Background

Friday, December 13, 2019

The Price - Part 3

Good morning, FFFs,
How has your week been? Mine was crazy on Saturday and Sunday. Then Monday and Tuesday weren't bad. Wednesday was pretty good, and now we're into five days of crazy!
Yesterday was busy trying to get different things done. And I didn't get everything done that I was needing to do, or planning to do.
This morning my seven nieces and nephews are coming over to make cookies, and I'm sure we'll read stories and such. Then I need to practice the violin and make sure I have everything needed for tomorrow.
Tomorrow will be our final big play practice. We'll be missing one stage hand and one cast member, but they just couldn't make it. After practice my sister, a friend, and I have to decorate the gym for the fellowship meal after the program. The thing is, the tables and chairs were supposed to be set up for us, and I don't think they got done.
And on Sunday, we have all sorts of practice in the morning, and the program in the evening! We will have only been through the play 3 times with everyone! Pray it goes well!
Monday will be spent putting things away and getting ready for caroling to our widows and widower in the evening. It's always a lot of fun and a blessing to us and those we carol to.
Tuesday . . . Maybe I'll just read. ;)

But here is your next part of the story. I hope you are enjoying it.


The Price
Part 3

    “Well, I’m foreclosing. You either pay off the rest of the money before Christmas or out you go.”
    “But, Mr. King,” Widow Stirling protested, “we have been faithful in payments, and it’s winter. Couldn’t you give us a little more time?”
    “Time?” roared Mr. King. “What do you think I am, a clock? No! You pay by Christmas or out you go!” He turned, jerked open the door, and marched out into the cold winter evening muttering, “I’ll at least give myself one Christmas present.”
    As soon as the door was shut behind their visitor, Jenny rushed over to her mother, her eyes wide and her face frightened. “Mama, what are we going to do? Can he really throw us out?”
    “I don’t know, Jenny.” Mrs. Stirling put an arm around each of her children, for Sam pressed close though he said nothing. “But I know what we are going to do. We are going to pray. The Lord has said in His Word that He will be a Father to the fatherless and a Judge of widows.”
    Together, as dusk turned to darkness, the family knelt in their small home to pray for wisdom, and to ask that Mr. King would have a change of heart.

*

    The following morning Jenny walked slowly down the street to buy few groceries. Her eyes were on the muddy street and her heart was heavy. She had tried and tried to think of a way to earn the money needed but was no closer to a solution than last night.
    “Morning, Miss Jenny,” Rancher Pickett and his foreman said, touching their hats as they approached.
    Jenny looked up with a start. “Oh, good morning.”
    “How is your mother doing?” Travis asked.
    “All right. I suppose.” Jenny sighed.
    “Is somethin’ wrong?” inquired Rancher Pickett.
    Jenny nodded. “Mr. King came to see us yesterday and said we have to pay the rest of the mortgage before Christmas or he will kick us out!”
    “What?” Travis exclaimed.
    Pickett looked indignant. “He can’t do that!”
    Jenny wiped a tear off her cheek. “Yes, he can. Mama already checked.”
    “We’ll have to think of something. Don’t worry. Come on, Travis.” With that, Rancher Pickett and Travis strode down the street, leaving Jenny looking after them with a puzzled face.

    The rancher hurried off with his foreman to find Mr. Butler. Then together they went out to see Farmer Hill. The wind was blowing and snow was threatening to fall, but none of the men noticed.
    “I tell you it ain’t right,” Rancher Pickett fumed after explaining their errand.
    “It sure ain’t!” agreed Farmer Hill. “Why, Widow Stirling’s ‘bout the nicest woman around these here parts. When my wife was sick, it was Mrs. Stirling who nursed her back to health.”
    “And she sure can bake a tasty pie!” Travis exclaimed, patting his stomach. He gave a sigh over the remembrance of certain mouth-watering pies he had eaten.
    “She took care of my young’uns that time me an’ the missus had to be out of town,” put in Mr. Butler.
    “It’s not that Mr. King don’t have money,” Rancher Pickett said. “He tried to buy my new horse.”
    Travis nodded quickly. “Sure did.”
    “He wanted my pig!”
    “And my new watch. You’re right, Pickett.” Mr. Butler’s indignation over the injustice being done brought him out of his quietness. “We have to do somethin’.”
    The talk continued long into the afternoon as the four men tried to think of a way to help Mrs. Stirling and her children. Snowflakes drifted down but melted unnoticed. At last, as the sun, peeking through the clouds, was starting to set behind the western mountains, the men shook hands and went their separate ways.

*

     Snow fell silently until it had dusted everything in sight with a fine layer of cold, white flakes. But no one was around to watch, for everyone was at home, snug and secure. Slumber descended on the western town and the surrounding ranches and farms. That is, it came to most homes. But in two houses that night there wasn’t much sleep.
    Jeffery King paced the floor of his fine house and fumed over his inability to get the things he wanted. He was frustrated. “Just four things!” he muttered, “and I can only get one.” He knew everyone has their price. He would just have to push the men harder and offer to pay more. “I will get what I want,” he murmured to his silent rooms. “And I will get them soon!”

What do you think the men will do?
How has your week been?
Have you gotten any Christmas cookies made yet?

2 comments:

Katja L. said...

Hmmm! I’m quite curious what will happen!

Rebekah said...

:) You have two more times to finish the story. Make sure you come back!