just followed the fence she would soon find a house and get the help she needed to set her on her way again. Quickly deciding which way looked more appealing, she was about to set off when a sudden movement off in the far distance caught her eye.
    “Is that another horse?” she mused. “Why, I do believe it is and there is a rider on it! Oh delightful! Now if only I could get his attention. Yoo hoo!” she called, but her voice couldn’t cover that length of space.
    “Lyn, we’ll just have to go and ask for help.” Making her careful way to an opening between two posts which would admit her if she slipped in sideways and ducked her head, she hesitated. Looking at the distant rider she was unable to tell which direction he was going. “I just have to reach him,” she decided.
    The horses moved aside as Tracy, after setting her cat carefully down, managed to squeeze through the fence. Calling to her cat, Tracy started off, but much to her dismay, the horses decided to come along. Fearful that her beloved cat might get stepped on, Tracy scooped Lyn up in her arms and began walking quickly.
    So fearful was Tracy over the closeness of the horses and afraid that the rider would disappear before she could get his attention, that she didn’t think to watch where she was stepping. Recoiling suddenly, Tracy closed her eyes and stopped short. Through the open toes of her new wicker boots, she could feel something. She wrinkled her nose and moaned, “Oh dear, not these shoes!” Through flat soles of the boots she noticed for the first time that she could feel each rock and clump of dirt. But this wasn’t dirt, there was no mud in this dry place and this was a pasture! Shuddering, she gingerly stepped forward, trying not to think of what she had just been standing in. She had to get help.
    “Hello!” the sound of a deep voice brought Tracy’s head up so quickly that her hat fell off and one of the horses stepped on it.
    “Hello!” Never had Tracy been so glad to see anyone. “My car is lost and I’ve run out of gas,” she blurted quickly.
    A deep chuckle made Tracy blush as the older man swung down off his horse, but he only said, “Got lost did you? And you’re out of gas? I think I can help. Got a truck just over the rise and there’s a can of gas in the back. Care to ride over with me?”
    Staring in panic at the horse, Tracy drew back, “I think I’d rather walk, thank you. I . . . I have my cat. She doesn’t like horses.”
    The man seemed to understand, for he said he’d take the horses back with him and then would meet her at her car. For this Tracy was grateful and turned to walk back, being very careful of where she stepped this time.
    The man in the truck arrived at the fence at the same time Tracy did and soon her car had enough gas to get her to a nearby town. She also had a very carefully drawn map and written directions from the man. “I hope the rest of your journey is uneventful, Miss,” he said, touching his hat as Tracy started her car.
    “Thank you,” she sighed. Carefully Tracy turned the car around and drove off down the dusty road. “Lyn,” she remarked when at last paved road was under her tires once more, “It’s nearly four! I do hope Tad hasn’t started looking for me yet. And I wish I could change my shoes! Do you think they’ll ever come clean?”

 What did you do this week?
Are you excited for Writing Camp?
Have you ever gotten lost and had to ask for help?

6 comments:

Katja L. said...

Haha! This one was fun :D
Good job on the productive week, btw!

Anonymous said...

Poor Tracy - it seems that keeping shoes in working order isn't her forte! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm super excited for the next writing camp!

Rebekah said...

:D I must say it was fun to write.
Thanks. Hopefully it will stay productive.

Rebekah said...

That was one of the fun parts of writing these stories. I had to find shoes and then make those shoes part of the problem. :D

Rebekah said...

Yay! It's coming right up!