Background

Friday, March 20, 2020

Florida - Part 2

Good morning, FFFs,
Life is changing for sure. At least temporarily. With the coronavirus coming to a city about an hour away, our church elders decided to cancel all services until Easter. It's going to be a LONG 3 weeks. No Sunday services to mark the start of each week. No Wednesday Awana to flag the middle of the week. I'm sure some of you are already in this sort of situation. But God already knew this was coming. He wasn't taken by surprise by any of it, so let's trust that He knows the beginning and the ending of this, and He will work ALL things for our good.

On another note, I've been doing some writing. About 3,300+ words so far. We've had rain and clouds most of the week. But yesterday the sun came out around 1:30. And it was warm! My sister and I went out and walked. So nice to walk in the sunshine! We've walked in the clouds this week, but the sunshine was wonderful.
I'm trying to get my last Read Another Page blog post for March done. It's going to be fun! There will be games and a giveaway, so don't miss it!
I've also been working on getting the rest of the lessons for my Self-Publishing course done. I think I'm going to add a bonus lesson on how to turn your paperback book into a kindle.
Besides that, I'm getting ready for Camp NaNo! Yes, in spite of all the craziness going on, I'm going to do Camp. And we don't have to practice "social distancing" there since it's all virtual. :) Does anyone else want to join my cabin Next Door? We still have empty beds.

Anyway, here is the next part of this story. I hope you enjoy it.

Florida
Part 2

    “Sure.” Ria’s answer was absentminded as she eyed her new pet. “Does it drink milk like a kitten?”
    “I don’t think so.”
    “It’s so small, maybe it eats bugs.”
    “It’s not a bird, Ria.”
    “No, but other things eat insects. Lizards do.” She frowned thoughtfully. “But snakes don’t.”
    “He can have the little meat in my sandwich this time,” Lydia offered, opening her sack lunch on the counter and pulling out her sandwich. “But where are you going to keep him?”
    “I don’t know. Oh, wait! There’s an old pail up in the attic that was used for milking at the farm. I’ll run up and get it. You won’t mind watching Florida, will you?”
    “Uh,” Lydia’s eyes widened. “I’ll go get it.” She was halfway up the stairs before she shouted down, “Why’d you name him Florida? Isn’t that kind of girly?”
    “Maybe. I’ll try thinking of another name.” While she waited for her friend to return, Ria set the alligator back in his little box. “I wish I knew what to do with you. Why couldn’t Tom have at least sent directions. I know you’re going to need some water, but do you like to swim or just get wet? Won’t Chris laugh when he sees you. If I leave you a minute, will you promise to stay right there?”
    The alligator didn’t answer, and after watching it a moment, Ria rushed to the back door, unlocked it, and stepped outside. Darting to the edge of the garden, she picked up two rather flat rocks and raced back to the house. She was panting when she stopped in the kitchen, but the alligator hadn’t moved. “Maybe you’re cold,” she mused, half aloud. “Since you are a reptile–Aren’t you a reptile? Oh, dear, I wonder if anyone at school knows how to take care of an alligator.”
    Sinking down onto the chair and setting the rocks on the table, Ria rested her chin in her hands and stared down at the small creature until Lydia returned with the old metal pail.
    “We’ll have to hurry, Ria, or we’re going to be late back to school.”
    “Oh, school!” The girls worked quickly. Filling the bottom of the bucket with an inch or so of water, Lydia placed the rocks in the middle and Ria picked up her pet and set him on the rocks. “Do you think he can climb out?” she asked Lydia anxiously.
    “I don’t know. But he’s probably hungry. Do you think if we just dropped some food in he’d know how to eat it?”
    “Let’s try.”
    “Here, you drop it.” And Lydia handed a piece of meat from her sandwich to Ria. “I don’t want him thinking my fingers are something to eat.”
    At first the alligator wouldn’t touch the meat, and Ria wondered again if he needed something different. At last the girls could linger no longer, and after a worried look at the table where the bucket sat, Ria followed Lydia out the door. They would have to hurry to make it back to school on time.
    Arriving breathless but on time, the girls hurried to their room and took their seats. No sooner had class begun when Ria’s hand shot up into the air.
    “Yes, Ria?” Miss Marsh said.
    “Do you know anything about taking care of an alligator?”
    “An alligator?” Miss Marsh echoed in a puzzled voice. “No, I can’t say that I do. Why do you ask?”
    “Oh, just because there’s one sitting in an old milking pail on the kitchen table back home.” She shrugged and grinned. “Tom sent it. From Florida. He’s really little. Came in a cigar box.”
    “Tom came in a cigar box? He must have gotten small.” And Miss Marsh looked amused.
    “No, the alligator did. I don’t know if he’s a boy or a girl, so I’m having trouble naming him.”
    “Well, I would suggest you talk to Mr. Beemer in the science department after school. He might be able to give you some advice. Now let’s get on to our studies.”
    To Ria, the afternoon dragged by. She kept wondering if her mom had come home and what she thought. “Or maybe I’ll get home before her. But not if I have to talk to Mr. Beemer. Then Chris will get home before me.” She sagged in her seat and stared out the window. “No, he has ROTC today. Florida, or whatever his name is, will be safe.” She swallowed back a laugh and tried to focus on what Miss Marsh was saying.

    Ria had no chance to talk to the science teacher, for as soon as class was dismissed the other students swarmed around her, all asking if she really had a live alligator at her house. Some of the girls squealed, but the boys were eager.
    “Can we come see it?”
    “How big is it?”
    “Who sent it to you?”
    Finally Ria stood up, clutching her school books against her. “If you’ll all be quiet, I’ll answer you. You’re almost as bad as the gang when you get going. Yes, you can all come home and see Florida. I need to find out what to feed it though–”
    “Can’t you ask him tomorrow?”
    “Yeah, I have to get home, but I want to see an alligator first.”
    “Okay, okay!” And Ria shoved her way through her eager classmates. “But if Florida dies because he ate the wrong thing tonight, it’s your fault.”

Would you have told your teacher about Florida?
Are you doing Camp NaNo next Month?
How has the Coronavirus effected you?

2 comments:

Katja L. said...

Excited for the next part! I’ve no idea what she’s gonna do :D

Rebekah said...

:) I can't say I'd know what to do if I got an alligator in the mail. :)