Background

Friday, November 19, 2021

God is Still Good

 Good morning dear readers!

It's cold this morning. Below freezing right now, but the sun is coming up in a cloudless sky. It's going to be a good day.

This week has had it's ups and downs. Trying to be patient about finishing up the rooms so we can move back in them, and things not happening as quickly as we'd like. But yesterday the last of the trim in both rooms (not counting the closet off the sewing room and the hall) got the last of their trim up! Now I can finish spackling and do the touch up painting! Then we have 8 outlets and 1 light switch to do, and put up the closet shelves and stuff in my parents room and we can hang curtains and move them back in!!!! We are so excited!!!! Forget writing, I'm going to be working on the rooms today. And tomorrow.

Also today, my grandpa is coming down. He wants to see the rooms and he's bringing us some drawers that only the Lowe's up there had for our cabinets. 

Last night I spoke to a group for the first time about my writing journey. There were only 5 other people besides me. It was nice to start off with a small group. And yes, it was rather fun. I think they enjoyed it and it looked like some of them were interested in a few of my books. 

Thanksgiving is coming. We are going to my brother's for the day. That will be fun. I heard there is, or at least was, a chance of snow for Thanksgiving day, but I rather doubt it will be anything but rain. We just don't get snow this early most of the time.

Anyway, I'm keeping this really short because I need to get everything done on the computer that I can before breakfast so I can just work on the house. :D I hope you enjoy this short little story and the reminder that God is always good.


 God is Still Good

 

    Corina hugged her friend’s furry neck. “Come Maria, we’ll go back to the house. I’m sure Papa can help us.”
    The young alpaca nuzzled the small girl and walked quietly behind her across the yard and around the stone wall. It was cold, but Corina didn’t feel the biting air for she was well bundled up in warm clothes and a hat was pulled down over her dark hair.
    Coming up next to the house, Corina stopped. The door was open and Papa’s voice sounded stern.
    “You have been allowed to wallow in your sorrow and grief too long, Elia. It is time you returned to work and to God.”
    “God. He didn’t care about my Bridget when her time came!”
    Corina heard the pain in her brother’s voice.
    Papa’s voice was softer but no less firm. “You are wrong, my son. God was there and He took your Bridget home to live with Him. But he left you with a little daughter. A daughter who needs her papa to be strong and to provide for her. You have not done that, my Elia. You have turned bitter. You are like the pigs that love to wallow in the dirt and mud. They can be clean but they wish not to be. You too are wallowing in what is not clean and pure. You would rather sit and do nothing and blame God when He is good.”
    “If He is good, why did He take my Bridget, Papa? Why?”
    Carina felt her eyes fill with tears. Bridget had been such a dear older sister to her. She too had wondered why God had taken her.
    “My Elia,” Papa’s voice was gentle, tender. “I do not know the ways of God. But I do know that He gives and He takes away because He is good. Pain and suffering, grief and death are the fault of mankind, not God. When your mama was so ill before she died, I asked the same questions. And I got an answer. I prayed, but God chose to say no. I too say no to Corina at times just like I said no to you and Manuel when you were young. It was not that I don’t love you. It was because I did love you.”
    Corina listened hard and heard what sounded like a sob. Turning, she wrapped her arms around her alpaca’s neck and hid her face.
    “Pray for me, Papa. I don’t understand, and I feel so lost without my Bridget. I want to trust that God knows best, but I don’t see how taking my daughter’s mother could be best.”
    “I do not see it either, my son.” Papa’s voice was husky. “I still do not understand why He chose to take your mama either. But this I do know, though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. I will be praying for you, Elia. Bring your little one over and let Corina mother her for a time. She is always mothering the orphaned animals.”
    “Thank you, Papa. I will. I must go now. The neighbor can only stay a little. Can I come here and work?”
    “Of course. There is much to do.”
    Corina looked around and saw Elia leave the house and stride away. He hadn’t seen her. Papa came to the door and looked after him. Then he turned. His face was gentle as he looked at her.
    “Are you willing to mother your little niece, my Corina? It is hard to be without a mother, and your brother is still hurting.”
    “Oh, yes, Papa. I will take care of the little one. Maria will help me.” She hugged her furry friend. “Papa, God is still good, isn’t He?”
    “Yes. Always good, Carina. Never forget that.” 

 

How has your week been?
Anything happening that makes you excited?
Do you have plans for Thanksgiving?

4 comments:

Joyful said...

Aww, what a touching story! I'm reminded of "the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." from the book of Job! I enjoyed reading this and would be happy to see more parts to it. :)

I like the questions that you put at the end of all your posts! They stimulate good conversations! My week FLEW by! How is it already the second to last day of the week?! I'm excited this week as I've been getting in some writing. We don't have big plans for Thanksgiving - we usually just have a smaller version meal at home!

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Joyful. I'd like to see more of this story too, but I don't know when it could happen. :D

Oh good, I'm glad my questions are enjoyed. I love hearing from my readers so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself. ;) And I agree! The days are flying. Yay for writing! Smaller Thanksgiving days are good too.

Charis said...

Yes, this story was very sweet, especially Corina's wllingness to be a 'mother' for her niece! Happy Thanksgiving!

Rebekah said...

I wanted to give Corina a hug and help with the baby. :)
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Charis!