Background

Friday, April 8, 2022

Two Starts

 Good morning!

This morning is windy! Strong gusts from the north with bits of rain now and then. We've had wind for the last few days. Not just normal wind, but strong wind. I'm ready for a bit of calm. But the birds are singing. Flowers are blooming, trees are budding, and spring is here. Tomorrow I'm planning on working outside. There are things that need done, some grass or weeds that need mowed, some blackberry bushes that need cut back, lavender that needs trimmed, and trash that needs picked up.

This week has been a non-writing week. I have been gone every evening expect Monday and then I was getting my things packed for the election the next day and going to bed early. Maybe I can write some today since I'm not going anywhere unless it's just to walk.

Today's fiction are what I wrote for a picture prompt back in July's KDWC. I couldn't decide if the gray in the photo was fog or smoke, so I wrote two little scenes. Which one do you like best? I also included the Word of the Day which, as you can see at the bottom of the screen shot, is covet. Enjoy!


    The smoke was settling in like a heavy blanket making it harder to see. I knew the fires were some distance away and there wasn’t much wind anymore. Perhaps that is why the smoke closed in as though preparing to take up residence. The sun couldn’t pierce the smokey vale and only gave a whiteish look to the sky. Deciduous trees reached up their bare arms as though seeking the clear air above the smoke and the pins and evergreens became ghostly shadows.
    The lights from my car weren’t helping much and I wished for the tenth time that I hadn’t chosen to take the back roads. They wound around and curved and turned instead of being straight like the highway would have been. I loved the back country roads had wanted to gaze at the homes along the way. Yes, I will admit that there were homes I would often covet, but not today. Today I was thankful I didn’t live in one of them.
    Coughing, I wondered if there was a way to prevent the smoke from coming into my car. It was highly doubtful. I’d just have to drive out of it. If I could stop coughing enough to see the road.

*#*


    The fog was settling in thick and fast. Much like a smothering blanket I didn’t want. The sky was still somewhat light above the fog, but it wasn’t doing me much good. The trees on either side of the winding, curving road were shrouded in the gray mist until I was almost to them. Then they evolved into silent watchers.
    I shuddered.
    Sparing a quick glance to my right, I began to covet my sister’s peaceful slumbers. I was tired. But I had to keep driving. We needed to get as far as possible. I wasn’t sure the fog was helping or hindering us.
    “Please, God, keep me awake and don’t let me crash into anything in this fog. The last thing Sis and I need is to crash out here in the middle of nowhere.”
    I kept a steady watch on the road. Did anyone live out here? I supposed they must or why would there be a road in the first place? I set myself to thinking about what it would be like to live so far from away from everyone. Right then it seemed like a good idea. But it might get lonely.
    A particularly strange looking tree appeared in my line of vision as the road wound once again. I couldn’t help shuddering. Perhaps I didn’t want to live out here after all. I’d always be afraid of what might be lurking in the woods. 
 

Have you had a lot of wind this week?
Do you think the picture has smoke or fog?
Which story starter do you like best?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like both of these, but I think I like the second one more! I want a full short story, please ;P

Lydia Coral W said...

Sorry, forgot to switch to Name/URL again :D It's me, Lyds :D

Rebekah said...

Yeah, I think I like the 2nd one better too, Lyds. Well, who knows, maybe it will one day become a story. The right person will just have to come along and start asking questions or making suggestions. :P

Lydia Coral W said...

Oooh, I'll have to see what I can do there ;P XD