Background

Friday, March 16, 2018

HitH - Simply Trusting - Part 5

Good morning!
I know this is late. But I'm on vacation of sorts at my grandparents. And it's a rainy morning. We slept in, and I'm hurrying this quickly because I want to go eat breakfast. :)

Last night I got to do something that I've wanted to do for a very long time. I got to eat supper in a little hole-in-the-wall cafe. My mom and aunt were eating supper together at my aunt's house, and that left my sister and I to eat supper with our grandparents. We tried one place, but they weren't open. So we went to "Ambrosia." We actually went inside just after they had closed but their door was wide open and so they let us stay and eat. There was no music playing, only one other table with people who were planning their wedding, and were there for a tasting since "Ambrosia" was catering for it. And then us. Only three people work in the cafe, and the chef came out after we had started eating to see how things were. It was so much fun! After we were finished it felt like we should go back to the kitchen and tell them "thanks for supper." :) Anyway, now I've eaten in a little hole-in-the-wall.

Today we're going to help at my aunt's house with some organizing. And I'm hungry so I'm going to post this and go eat. Enjoy this last part of Chapter whatever it is. :)


Simply Trusting
Part 5

    Without a word, Belle turned and held out the slate to Ali, “Then you can practice.”
    “Will ya help me write my full name like ya did Kade?”
    “Yes.”
    Leaving Ali to write and erase and write some more, Belle moved over to a window and stood watching the rain. “Simply trusting every day, Trusting thro’ the stormy way.” She hadn’t realized she had sung the line until she began the next one. “Even when my faith is small, Trusting Jesus, that is all.”
    “Belle, I’m finished with my letters.”
    Hurrying back to the table, Belle admired Ali’s work. Then, erasing the letters she wrote her name and Ali set to work copying it. “It ain’t as long as Kade’s name. He’s got a long one, but I reckon I still got ta practice ta make it look like yours.” And Ali frowned at her name. “It don’t look right.”
    “It will with practice. Riss, do you want to practice?”
    “Kin I Ma?” Riss had been mending a shirt and now looked questioningly at her mother.
    Aunt Lillian nodded. “I’ve always had a hankerin’ for my youngun’s ta learn ta read an’ write, but the school’s been too far away. I learned the older two ta read a might ‘fore the young’uns took up too much a my time.”
    “It must be the right time now, Aunt Lillian,” Belle remarked softly. “I didn’t see the work Jesus had for me to do and I didn’t want to leave Mama and Papa, but I was trusting that He knew best.” She smiled brightly though a film of tears blurred her vision. “I’m glad I came.”
    “So are we!” Ali hugged her cousin impulsively before changing the subject. “Ez, ya reckon this rain’ll be gone tomorrow?”
    “Yep.”
    “Then Ma, kain’t me and Belle, I mean, Belle and me, go see Aunt Claire? She ain’t never met Uncle Nate’s family. Ya think we could, Ma?”
    Aunt Lillian was silent for a few minutes, rocking and letting her darning needle fly in and out of a gaping hole in a stocking. At last she spoke. “I suppose if’n Belle wants ta cross all the creeks, I don’t mind. Yer aunt most likely would like a might a help. I might let Riss go ‘long with ya.”
    “Me too, Ma,” Kade begged.
    “Ya’d jest get in the way,” Ali began to protest.
    “Rome an’ me don’t get in the way. An’ I reckon we kin help Aunt Claire’s much as you.”
    “We don’t want ya comin’ this time, Kade. It’s jest gunna be me and–I mean Belle, Riss and me. Ya always get in ta trouble ifn’t ya go ‘long.”
    “Do not!”
    “That’s enough,” Aunt Lillian’s tired voice broke up the argument. “We’ll decide who’s goin’ tomorrow.”

    Lying in her bed that night, Belle tried to keep back the tears. The bickering and arguing of the day had made her wish she was back home. Why didn’t everyone just get along? “It’s because they don’t know Jesus,” she realized. “Does Aunt Lillian?” It wasn’t a question easy to answer. Aunt Lillian had never said so, Belle had never seen her stop and pray about things as her mother had, nor had she reminded Ali and Kade that fighting wasn’t pleasing to the Lord. “Perhaps she has forgotten. Maybe she has been so busy that she doesn’t have time to read her Bible and pray each day. Poor Aunt Lillian. She looks as tired out as Mama used to look when Papa wasn’t feeling well. If she’ll agree, I don’t mind if Kade and Rome come with us. It would leave fewer children to keep an eye on. In fact,” she smiled in the dark, “if it was possible, I’d take everyone.” Then a slight frown puckered her brow. “Perhaps Uncle Nathan wouldn’t like so many extra children. Ali did say that he had almost as many children as they have.” She paused and counted on her fingers. “There are an even dozen here.” She nudged Ali and whispered softly, “Ali, are you awake?”
    There was no reply, and Belle lay still listening to the soft patter of rain on the roof “I suppose I will find out how many children there are tomorrow. If it does stop raining.” With that thought she turned over with a yawn, closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Have you ever eaten in a hole-in-the-wall?
Would you have invited Kade and Rome to go with you?
Do you want more of this story?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I really like the story! Yes, I would love more of it, and I think I probably would have taken Kade and Rome with me, if I was in Belle's position. :)

And no, I don't think I've ever eaten in a hole-in-the-wall, it sounds like fun though. Thanks for sharing. :)

-Sadie S.

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Sadie! I'm delighted to find you are enjoying this story. I'm with you, I probably would have taken them too. :)