Background

Friday, October 28, 2022

Untitled

 Good morning!

Well, um, I don't know what to post. This week has been crazy busy with opening the gates of camp, and having already reached and passed our record for the number of campers. Plus, our book "A Homewood Christmas" is having its launch tour this week. And I've been trying to write, and we found out yesterday that my aunt and grandpa are coming down today and will be here through Saturday. My oldest niece and the 4 oldest nephews all have volleyball games tonight and tomorrow and grandpa wanted to see his great grandchildren playing. I also had training for the upcoming election. Anyway, it's been crazy and I just realized this morning that today was Friday and I was supposed to post something. I'll have to see what I can find.

The weather this week has been more fall. It's warmer than it was last week, but we had two lovely days of rain, which we really needed. Now we've had sunshine and temperatures in the 60s in the day time. Makes for lovely walking weather.

But that's that. I don't have time to give you a big long post about my day to day life this week. But I know today will be busy. Tomorrow my aunt, best friend and I are going on a 5 mile hike at one of the State Parks nearby. Then I'll probably have at least Goosey Girl (my 2-y-o niece), and maybe Busters and Ti-K that afternoon/evening while the others have games. And then on Sunday my sis and I are singing in the ladies ensemble for church and then we have a fellowship meal afterwards. (We'll be celebrating the church's 80th year.) So busy keeps going.


Untitled

    Kevin and Kenzie stood by the brown picket fence which separated their aunt’s house from the neighbors.
    “‘Tis a lovely house entirely,” Kenzie sighed. “So different from our cottage back home.”
    “Aye,” her brother nodded. “Sure and everything here in this country is new and different. We aren’t likely to be seein’ fields of heather, an’ the crags of these mountains are different sure.”
    “But it’s not the crags I’m lookin’ at Kevin, ‘tis that house. Don’t you think we might go over an’ give them the top o’ the morning?”
    Kevin shook his head. “Aunt Shelia said we were to stay in the yard until she is ready to go out with us. Sure and it wouldn’t be a good way to start our visit by leavin’ the yard after that.”
    “But,” persisted Kenzie, staring at the brown, weathered house, “t’would only be next door just.”
    “Aye, but she didn’t say not to wander off, she said don’t leave the yard. Those are different things entirely. But we can look at the house from here. Have ye ever seen stairs like them on the outside of a house? Tis curious indeed where they lead to. Aunt Shelia has no such stairs.”
    “Aye, an’ look at all the window panes, Kevin, it’s glad I am not to be havin’ the washin’ of them entirely!”
    Kevin nodded.
    “Kevin! Kenzie!”
    The brother and sister turned from the fence and ran to the door where their aunt stood.
    “I’m so sorry, but I won’t be able to take you out this morning. That phone call just put a wrinkle in my plans. I’ll have to stay here and take care of some things. But if you two would like to go wander the village, I’ll let you go alone. Kevin, you have a watch, don’t you?”
    “Sure and he has a watch, Aunt Shelia.”
    Aunt Shelia smiled. “Very well then, you two can run along but be back by noon if you want some lunch. Another day I’ll pack you a lunch to take with you.”
    As the siblings started toward the gate, Kenzie said, “Sure and now we can go and see who lives in that old house entirely!”

How was your week?
What do you think of this short story?
Any ideas of what happens next?

No comments: