Background

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

A Red Truck and . . .

Merry 5th of December!
This is one of my favorite Christmas decorations this year. Why? Because I have fallen in love with red trucks and Christmas trees. :) I wanted an ornament for the tree of a red truck, but they were too expensive. So, when I discovered this red truck in the box of cars and trucks, I made use of it. And Garlandsburg could do without one tree. ;)



It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas–
The song played over the radio in the kitchen and drifted into the living room where Miss Kennedy stood at the window. She was waiting for the mailman, and he was late.
"Not that it really matters," she sighed, brushing a few strands of hair off her face. "There's no one to enjoy Christmas with me this year." She wasn't young anymore, though she wasn't old either. Just in that middle age where she didn't seem to fit anywhere. A few gray hairs had found their way onto her brown head and a lines around her eyes and mouth showed a little more when she smiled.
There's a tree in the Grand Hotel– the song continued.
"But not here," Miss Kennedy remarked to no one. "I despise fake trees and don't have money or the strength to lug in a real one." She lived all alone in the old farmhouse. Not even a cat kept her company because Miss Kennedy didn't particularly like cats. She preferred dogs–big dogs–if they were well trained.
Just as she was about to turn from the window, her still sharp eyes caught a glimpse of something red out on the distant road. It was a truck. Perhaps the same truck she had seen driving by once or twice before in the last few days. She didn't know who owned the truck, but she liked it. She always had liked red trucks.
 "Is it carrying something?" she whispered to herself. A bend in the road and a stand of trees hid the truck for a moment. Then it reappeared. "Yes, it is. Why, it has a Christmas tree on the back! If there's one thing I like better than a red truck, it's a red truck carrying a Christmas tree." With a smile she watched the truck as it drove along the winding road, sometimes disappearing from sight, but always reappearing a moment later. It came closer and closer. As it approached her driveway, it slowed, and–to Miss Kennedy's astonishment, confusion, and consternation–turned into it.
"Who on earth is driving that truck? And why did he turn in here?"

. . .

Tell me what you think happens. Finish the story if you wish, or just leave your suggestions. If I end up writing this story and use your suggestion, I'll send you a copy of the finished story. (Perhaps even with a cover!)

4 comments:

Ryana Lynn said...

Alright, so of course the Christmas tree is for her, so maybe have her strike up a conversation with the person (why did they bring her a tree? Maybe because they thought the front window looked so lonely.) I think it would be sooo cute if the truck driver is like a teenage boy who's just lonely for Christmas too, maybe his mother had just passed, or an older sibling is away (college, military) and he needs someone to talk to. He has a big, well trained German Shepherd and that brings back memories for her of her childhood...okay, that's where my inspiration well runs dry, lol!

Rebekah said...

Oh, I love the idea! :D Hmm, I guess I'll have to write another story. ;)

I hope you enjoy what I did end up writing. :)

Ryana Lynn said...

Lol, I did stop to notice the new post! Just read it and I can tell I'm going to love it!

Yep, you take what I gave you and run with another story!

Lissa. L said...

Hey Rebekah!
I wanted to know if you are still writing 'Ria and the gang'? I really, really enjoyed 'Home fires of the Great War'! It is one of my favourite historical periods, and you did a great job with it! (I'm working on a review. ��) I also really enjoyed the snippets of 'Ria and the Gang'. My siblings and I are 3 times our cousins. They are all boys, but only 1 is older than me. The two others are 2 years or more younger than me. But I've always enjoyed reading about boys and girls friendships, that are 'clean', if I may say that. "Ria and the gang make me think of a more modern version of '8 cousins', only Ria and the gang are actually 15 cousins. �� I really enjoy following your blog (s) and reading your stories, both here and published!