Background

Friday, December 20, 2019

The Price - Part 5

Good morning!
I can't believe it's the Friday before Christmas! How is that even possible? Shouldn't we have at least another week before we get this far in the month? Has your month flown or has it just been me?
We had our Christmas program on Sunday night and both plays (The Candy Cane Story and "The Price") went really well! "The Price" was great fun because none of the parents had gotten to see it yet. (We'd made sure everyone was out of the room when we practiced.) There were a lot of comments about how well everyone did, and how much people liked it. Yes, some of the kids were extremely nervous, but unless you really knew, you would never guess it. Everyone really got into their parts and said their lines like they were the characters. It was such fun seeing this story "come to life" as it were.
Monday night was when we were supposed to go caroling, but due to ice and snow, we postponed it. We're doing it tonight. :) And because we changed dates, some other families can either come, or hope to be able to come. Yay!
Tuesday was another cold day never getting above freezing. It was nice to stay inside and put things away, read, work on different things, and not have to go anywhere.
Wednesday was sunny and warmer. Most of the snow is melted. I read some, got different things worked on, and had a music practice with the other violinists and the pianist at church. I'm really trying to slow down and enjoy these days.
Thursday was more of the same things.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this final part of this Christmas story. I'd love to know what you think of it. :)

The Price
Part 5

    The Sunday before Christmas found the small church in Buffalo Wallow well filled with folks from both the town and the surrounding area. In the back near the door stood Mr. King, his arms folded and a smirk on his face.
    Behind the pulpit Reverend Clark spoke about Christmas and gifts.
    “For what will it profit a man if he gain the whole world but lose his soul? My friends, each man has a price–the price of his soul. The price that must be paid for his sin. It is a high price indeed. So high that no man can pay it. Only Jesus Christ can pay that price, and He did.
    "Christmas is about Jesus Christ, not about what earthly things we can get. Let us accept God’s greatest gift–eternal life!”
    When the sermon was over, Mrs. Stirling made her way to Mr. King. “Mr. King, I’m glad you are here,” she said, reaching into her handbag and pulling out a stack of bills and a bag of gold. “It will save me a trip across town. Here’s the payment for the rest of the mortgage.”
    “What?” Mr. King took a step backward. “But . . . But I don’t want the money,” he sputtered. “I want the house!”
    “Take it,” growled Travis. “You don’t own the mortgage on that house anymore.”
    Mr. King looked around. There were too many witnesses for him not to accept the money. Taking it roughly, he pushed through the men and rushed from the church.

*

    The next day passed. And the next. Until at last it was Christmas Eve.
    In Widow Stirling’s home the fire in the stove was bright, and the scent of pine, chocolate, and sugar cookies filled the air. There was laughter as the family decorated their small tree and drank cups of cocoa.
    “God did answer our prayers, Mama,” Jenny said.
    “Yes, Jenny, He did. But we must keep praying for Mr. King.”
    “Why?” Sam wanted to know.
    Mrs. Stirling knelt down before the boy. “Because he needs the forgiveness of Jesus Christ, and I’m afraid he doesn’t want it.”

*

    Across town Jeffery King paced his floor again. He had not left his home once since he had returned after the Sunday service. He’d hardly eaten or slept. At first he was furious that all his plans had failed, and then something the minister had said began echoing in his mind.
    “What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his soul? – The price of his soul is high. – No man can pay it.”
    Stopping his pacing, Mr. King stood thoughtfully. “No man can pay it. Which is more important? The world or my soul?”
    Finally he gave up the struggle and knelt in his living room.

*

    Christmas Day arrived, and with happy greetings, the town folk, farmers, and ranchers gathered in the small church once again to celebrate the birthday of the One who had come to give them eternal life.
    The sermon was nearly over when the door opened. Every head turned and eyes widened as Mr. King, with head down and eyes on the floor, walked hesitantly down the aisle to the front of the church. He murmured a few words to the minister. “Reverend Clark, may I say something?”
    “Certainly.” Reverend Clark stepped to the side of his pulpit and waited.
    Mr. King’s hand trembled slightly as he held his hat and turned to face the congregation. “I’m not quite sure how to begin,” he started slowly, “but folks, I want to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Mrs. Stirling, for the worry I put you and your children through. And Mr. Pickett, Travis, Mr. Hill, and Mr. Butler, I’m sorry for pressuring you to give up what you’ve worked so hard for. Reverend Clark is right.” He glanced over at the minister. “It doesn’t profit anyone if he gains the whole world but loses his soul. I know. I spent the last few days and nights wrestling with myself and with my greed. But last night I gave up the fight. I prayed and confessed my sins and asked Jesus Christ to forgive me.” A smile crossed Mr. King’s face. “And He did! Now I want to ask, will you forgive me too?”
    A chorus of “Yes! Amen!” sounded around the church.
    “Folks,” Reverend Clark said, “this is the best Christmas I’ve ever had. Let’s all stand and sing, Joy to the World, because I sure feel joyful this Christmas day!”
    And so the western town of Buffalo Wallow celebrated a Christmas they never forgot. Jeffrey Reginald King had learned that while every man might have his price when it comes to worldly goods, no man could ever pay the price for his sins. No man could ever save his own soul. The price for our sins was paid by Jesus Christ when He died on the cross. Have you accepted the sacrifice He made for your sins?

Have you accepted the Greatest Gift?
 How has your week been?
Have you ever been caroling?

https://fireflysstoryspace.blogspot.com/2019/12/12-days-of-christmas-christmas-story_20.html
 Click on the image to find out other Christmas blog posts!

6 comments:

Katja L. said...

Yayyy! Love this ending!

Rebekah said...

:D Good! Thanks for reading it.

Kassie said...

Aww, this is such a sweet ending!! I'm sure the kids did amazing!! It would've been so fun to see. XD
And yes Christmas is totally sneaking up on me too...

Rebekah said...

They did a great job! It was such fun watching the story come to life. ;)
I am NOT ready for Christmas! :)

Amy said...

This was great! I'd love to have seen the play.

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Amy! I wish you could have seen the play too.