Background

Friday, February 12, 2021

Lawrence & Lenexa - Part 5

Good morning, FFFs,

Happy almost Valentine's Day. We were supposed to have our Widows' Valentine Luncheon tomorrow, but we postponed it due to the weather. You see, we've had temperatures below freezing since Sunday. And Sunday & Monday we had freezing mist and the roads were slick, and since then it has snowed every day. But, lest you think we have a lot of snow, it feels like we live in a snow globe right now, because it snows almost all day, and things don't melt, yet there isn't much more snow in the evening than there was in the morning. So we aren't sure if the snow is just blowing around and not landing, or what. Anyway, church was cancelled Wednesday night, and we decided to just postpone the luncheon until next Saturday so the ladies didn't have to try and get out in this.

This week has been a little different than I expected because Lawrence & Lenexa got stuck, I have ideas for 3 different stories, and I'm already almost 5k words into one of them. That story is the next Woodbreak book. Yep, Phil Wood is being written. My brain is swirling with ideas and thoughts for it. I'm hoping it all comes together well.

If you haven't taken the time to go find the items in the Scavenger Hunt for Sarah Holman's new book Fanny's Hope Chest, go do it. It's lots of fun! Some of the items are a bit more challenging to find, but I did find them all. So check the post out about it HERE. And yes, I am hosting one of the pictures on Read Another Page.

And don't forget that Fanny's Hope Chest is only $.99 pre-order right now! Saturday is the final day of this price, so grab your copy NOW!

And now I hope you enjoy this next part of this story. I have no idea what I'm going to give you next week, so I guess you'll just have to come back and see.

 

 Lawrence & Lenexa
Part 5

    “Saundra? What would she know about clothes?”
    Lawrence set his glass of water down. “She has some brothers around my age, so I’m sure she would know what kinds of clothes are going to last.”
    “And,” Lenexa went on, trying not to sound too eager, “I’m sure she knows about shopping for girls since she was one once. We could get the easy things, Mom, like the play clothes and swimming suits. Then later, maybe after school is out, you can go with us to get the nicer clothes.”
    “Sounds like a sensible suggestion to me,” Mr. Johnson said before his wife could swallow her bite of food and answer. “You are busy, Camelia, and it is time to teach our children to be responsible.”
    “Yes, but how will they know what they need to get?”
    The conversation went on all through the rest of the meal, but it was finally decided that the twins would make a list of everything they thought they needed and would give it to their mother to look over. Then, if Saundra could be persuaded to change her cleaning day to Friday, and was willing to take charge of Lawrence and Lenexa for their first shopping trip alone, they could go.
    “I suppose I’ll have to get Mrs. Hamstead to call Saundra and see about the change of plans,” Mrs. Johnson sighed. Mrs. Hamstead didn’t like plans to change without at least a week of advance notice.
    “Mother,” Lenexa said, laying her napkin on the table, “since it was our idea, maybe Lawrence or I should call Saundra. I could try her right now.”
    “Use the phone in the den,” Mr. Johnson said. “The number will be in the phone book on the desk.”
    Not waiting for her mother’s permission, Lenexa rose and walked calmly from the dining room. Inside she was elated. If only Saundra would be able to switch her cleaning day and take her and Larry shopping for clothes. “I’ll bet we’d have more fun than with Mom,” she murmured under her breath.

    When the twins went upstairs to finish their studying and go to bed, they hurried into their play room and shut the door. Sagging against it, Lenexa drew a deep breath and let it out slowly. “When she didn’t answer I was afraid she wouldn’t be able to do it,” she.”
    “I still can’t believe Mom agreed to such a thing!” And Lawrence shook his head. “Imagine us going shopping for clothes with Saundra instead of Mrs. Hamstead or Mom!”
    “I just hope nothing comes up to change things,” Lenexa said. “Do you think we could get those forms filled out before then so we could mail them when we are out?”
    Lawrence looked thoughtful as he slowly crossed the room. Staring out the window into the leafy branches of the oak tree, he shrugged. “Wouldn’t hurt to try. But we’ll have to find a good time to get Dad to sign the papers.”
    “I know.” Lenexa joined him. “And we still have school. Ugh. I wish it were over!”
    “Speaking of school, we’d better get to studying for that test tomorrow.”
    “You do bring up the nicest subjects, Larry,” Lenexa remarked with a groan.
    Lawrence grinned. “It wasn’t me; you’re the one who mentioned school.”

