Background

Friday, December 15, 2017

Kelsey's Christmas – Part 4

Morning FFFs!
I think some of you still read these posts even if the month is flying by. I can't keep up. I was going to do a lot of Christmas-y posts for you, but in case you hadn't noticed, that hasn't happened. Sorry. I don't know what has happened to my days. I feel like I'm working on one thing and then another, and I still can't get things done. I've hardly had time to write. I'm working on getting everything organized and put together for our Monday caroling to the widows at church. It's always so much fun, and everyone looks forward to it, but this is the first year I've been in charge of it. *gulp* I still have to get new directions typed up as the old ones we had were so basic that it was still easy to get lost.

Tomorrow night I'm joining several others at an Assisted Living Center nearby to sing for the residence. Then on Sunday evening is the church Christmas program and fellowship meal afterwards. Then comes Caroling on Monday.

I was going to write a Tour of Garlandsburg, but it didn't happen. Sorry. But I hope you enjoy this next part of Kelsey's Christmas.

Kelsey's Christmas
Part 4

    Kelsey didn’t say a word as the others scrambled to their feet, brushing off hay and shivering in the cold. Feeling shy, she followed Belle to the end of the truck where Wally was waiting to help them down. The others were gathered at the end of the walk. If they had to go, Kelsey was at least thankful that Mike and Lauren were with them.
    Zoe led the way up the path, onto the wide porch, and flung open the double front doors, waving them all into a large entry way. A wide staircase wound its way upward before them while doorways on either side gave glimpses of fine rooms with high class furniture. Everyone seemed awed into silence staring about them.
    “Mom?” Zoe called.
    A door opened, and a lovely woman came out, a bright smile on her face and looking so much like Zoe, that Kelsey lost some of her timidity. “Welcome, all of you. Wally, Zoe, take their coats. I gave Linda the night off, so don’t wait for her. Just put them in the dining room, Wally,” she directed as coats were taken off, hats, gloves and scarfs tucked into pockets and sometimes sleeves. “Now, I know I’ve seen you all in town, but I’ve never gotten to properly meet all of you. I’m Mrs. Wittenmyer.” She held out her hand.
    Mike took it and introduced himself, but before he could do more than look at the others, Zoe interrupted.
    “Oh, do let me introduce them, Mike. I think I can get everyone’s name right. Mom, this is Lauren, Kelsey, Lottie, Marie, Ellen, Penny, Shannon, and Belle.” She looked quickly back at Kelsey. “Did I get them all right?”
    Kelsey shook her head, an amused smile on her face. “You mixed up Ellen and Penny.”
    “I didn’t. I did?” She stared at the two girls, and when one giggled, Zoe shook her head. “That’s Penny. They look so much alike!”
    “You need more practice, Sis,” Wally teased, coming back into the room. “Is Grandma awake?” he asked his mom before Zoe could reply.
    Nodding, Mrs. Wittenmyer motioned toward the door she had just come through. “Yes, and she’s very eager to see you. When you’ve finished visiting, come to the kitchen for some hot chocolate and cookies.”
    Kelsey blinked. Hot chocolate and cookies in a place like this? A small hand slipped into hers and glancing down she saw Belle looking up at her.
    “Do we really have to go see someone?” the little girl whispered.
    “Don’t worry, Honey, she’s Zoe’s grandma. You like visiting the older ladies at the home, don’t you?”
    “She’s like them?” Belle had only gone a few times to the home, and after her original shyness had worn off, had enjoyed going.
    “I’m sure she is. Come on, they’re waiting for us.”
    The hall, covered by a rich carpet, gave no sound to the footsteps as they approached a closed door. Zoe knocked, and a bright, eager voice bid them come in.
    Zoe opened the door and poked her head inside. “We’ve brought them, Grandma. Are you ready for visitors?”
    “Of course, child, come in.”
    A few lamps cast a soft yellow light about the room. A white haired woman clad in a warm dressing gown and slippers a gay afghan spread over her knees, sat in an easy chair near a small open fire and beamed a welcoming smile at her visitors. The sight of the fireplace in a room that wasn’t the living room seemed to silence even Lottie’s tongue.
    “Here they are,” Zoe said merrily, stepping up beside the woman and stooping to kiss her cheek. “I told you I’d find a way to capture the whole lot.”
    The older woman smiled indulgently at her granddaughter before turning to the others. “I’m so glad you came. I’ve been hearing so much about you, and since I can’t get out now, it was kind of my grandchildren to invite you over.”
    “Oh, they didn’t invite us,” Lottie said, laughing. “It was all some secret plot that only they and Mike knew about. And possibly Lauren.” She looked accusingly at her oldest sister, and Lauren simply smiled. “I’m–”
    “Let me guess,” Mrs. Wittenmyer said, holding up her hand. “You are Lottie. One of the best roller skaters my grandchildren have ever seen.”
    “I’m not that good,” Lottie protested, a rosy glow rising in her cheeks that wasn’t made by the warmth of the fire.
    “Now,” continued Mrs. Wittenmyer, “you must be Lauren, because Zoe tells me you are engaged to that handsome fellow you are holding hands with.” Mrs. Wittenmyer’s eyes twinkled. “Do you have a wedding date set yet?”
    “No, ma’am.”
    “I’d marry her on Christmas Day,” Mike replied. “But she wants a spring wedding.”
    “I was married in the spring,” Mrs. Wittenmyer commented. “The crabapple trees were all in blossom, and when the wind blew, it sent the lovely petals drifting down on the cake and into drinks, for we were married outside. But,” she added, “I would rather have flower petals in my drink any day than the spider who drowned in my cup.”
    “Ew! Grandma!” Zoe shuddered.
    Moving closer, Penny looked eager. “What did you do? Did you drink it?”
    “No, but I was about to. When I saw it, I shrieked, dropped the glass, and wouldn’t touch another thing to eat or drink until my new husband took me away.” The grandmother smiled. “I can laugh about it now, but for the longest time I dared not drink anything which had been outside, nor would I take even a glass of lemonade out to enjoy on the porch. But enough about me.” She looked from one face to another, stopping at last with Kelsey. “You must be Kelsey.”
    Kelsey nodded and smiled.
    “Zoe can’t stop talking about you. It’s Kelsey this and Kelsey that. No need to blush, child, it’s all good things she tells me. Now, which child goes with which name? Zoe rattles names off, but aside from the older three, I get everyone else mixed up.”

Have you ever met someone who had heard all about you?
Have you ever gone to look at Christmas lights?
How has your December been so far?

2 comments:

Liberty Bluebelle said...

I can't remember. =P
Yes. My favorites are the ones that include nativity scenes. =)
Fast! It just...disappeared! =D

Liberty Bluebelle

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Rebekah said...

Christmas lights are fun. I'm not too fond of the really bright LED lights. They seem to harsh to me.
I agree on the fast! ;)