Background

Friday, December 11, 2020

9-1-1 Christmas - Part 2

 Good morning!

This has been a busy week. With play practice lasting until 3 on Sunday, and then we did cast pictures and had to clean up, it was after 4:00 before we got home.

Monday evening my brother and his family came over and we celebrated my dad's birthday. 

Wednesday evening I worked in the nursery at church.

Yesterday we babysat 5 of my 8 nieces and nephews almost all day. It was 70º out, so we raked leaves, took a walk, rode bikes, and enjoyed the nice weather.

Today we clean the house (it needs it!), and I have things I need to do. Tomorrow is our–hopefully–final play practice before the program Sunday evening. And my sis and I are decorating in the fellowship hall for the meal after the program. Busy times.

Since today is not a "10 Days of Christmas" party day, I thought I should share the next part of this Christmas story with you.

 9-1-1 Christmas
Part 2

    Hanging up, Jenna looked over at her best friend. “How do we get an ambulance? Wasn’t there some special number they told us about in school?”
    “9-,” Angie began, but stopped. “I don’t remember.
    “I think it was 1-1 at the end,” Stephanie said. “Try it. We’ve got to help that man!”
    Quickly Angie dialed the three numbers. “I don’t know–Hello! Yes, an ambulance is needed at 511 Second Street. . . . No, we don’t live there, but we just talked to an older man, and he’s having trouble breathing. He needed us to call for help.” There was a short pause. “I don’t know his name. We were just trying to get the name of the street from him . . . Uh, huh. . . . Yes. He was having a really hard time breathing . . . Okay. Thanks. Bye.” Pressing the button to end the call, Angie smiled. “That was the right number. The lady said she’d dispatch an ambulance.”
    “Let’s call the man back and tell him they’re coming!” suggested Stephanie.
    This was agreed to at once, and Stephanie redialed the numbers she had first called. The man could hardly talk. “We called an ambulance, sir, and they’re on their way,” she assured him. “What? No, they’re coming to your house.” Suddenly, she pulled the phone away and hissed, “There’s another call coming in!”
    Quickly, Angie sprang up and reached for the other phone. “Tell him we have to put him on hold but not to hang up!”
    Stephanie relayed the message, assuring the older man that they weren’t going anywhere. Then Angie pushed hold and answered the other call.
    To their surprise it was the dispatcher they had just talked to.
    “Do you know the man’s name you just called about?” the dispatcher asked. “I need to try to get ahold of him.”
    “I don’t know his name,” Angie said, “but we were just talking to him. We put him on hold when your call came in.”
    “All right, I need you to hang up with him so that I can call and talk to him, okay?”
    Angie agreed and quickly gave the dispatcher the man’s number.
    When the phone lines were dead, the three girls looked at each other in silence for a few minutes.
    “Now what?” Stephanie asked.
    Jenna shrugged and flipped her brown hair over her shoulder. “I don’t know, but everything is going to feel strange and kind of a let down after that.”
    Letting out a sigh, Angie nodded. “I know.”
    “I just wish we could have kept talking to him until the ambulance got there,” put in Stephanie, sitting down at the table. “I hope he’s going to be okay.”
    “Let’s pray for him.” And Angie reached out a hand to each of the sisters.
    Though they didn’t know the man’s name, each girl bowed her head and prayed for the stranger they had accidentally called. When they finished, they continued sitting.
    The harsh ringing of the telephone startled them all, and everyone sprang to their feet. Angie answered, and a smile blossomed over her face. “Oh, thank you! Yes, we did . . . What is his name? Pennyworth? . . . Okay. Thank you.” Hanging up, she looked at her friends. “His name is Mr. Pennyworth, and the ambulance got to him in time!”
    “Yay!” Stephanie gave a little bounce.
    With a smile, Jenna added, “I guess we can relax and watch our movie now. Unless we still wanted to call Lynn.”
    At that Angie shook her head. “Now I’m not sure what her number is. What I thought was her number is Mr. Pennyworth’s number.”
    “Well,” Stephanie said, following the others into the living room. “I did call the right number. I hope the man’s family finds out about him. It wouldn’t be very fun to be alone in the hospital at Christmas time.”
    “Let’s make him some Christmas cards,” Jenna suggested. “He might like it even if he does have family with him.”
    “I’ll get paper and scissors. Jenna, come get the pens and glue. Steph, clear everything off that coffee table so we’ll have plenty of space to work.” Angie issued orders rapidly.
    Soon the three girls, with their movie playing in the background, were sitting on the floor around the coffee table hard at work.

How was your week?
Did you enjoy this next part of the story?
Have you ever made a card for someone you don't know?

8 comments:

Ellen said...

I enjoyed this part!! Will there be more??

Rebekah said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, there is one more part. :)

Anonymous said...

I REALLY like this story! And it's based on a true story? Cool!

Rebekah said...

Yes, it is based on a true story. Happy to know you are enjoying it! :)

Katja L. said...

I am far too ready for part 3!

Rebekah said...

:D It's coming some time next week. Can you wait that long? ;)

Ryana Lynn said...

Loved this! I have made cards for people I don't know, one of them being a WWII veteran for his birthday!

Rebekah said...

Oh, that's lovely, Ryana! I made one too. :)