Background

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 11th

I remember a Christmas many years ago when I was only seven. Every year my mom's side of the family would get together for a few days out at a church camp where we would hang out, go hiking, work puzzles, read books and share meals together. It was always a special time, but that year it was different. You see, I had the chicken-pox. My older brother and sister had had them years before, when I wasn't even around, but my younger two cousins hadn't had them. I also had three Aunts who were expecting at the time. What were we to do? We just couldn't miss the Christmas gathering. It was at last decided that I would just remain in the downstairs part of the lodge (where all the bedrooms were and a large room with a ping-pong table) while the cousins remained upstairs.
My next youngest cousin, Nicky, was only three and he would come to the top of the stairs to sing to me. It was really sweet, but another thing that made that Christmas so special was all the extra, one-on-one attention I got from my uncles, aunts and grandparents. I got to eat dinner each night with two chosen people by candlelight and one of my uncles taught me how to make these darling little boxes out of old Christmas cards.


I've never forgotten that Christmas and whenever I see these boxes, I remember that special year. And remember, if a seven-year-old can make these, so can you. Have fun!

Materials:
1. Construction paper, old Christmas cards, Birthday cards, church bulletins, etc.
2. Ruler
3. Pencil
4. Scissors
5. (Glue if you need or want it.)



Step One:

Cut two squares - one 1/4 inch larger than the other from your paper or card. Draw diagonal lines to each corner on both squares. (I usually only draw lines in the middle.)

Step Two:
 Fold each corner to the center.


Step Three:
Fold each side to center, and then back to form crease.




Step Four:
Cut slits in sides 1 and 2, on the crease from the edge to the crease. (The sides on the right and left in the picture.)




Step Five:
Unflold sides 1 and 2 between slits. Fold up sides 3 and 4, folding small ends in at right angles to form a box.



Tuck sides 1 and 2 over the small ends and into the box. (Put a dot of glue on bottom of inside to hold corners down if you wish. Most boxes made with Christmas cards don't need it.)

Oblong boxes may be made following the same principle.

Happy Box Making! I'd love to hear how yours turned out!

No comments: