Background

Friday, June 23, 2023

Provider - Part 4

 Good morning!

It's still been nice enough before 7 to go walk, but it warms up very quickly. 

I've been staying busy with camp prep, blog post planning, and writing. Along with other life things. I'm going to keep this very short since I'm sure you didn't get on here to read me rambling. You came to read the next part of this story. There's one more part after this. Enjoy!

 

 Provider
Part 4

    Breakfast wasn’t anything spectacular, but it wasn’t the worst thing she could have eaten either. She made her lunch, wishing she had just a little something else to put in with the ramen.
    “It’s what I have and I’ll be thankful,” she said aloud.
    Shouldering her backpack, she left her apartment, locked the door, and started for school. The sky was a little brighter, but the wind blew. Heidi shivered and squinted up at the sky, hoping the winds would blow the clouds away and let the sun shine again.
    Her first class went well, but the second one was difficult. She had hoped the tutoring she had gotten would help her understand things, but she just wasn’t getting it. Class ended, and slowly she began closing her notebook, wondering if she should find a different tutor or if–
    “Miss Sandler.”
    Startled, Heidi looked up to find the professor, a gray haired man, standing near her. “Yes, sir?”
    “I have been noticing that you always take notes by hand on paper instead of on a laptop. To a man of my age, that’s refreshing. But you seem to be having difficulty with the course. Do I talk too quickly for you?”
    “No, sir. I learned speed writing when I was young.”
    “Speed writing? May I see your notes?”
    Puzzled, Heidi flipped open her notebook and handed it to the professor.
    “Amazing! And who taught you this?”
    “I learned it on my own, sir. I found an old book of it once and decided to try it. I discovered I enjoyed it and have done it ever since.”
    “Well.” He handed the book back to her. “We’ve discovered your problem isn’t my speed of talking. Are you having trouble with the subject?”
    Heidi nodded. “I’m just not understanding some things, and that means I’m not getting the later things.”
    “Have you tried a tutor?”
    She nodded.
    “Who?”
    She gave the name.
    “No. She may understand this class, but she’s no tutor. She understands it with her brain but not her head. In other words, she can’t teach what she only knows as surface knowledge. I think you need someone who can help you get to the root of it all and who actually knows it with a knowledge that will last longer than her final exam. Now let me see, who would be good?” He pondered a moment as Heidi waited. “I have it. You really need Agape Millsap.”
    “Who?”
    “Agape Millsap. She’s in her second year here, attends my second course. Someone could probably get you in touch with her. I’ll have to get ready for my next class, but Miss Sandler, if I may be so bold, get some rest this weekend. You look exhausted.”
    “I will, sir. Thank you.” Heidi put away her notebook and rose. Everyone had left the room including the professor, and Heidi gave a short laugh. “No one has ever been amazed by my speed writing before.”

    By the time three o’clock rolled around, Heidi felt miserable. She’d discovered that cold, soggy ramen was a poor substitute for even a peanut butter sandwich, and she’d barely been able to stomach half of the small portion she’d eaten. On top of that, one of the students who was supposed to be doing the group project with her had found her and informed her that the rest of them wanted to change the project. And it was due on Monday. Thankfully, one of the instructors had been passing in the hall, and Heidi, feeling desperate, had asked about changing. She wasn’t sure if this instructor had had experience with just that sort of “group project” or not, but she informed Heidi that if she wanted to complete the project they had started instead of starting something new, she had permission as long as she only used her own work. Then she had turned to the other student and said, “Just make sure your new project is completed and turned in on time. And Miss Sandler is not included.”
    That had been a good feeling at the time, but now Heidi was worried that she wouldn’t be able to do as good of a job or would get a lower grade because she didn’t have anyone to work with.
    “Something wrong?” Cherry’s concerned voice brought Heidi out of her thoughts.
    “Just this group project that’s now just my project.”
    “Oh, yeah. Those are hard. When’s it due?”
    “Monday.”
    “Oh. I’ll be praying for you.”
    “Thanks.” Heidi turned away to look for something in her backpack that she didn’t need, so she could hide the tears that filled her eyes. She wasn’t used to hearing people say they’d pray for her.
    “We’re here!” Thia’s voice made Heidi look up.
    “And only three minutes late,” Cherry said, looking up from her phone.
    “I think your phone is off, Cherry Millsap,” Thia flashed back with a grin.
    “I love it when you slap our nicknames together with our last names, Thia,” Ems laughed.
    Heidi turned at stared at Cherry. “Do you take Mr. Gregory’s second year course?”
    “Yes.”
    “Can you tutor me? He said you could. I tried someone else, and she just sat around and stared at her phone while I studied, and if I asked questions she rattled off things I didn’t understand.”
    “Sure. I’m free this evening if you want to start then.”
    This evening? Heidi didn’t know if she should agree or not.
    “Or we can do it another time.” Cherry must have sensed her hesitation.
    “I don’t know.”
    “Why don’t we talk more about it after you finish here. I’m sure Thia, Lyds and Ems are longing to dive into English Lit.” Her tone was exaggerated and teasing, and her friends laughed.
    Part way through the tutoring session, Heidi bent down to pick up her pencil that had dropped, and everything started spinning. She wasn’t sure if she was falling or if it was just another strange sensation. Voices, worried and concerned, were around her, but she couldn’t seem to concentrate on their words or open her eyes.
    Something cool was placed on her head, and hands touched her wrist.
    “Heidi, can you hear me? Don’t try to open your eyes if it makes you dizzy. I just need to know.”
 

What have you been busy with?
Have you been walking this week?
Do you have any plans for next week?

6 comments:

Lyds said...

Aaah, I'm loving this so much! I don't want it to end!

Rebekah said...

Aw, thanks, Lyds! I'm afraid it will have to end next week because I haven't written any more.

Anonymous said...

It does end though, right?? *makes big puppy dog eyes*

Lyds said...

Uh oops, that was still me...
(In case the Puppy Dog didn't give it away ;)XD)

Rebekah said...

Yes, it does end. :D

Lyds said...

Okay, good. :D