Background

Friday, March 12, 2021

Life

 Good morning Readers,

I realized that I didn't have a story for you today. Sorry. This week has been somewhat crazy and my brain feels crowded. Has your brain ever felt crowded? (Maybe it's just my brain.) Anyway, I didn't get a story picked out and I don't have any new ones written. But I will give you a poem after in a little bit.

What a week! It was one of those weeks that don't seem too busy and crazy at the time. If you don't want to see what's making my brain so full and crowded, you can skip to the poem or just run away. ;)

Friday– Last Friday my nieces and nephews were over most of the morning and through lunch. We had a good time playing and visiting. It was also one of my nephew's birthdays, so he got to open his presents on his birthday.

Saturday– It was a lovely day. I got some things done in the morning and went for a lovely walk in the afternoon. I wrote a bit and felt as though I was so close to finishing up "Phil Wood." Then my nieces and nephews all came over again. This time for supper while their parents attended a "fancy dinner" as my 3-year-old nephew informed my sister. I read stories, played duets on the piano with my oldest nephew, talked, played, enjoyed the baby, and wondered when my brother and sis-in-law would return. We were all wondering that because they normally arrive between 8:30-9:00, but this time they didn't get here until almost 9:45.

Sunday– Since my sister was teaching Sunday School for someone, she and I went to church a little early. I was able to copy some things for the widows' ministry, and then got to help in the nursery during Sunday School. That was fun since I finally got to hold a little guy. I got a few more people signed up to be secret sisters for the windows' ministry. In the afternoon I got to read. But the first book I tried I ended up quitting.

Monday– Sent emails, worked on this thing, that thing, and the other thing. It was so nice out and I got outside and trimmed some plants and pulled weeds in the flower garden. That evening I tried to write. But it just wasn't working. My editor had told me "Phil Wood" was missing something. Something vital for a good story. So I started rereading the book. She was right, and I could tell I'd gotten off track, but getting things straightened out again was hard.

Tuesday– I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out "Phil Wood". I had all sorts of thoughts and questions, but nothing was working. So later I had a talk with my editor and we were able to figure something out. While I was excited to finally have the problem at least hopefully figured out, it mean I had to rearrange almost ALL my scenes, cut scenes, write new scenes, and put the story all back together again. Pulling out my dry-erase board, I began making a timeline and dropping the scenes into place where they belonged. That included the scenes I needed to write or rewrite. It felt like the story was actually going to work this time.

Wednesday– I got some things done and then started reorganizing the actual scenes in "Phil Wood". And I wrote. I wrote almost 700 words before lunch which is not usual since I write best late afternoon/evening. In fact, this story was coming along so well, that I was able to get 2k words written that day even though I couldn't write after supper since I was working nursery at church. But that wasn't the only thing going on. Nope. I was trying to get as much of the work for the Widows' Ministry as I could so I could hand out things that night at church. This meant sorting papers, printing cards, getting papers together and folded and names written on them. But I couldn't do all the papers yet, because I still needed one more secret sister. (I did get her that night.) And that's not all! I got asked by Sarah Holman if I'd be interested in jumping in and writing a story for the "A Very Bookish 4th of July" collection. Wow! I had wanted to write a story for this collection since I first heard they were doing one, but they already had all the authors. But after some had to drop out, I got to join! And yes, I'm writing one. :D

Thursday– Yesterday my mom, sister, and I traveled 2 1/2 hours to spend the day with my grandparents, and then drove home again. It was so nice to see them again. We got the rest of their pictures hung in their new apartment, so now it looks more like their house. It was a lovely day, and my sister and I took a stroll out in the sunshine with our grandpa after lunch. After we got home, I was able to write 600 words of "Phil Wood." And I decided on which book I'm going to be using for the "4th of July" collection. :) I'm eager to write it, but also really want to finish "Phil Wood" first.

Today– We have to clean the house this morning and I have a whole list of things to do. Then the kids are coming over this evening so their parents can have a date. Not sure how much time I'll have for writing, but I'm hoping to get some written. Oh, and I need to get the rest of the Widows' Ministry things together so I can hand out the last of the papers.

And that, my readers, is why my brain is feeling crowded.

This poem was birthed on a rainy evening in May of 2009. I had spent some time cleaning out a drawer and rereading cards from so many family and friends. If you have never sent a card to a friend, do it now. They might just need a bit of encouragement.

The Gift of Cards

Memories stirred while light spring rain
Falls gently on my window pane.
Cards I read again and see
The blessings God has given me.
Notes of birthday love and cheer,
And some o’er which I shed a tear.
Precious friends, your words still ring
With sweetest blessings that make me sing.
Cards of thanks for some kind deed
Returns to meet my own small need.
Remembering the things now past
Found in little notes that last
Long since the writer has forgot
And dreams no more that written thought.
How very dear these notes now seem
As I fondly read and stop to dream
Of days gone by and years now past
And know God’s love will always last.
Although my friends may go or stay,
They’ve left me sunshine to brighten the day.
And as the rain falls gently down,
Fresh and clean on thirsty ground,
I gather strength to onward press
Reading again these cards that bless.
Thank you Lord for each dear friend,
Who cheered this day with word and pen.

 

Has your brain ever felt crowded?
Do you keep cards and notes?
Are you excited to read my 4th of July story?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a nice, whimsical poem! Yes, I often keep cards. They're so cheering. Yes, often writers' block attacks me because I haven't figured out the plot/character/pace yet and don't even know it. - Charis

Rebekah said...

Cards are encouraging even years after they were written. :)
It wasn't really writer's block, but that's happened to me too. :)
Thanks for commenting, Charis.