    It wasn’t until Friday that the twins found a chance to approach their dad about signing the consent forms for them to attend Mountain View Christian Summer Camp. Mr. Johnson had picked up his children after school.
    “Mom had to go over to help Mrs. Pendergrass get ready for the club meeting tomorrow,” he told them when they climbed into the car. “And Mrs. Hamstead was busy with some mix-up and couldn’t be disturbed.”
    “That’s okay, Dad,” Lawrence said.
    “I like it when you pick up up, Daddy,” Lenexa added, leaning forward to pat her father’s shoulder. “You are always so busy that we don’t get to talk to you much.”
    Mr. Johnson gave a slight chuckle. “Okay, what are you kids wanting now? That flattery was leading into some request.” He glanced in his mirror at the twins.
    “Lexi’s right, Dad,” Lawrence said, using the nickname he’d given his sister years before and never dared using before their mother or Mrs. Hamstead. “We don’t get much time with you.”
    “Uh huh.” Mr. Johnson didn’t look convinced.
    With a slight grin, Lawrence turned to his sister and asked in a loud whisper, “Do you think Dad would take us to get ice cream at Dairy Queen?”
    Lenexa giggled. “Maybe if we promise not to tell Mom.”
    At that Mr. Johnson gave a laugh. “Okay, okay, I can take a hint. Dairy Queen it is. But if I hear the slightest mention of doing such a thing before your mother, I’m cutting your allowances in half for a full month!”
    Lenexa hid a smile behind her hand. Perhaps this evening would be a good time to get those forms signed.
    The ice cream tasted good, and even Mr. Johnson loosened his tie and seemed to enjoyed himself.
    Arriving at home, Lawrence was handed the remaining evidence of their stop for ice cream, and sent around to the kitchen to dispose of it.
    “Got any homework to do, Lenexa?” Mr. Johnson asked as he walked beside his daughter into the house.
    “Only a little. Since school ends next week, we don’t have much.” Lenexa walked in silence for a few more steps. “Daddy,” she asked, looking up at him, “are you going to be busy all evening?”
    “Not too terribly. Why?”
    “Can Larry and I see you about something important?”
    Mr. Johnson raised his eyebrows. “Legal counsel or just advice?”
 

Does your dad ever take you to Dairy Queen or elsewhere for ice cream?
Have you joined the Scavenger Hunt
Do you have any ice and snow?

8 comments:

Katja L. said...

I love this!! :D

Ellen said...

Lovely chapter!! I enjoyed it! <3
My family enjoys going to Bruster's for ice cream during summer break or for a super-special treat. Chick-fil-A milkshakes are good too. :) I don't know if I've ever had Dairy Queen.

Rebekah said...

:) I'm glad.

Rebekah said...

I don't think I've ever heard of Bruster's. Is it a local ice cream place?
Glad you are enjoying this story.

Anonymous said...

"Legal counsel or just advice?" That line made me smile! :)

Rebekah said...

Me too. :D

Edith Bingham said...

Yes, we sometimes go to ice cream stores, though typically not dairy queen:) I did join the scavenger hunt and had a lot of fun! Though, I'm hoping they are going to tell us the answers?? I started mentally jumping up and down when you said that you are working on Phil Wood!!!! I'm SO excited for the next book! I am dying with curiosity as to what the lawyer had to tell Lake Wood at the end of this book! Would you please either complete that story for me personally or somehow tie it into the next book? :) We have had crazy cold weather here too, though it hasn't snowed:( It's supposed to over the weekend though, and when it snows here, it ices, and everyone is stuck! Us Texans have NO idea how to drive in winter weather! I LOVED the continuation of this story! I love the sibling relationship in it!

Rebekah said...

Thanks for the lovely comment, Edith!
"Phil Wood" is moving right along and all sorts of things are happening. :) Oh, I kind of forgot about the lawyer in Lake's story. Hmm, I wonder if it would tie in with Phil's story? If it doesn't, I'll do my best to let you know all about it.
Ah, yes, the lovely winter weather of ice and snow that keeps us southern people housebound. Maybe you'll get some snow to enjoy.
Oh, and as to the Scavenger Hunt, I don't know if they are going to let everyone know the answers. I'll ask, and if they weren't planning on it, I'll suggest it. ;) Because you're right, it would be nice to know for sure.