Background

Thursday, December 17, 2020

9-1-1 Christmas - Part 3

 Here's the rest of this story for you. I hope you enjoy it.

 9-1-1 Christmas
Part 3

    Mr. Pennyworth lay in his hospital bed and tried to be cheerful. It was hard to do, however; for he was alone and it was Christmas Eve. His wife had passed away several years before and they had had no children.
    “It’s hard being alone without family or friends at my age,” the old man mused. “But I’m not really alone. The good Lord has not left me. He sent those angels to talk to me on the phone and get me help when I was having that heart attack. I wish I knew who they were so I could thank them.”
    A light knock on the door sounded. “Mr. Pennyworth,” a nurse said, stepping inside, “you have visitors.”
    “Me? Visitors? Well, let them in!” He looked eagerly toward the door.
    Three girls entered somewhat shyly followed by a tall man.
    “Mr. Pennyworth,” began the girl with long blonde hair, “I’m Angie Wilson, and these are my friends, Jenna and Stephanie, and their dad, Mr. Stephens.”
    “Merry Christmas,” Jenna said, stepping forward. “We wanted to come see you even though we were told you were doing all right.”
    Mr. Pennyworth tipped his head a little. “Were you girls the ones who called my house?”
    “Yes, sir.”
    “Come over here and let an old man thank you.” He beckoned them over to his bedside.
    Smiling, the girls walked over and hugged him. “We made you something,” Angie said, offering her card. “The nurse said you didn’t have any family to visit you.”
    Taking it, Mr. Pennyworth looked at the front. “Did you make this?”
    Angie nodded.
    “No one has ever made me a Christmas card before.” His hands trembled slightly as he opened it. “Dear Mr. Pennyworth, Merry Christmas! Will you please be my grandpa? Love, Angie.”
    Mr. Pennyworth felt his throat tighten, and his vision blurred. The card fell onto the bed as he opened his arms and felt a gentle hug wrap around him. “Yes. Yes, I would love to,” he whispered as he pressed his wrinkled cheek against the long blonde hair of the girl who had helped save his life.
    After a moment, Angie pulled away, her face wreathed in smiles Mr. Pennyworth brushed his hand over his eyes.
    “We have cards too,” Stephanie said, bouncing forward. “This is the one I made you.”
    Mr. Pennyworth opened it and read a similar message. “Another granddaughter,.” He chuckled, though there was still a slight catch in his voice. “Does that mean I get another hug?”
    “Of course!” And Stephanie eagerly wrapped her arms around him.
    Then it was Jenna’s turn. As she handed her card to him, she said, “You already know what it’s going to ask. Do you want one more granddaughter?”
    “Absolutely! Why, I never expected to have one granddaughter, and now I have three.” Mr. Pennyworth gave Jenna a tighter squeeze. “I thought I was going to be spending this Christmas in heaven,” he said as Jenna straightened. “Instead I get to enjoy grandchildren I never thought I’d have.” He smiled at each of the girls.
    “Care to add a son to that list, Dad?” Mr. Stephens asked.
    At that Mr. Pennyworth laughed. “Of course! Now wait, I should be getting two sons and two daughters, right?”
    “And two dogs and a canary,” Stephanie added.
    Mr. Pennyworth smiled. “Tell me, girls, how did you manage to know how to send that ambulance the other night?”
    Angie sat down on the edge of the bed and flipped her hair over her shoulder. “Well, in school they taught us what to do. It’s a new thing. We just had to dial 9-1-1 and someone would answer. Then we could tell them the emergency and they’d send whatever help was needed.”
    “It’s easier to remember with only three numbers,” Jenna said.
    “We were trying to call a friend when I called you,” Stephanie added. “And then Angie called 9-1-1 and–” She shrugged.
    Mr. Pennyworth never knew family could be so wonderful as he relaxed in his bed and listened to the chatter of the three girls who had adopted him.
    When visiting time was over, he hugged each girl and shook hands with Mr. Stephens. “You know,” he remarked, reaching out and catching Angie’s hand in his own wrinkled one, “Christmas is about family. Jesus was born so that we might be adopted into His family. And today you dear people have taken an old man into your family.” He brushed away a tear with his gnarled hand. “It’s going to be a wonderful Christmas.”
    “Just hurry up and get well, so you can come to our house for Christmas,” Stephanie blurted out.
    “That’s tomorrow,” Jenna reminded her.
    Mr. Pennyworth laughed. “I’ll get well as quickly as I can,” he promised. “I don’t want to miss any time with my grandchildren. Or my sons and daughters.” And he smiled at them all.
 

Did you like it?
Let me know what you thought.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Ooh, I loved seeing this last part from Mr. Pennyworth's point of view! The whole story has been delightful. :) Thanks for sharing, Rebekah!
Merry Christmas! <3

Rebekah said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the full story, Ellen! You're welcome!
Merry Christmas to you too!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet and lovely! What time period is it set in? I'm not exactly sure when 9-1-1 came out...

Anyway, I really enjoyed this short story and I think you should publish it.

Rebekah said...

Thanks. The story is probably in the early 1970s since the 9-1-1 system didn't begin until the very late 1960s.

I'd love to publish the story some time. :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Katja L. said...

Aw :)