Background

Friday, May 6, 2022

Through an Author's Eyes - Part 22

 Good morning,

Friday is here once again and, once again, it's cloudy. We've had so much rain this week the ground just squishes. And it's been chilly. Not usual for May here. But tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and it's supposed to get sunny today! Yay! I'm so ready for the sunshine! Of course then things will be muggy after all the rain, but right now, I don't care. I'm ready to be warm and wear short sleeves and go walking without needing a jacket or coat.

We had an interesting mouse experience this week. Our kitchen ceiling has never been finished. This means that the rafters with insulation between them are just covered by plastic. They've been that way since we did the room upstairs (maybe 13 years ago) and before that it was the rafters of a loft and walkway. I don't actually remember our kitchen with a real ceiling. Anyway, the plastic is clear and the other night my brother stopped by for something and we were all in the kitchen talking when my sister noticed a mouse running along the plastic above our heads. It disappeared and I went to get something for Mom. I came back and gave it to her and then suddenly, "Plop!" The mouse fell out of the plastic onto the floor almost where I had just been standing. We started laughing. The mouse seemed a little dazed as it ran off behind the freezer. Now we just say "Plop!" and start to laugh because it was so funny to see that mouse running along and suddenly fall out of the ceiling where the plastic wasn't stapled up all the way. :)

I've been working on Don Wood this week. Still trying to get things in the right order. But I'm almost there and it's going to give me more words to write the rest of it instead of trying to fit it in a few thousand words. Sorry it's taken longer than I had hoped, but this will be a much better story. 

But here is the next to last part of this story. I have no idea what I'll do next. I still have a few short scenes and such that I wrote last July. Should I post them? Should I repost something I've already posted? Help! This blog has been going on for 13 years now.

Through and Author's Eyes
Part 22

 

    After several hours of sleep, Annette awoke somewhat stiff and chilly. It took a few minutes to realize why her bed was so hard and she was wearing gloves. Opening her eyes, she saw the dim form of Savanna sleeping next to her, and the refection of the flickering, dancing flames on the walls and roof of their little shelter. This was certainly not the adventure she had wanted, but it was better than what most authors did to their characters. “I wonder what Dad will say when I tell him about this,” she mused, closing her eyes again and drifting back into a doze. Anytime someone adding another piece of wood to the fire, or moved much, she woke, her brain always busy, not with worry, but with plans and ideas for getting off the mountain and back to civilization.

    Sometime during the night the snow had stopped completely and the clouds had parted leaving a pristine mountain for the sun to see when it rose. Annette was awake long before the most of the others and ventured to pull on her boots and step outside in the early dawn of the new day. Even in the shelter of the trees, she was awed by the grander of the snowy mountain. “You washed me whiter than this snow, Father,” she whispered, lifting her eyes heavenward. “Thank You.”
    Looking at her watch she was astonished to find how late it was. Quickly she hurried back to the cabin. With the one window covered by a tarp it wasn’t any wonder that everyone was still asleep. “The sun is shining, and I have a strong desire to throw snowballs at anyone who keeps sleeping,” she called.
    Some grumbles were heard, but eyes opened, and slowly the cabin came to life.
    “What are we going to do now?”
    “Should we just stay here?”
    “We’re not going to get very far without something to eat.”
    These and various comments filled the cabin. Finally Levi finally called for order. Annette, having roused everyone to her satisfaction, found a place along the back wall and opened her pack. She had breakfast for everyone.

    It took nearly an hour before a decision had been made about what to do, the tarps rolled back up and the fire put out. Annette’s energy bars had been handed out and the group was ready to set forth. It had been decided to try going back the way they had come until they were above the tree line, and then build a fire and wait. The trail was a bit harder to find since it was covered with snow, but everyone was watching and it wasn’t as difficult as some of them had imagined.
    When the bare side of the mountain was reached, the glittering mass of sparkling snow made everyone blink and squint their eyes.
    “Goodness,” Savanna exclaimed, “I didn’t think we’d have to dig out our sunglasses.”
    “Well, start digging,” her brother said, slinging his pack off one shoulder and unzipping a small pocket. “We don’t want any cases of snow blinding when we’ve come this far with no injuries.” And Levi settled his own shades on his face. The others did likewise.
    The sun was pleasant as it heated the rain jackets everyone had put on as windbreakers. Everything was hushed and quiet, the sky washed clear of every last cloud. No one spoke, but gazed about them absorbed in the breathtaking sight of the mountain peaks robed in shimmering white.
    At last Annette said, her voice soft and low, “Does anyone know what mountain that is?” She pointed slightly to the right.
    “I think that’s the one we’re supposed to be on,” Judah replied.
    “Then, would it be safe to just head in that direction?”
    The boys looked at one another, shoulders were shrugged, and finally Levi said they might as well try it. It was slow going for with the snow blanketing everything, there was no telling where a trail might be or where loose rocks were hiding. Ropes were stretched along the line and these were held to tightly so that anyone who slipped might be anchored to the others.
    Annette had no idea how long they spent traversing the snowy mountainside, but she knew that she was hungry. The energy bar she had eaten for breakfast had disappeared. “Levi, can’t we stop and get a drink and eat something?” she asked of her cousin who was right before her.
    “Good idea. I think we could all use a few minutes rest.” Quickly Levi called to the others in front and packs were opened and snacks pulled out. Everyone had to be sparing with their water as no one had much left.
    “I’ll probably end up with a headache,” Bethany murmured to Annette. “I always get one when I don’t drink enough in the mountains.”
    “I suppose we could eat the snow,” Annette said, looking at the crystals sparkling all around her. “It sure is a lot cleaner than the stuff we get in the city.” She scooped up a handful and tasted it. It was good.
    “But it won’t quench your thirst,” Victor remarked quietly.
    “You’re probably right,” Annette sighed, brushing off her glove. “Besides, if I play in the snow too much, my gloves will become soaked and I didn’t bring another pair.”
    The call came to start on again, and once again, the tired, hungry, thirsty explorers started on their way.
 

How was your week?
Does eating snow make you thirsty?
What should I post after this story is done?

2 comments:

Chloe said...

The mouse story was funny! I'm glad it didn't "plop" on you! Haha.

Really great story! I look forward to coming over here and reading what you've posted. I think maybe you should repost some of your stories and mix it up with the short stories/scenes you haven't shared yet. I know I wouldn't mind reading stories you've already posted!

My week has been good! I've done a lot of reading. I'm reading the Little House Books again. :)

I've tasted snow, but not enough to know if it makes me thirsty. Have you ever mind snow ice cream? I haven't, but it sounds good.

Rebekah said...

I'm very glad it didn't too!
Thanks. I need to go back and see what I haven't post in a while that isn't published. ;)
Oh fun. I haven't read Little House in years.
Nope, I've never made snow ice cream.