Background

Friday, December 1, 2017

Kelsey's Christmas – Part 1

Happy First of December FFFs!
I'm feeling a bit mixed right now. I'm excited that it's finally December. I feel that November shouldn't be over yet. But it also feels that it has been December for days now since most of the Christmas decorating is finished. Kind of crazy to feel everything at once. What about you? What are you feeling?

I still haven't finished the decorating. I know I said it was almost done, but I've been saying that, or thinking that for a few days now. I just can't seem to get it finished because things take longer than I thought they would since I'm doing pretty much all the decorating alone, and then we suddenly remember something else that hadn't gotten finished. 

I've written a little this week. Not much, but I'm hoping to write a little more tonight and tomorrow night. But which story should I work on? I could work more on this Christmas story, since I do need to write the ending of it. Or I could work on my AZ Christmas story that won't be posted on here. Or there is the other Christmas story that I started that might get posted on here or it might not. Don't know how long it will be. :)

The kids are coming over tomorrow morning to make Christmas Cookies!!! That's going to be fun! They enjoy cutting them out, but the best part is decorating them. I love watching them really get into the decorating. Some are very careful about how they put the sprinkles on, and others just dump. The one who will be quite interesting is Ti-K. She's almost 3, and is sure she can do everything her big siblings can. I have a feeling she'll be eating more sprinkles than the others. ;)

Have any of you gotten snow yet? We sure haven't. It's been warm. In the 50's-60's mostly. I'm ready for cold and snow. :) I like snow. And Christmas books. Did I mention I loved Christmas stories? Well, I do. I'm reading a collection of 7 books, and went to the library yesterday and picked up 2 more books to read. And I didn't mention how many others I have on my kindle waiting for me. :) Can I just go read now?

I don't know if this story title will change or not once I reach the ending. If so, I'll make sure you know it's not a different story. Oh, and since it is December, I don't know when I'll be posting next. ;) I might post on Monday or Tuesday. So keep your eyes open. And if you are needing any Christmas book recommendations, don't forget the "24 Books before Christmas" posts I'm doing on Read Another Page.

Kelsey's Christmas
Part 1

    “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,” Lottie sang, pointing toward a wreath which hung on a front door.
    “Everywhere you go,” joined in Kelsey, linking her arm with her younger sister.
    It was mild day for December, not at all like the ones in story books with bitter wind, snow and ice. The sun was actually shining, and only two wispy clouds could be found overhead in the deep blue sky. Arms linked, the girls strolled along the sidewalk singing and searching for any decorations already up. It was early in the month, and only a few people had started preparing for Christmas.
    “There’s a tree in the grand hotel.”
    Lottie picked up the next line with a pretend snobbish toss of her head. “One in the park as well.”
    And then the two girls, leaning their heads together, joined their voices. “The sturdy kind that doesn’t mind the snow!”
    “Kels,” Lottie interrupted their song to say, “wouldn’t it be fun if we had a large Christmas tree this year? One that filled the whole corner of the living room and reached almost to the ceiling. We could move some of the furniture out.”
    Kelsey laughed. “And what would you do with all of us, pray tell, when we wanted to sit around the fire on a cold winter evening?”
    “We would leave enough seats for all of us.”
    “And what about when Mike wants to cover over?”
    “Oh, there’s still plenty of room. I’m going to suggest it. Come on, let’s race home.”
    “I can’t run through the middle of town, Lottie. Besides, I thought you wanted to look in the shop windows?”
    The girls, returning from a visit to some elderly friends in the home for old folks, had decided to take the longer, more round about way and look for Christmas decorations in a different part of town. Waiting to cross a road, Kelsey rubbed her leg. She had broken it that summer saving the life of old Mr. Stuebanks, and it still ached at times.
    “We can skip downtown if your leg hurts,” Lottie offered, looking worried.
    “It’s all right. Just a little tired. I think we were walking faster than it likes. Come on, let’s cross the street.” Neither sister talked as they approached Main Street. They could see from where they were that the lamp posts were wrapped with green garlands, and large red bows were tied under the lights. “I’m sure it looks so pretty at night,” Kelsey sighed.
    “Perhaps we can get Mike to take all us girls some night. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind. Just to drive around and see the lights,” Lottie added quickly. “Then he can drop us off at home and can take Lauren out to–wherever it is they want to go. I mean to ask him next time he’s over. Unless–”
    Something in Lottie’s voice made Kelsey turn and look at her. “Unless what? Come on, Lott, you’ve got that look on your face. What are you thinking?”
    “Well, Zoe’s brother has a nice car–”
    “No. Lottie, listen, just because Wally’s been nice to us, and he and Zoe have come over to visit, doesn’t mean we should take advantage of it and ask him to take seven girls for a drive just to see the lights in the town.”
    “But you don’t mind asking Mike?”
    “No, because he’s practically family. Even if they aren’t married yet, they are engaged. And I wouldn’t be surprised if he suggested that very thing one of these mild nights.”
    “Well, all right. Oh, look at that window, Kels!” And Lottie forgot about seeing the shops at night and grew excited over the Christmas displays.
    Lingering longer than they meant, Kelsey suddenly noticed the wind had picked up. A quick glance up at the sky alarmed her. “Come on, Lott, I think that cold all the girls have been wanting is coming. Let’s get home.”
    Pulling their sweaters close, they started off, wishing they had their coats, for the wind, as though suddenly realizing that it was supposed to be winter, blew down from the north with increasingly colder gusts. “Kels, let’s stop at the drug store and call home. Perhaps Mike will be there and he can come and pick us up.”
    Kelsey shook her head. “He won’t be off work yet. And neither with Dad. We’ll just have to walk quickly. Come on.” Seizing her sister’s arm, Kelsey hustled her on, head ducked against the wind.
    Beep. Beep.
    The sound made both girls pause at the street corner and look up, their hair blowing in every direction, and the cold making their eyes water.
    “Hey! What are you two doing this far into town without coats? Where are you headed?” It was Wally. He had rolled a window in his car down and was looking right at them.
    “We’re heading home,” Kelsey replied loudly, for the wind tossed her words back in her face.
    Leaning over, Wally opened the passenger door. “Hop in. I’ll take you home.”
    Lottie shoved her sister toward the front, jerked open the back door and scrambled inside. “Whew!” she sighed shutting the door and pushing back her hair. “I’m glad to be out of that wind!”
    A little more slowly, Kelsey also climbed in and pulled the door shut. “You don’t have to go out of your way,” she protested, shivering as the heat from the car sent tingles up and down her arms. “We can walk.”
    A grin spread over Wally’s face. “I was just out running some errands for Mom. It won’t be a trouble. Besides,” he added, stopping at a red light and glancing at his passengers, “it would be safer for me to take you home.”
    “Safer?” Lottie asked, leaning forward. “What do you mean?”
    “If my sister heard that I let you two walk home in this weather, I’d be lucky if she spoke to me again before New Year.”
    Kelsey smiled. “Where is Zoe?”

Are you more like Kelsey or Lottie?
Do you enjoy looking at other people's decorations?
Are you excited about Christmas?

1 comment:

Liberty Bluebelle said...

Kelsey, yup (especially old fashioned Christmas lights), and starting to be. =D

In Joy,
Liberty Bluebelle

"Rejoice evermore."