Background

Friday, May 27, 2022

Green

 Happy Last Friday in May!

How can it be the last Friday in May? Crazy how time flies. I remember being young and thinking that the time went by so slowly and wondering what it would be like to have the time go by fast like the grownups kept saying it did. Well, now I know. And I wish it would slow down.

Speaking of slowing down, I'm trying to do that very thing. It hasn't worked well yet, but I'm still trying. There are times when I can do a lot of things and be productive, but if I keep it up too long, I get overwhelmed and I find I can't do everything and "just live," to quote Pollyanna. So, I'm starting to say no again.

This week has been rainy and cloudy all week long. We did have half a day of sunshine on Wednesday, and 15 minutes of consecutive sunshine yesterday which is when my sis and I got out and walked. But until today it's rained almost every night, in the mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Sometimes the rain is heavy, other times it's just a light misty rain. But today we get sunshine! Even now the sun is up in a clear sky. It's still in the 50s right now, but it's supposed to reach the mid to upper 70s.

Sis and I are helping with a rehearsal dinner this evening, and then with a wedding reception tomorrow evening. It's going to be an outdoor wedding at church. I just hope the ground isn't a too wet, but it will be humid! At least the reception will be inside.

I've been making some great progress on "Don Wood" and it's been fun. Things seem to fit better and it's more interesting, and I'm getting to know some other people better. Right now I think I'm around 11k words written. Since the goal is 30-40k, I still have a ways to go, so if you are eager to read it, don't stop praying. 

 I almost didn't post any story/scene today, but I decided I could just share this short one because it sounded like what things look like here. Wet. It's not very interesting, but perhaps that is because it's so short. Anyway, I had better get going on other things.


 

    Everything was green. Well, almost everything. The railings along the boardwalks were covered with moss, the stones on the sides wore coats of moss, the trees, leaves, everything seemed to be mossy or have green leaves. Even the sunlight seemed to be shining through a filter of green. The only thing that was not green were the boardwalks themselves. The brown wooden planks were shiny and wet from last night’s rain.
    I cast a quick glance behind me but didn’t see anyone. As quickly as I could, I hurried along the boardwalk. I wanted to reach the top of the hill first.
    Have you ever tried to hurry over wet boards? It’s a very dangerous thing to do. One minute you are walking along upright, and the next thing you know you are on your hands and knees, if you are good at falling. Otherwise you end up sitting down hard or falling flat on your back.
    How do I know? Because I ended up in all three positions before I reached the seventh step.
    I decided after that to go more slowly. I didn’t want to hold onto the railings as they were so green and wet they looked slimy.
    When I reached the top of the hill, I found to my dismay that trees blocked my view of the valley. The lovely panorama I had looked forward to was not to be. With a sigh, I finally found a place where a break in the leaves offered an abbreviation of the view I had hoped to see. It was something, but not enough to satisfy.
    Disappointed, I rubbed the sore places on my body and wished I hadn’t hurried quite so much.
 

Have you had more rain or sunshine this week?
Have you ever slipped on wet wood?
Do you have a hard time saying "no" to things if you are busy?

2 comments:

Chloe said...

I liked the scene! I can picture it. I don't think I've slipped on wet wood, but two of my friends have. It's been sunny here this week and in the 90s. I know! How can it already be the end of May?! Time goes sooo fast. I want to do everything and I stay fairly busy, but I'm trying to remember to slow down and enjoy! I'm praying still as you write Don Wood. I'm glad this version is going better for you!

Rebekah said...

I'm not quite ready for it to be in the 90s yet, but in the 70s is perfect! :D
Glad you enjoyed the little scene.
I know the feeling. I like to have plenty to do, but I can't do everything and when I try it doesn't end up very nice. ;)
Thanks for the prayers.