Background

Monday, December 5, 2011

Favorite of Favorite Christmas Books

As the title suggests, this is my very favorite or favorite Christmas books. I've either had it read to me or have read it to myself each December for as long as I can remember. I've read it to others, lent the book to others and am looking forward to re-reading it once more this year. I know the story by heart and can quote parts of it.

"Three snowflakes fell. Exactly three. I counted them." (My favorite quote. :) )
"But Mother has to be home for Christmas!"


The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas
by
Madeleine L'Engle
(I do NOT recommend all of her books. This is by far the best.)

This is one of my favorite Christmas stories. I have read it or heard it read each Christmas for as long as I can remember. There is just something special in the sweet simplicity of 7-year-old Vickie Austin telling the story of her special Christmas. Her worries about the Christmas pageant where she has been chosen to be the angel of the Lord, about the possibility of her mother being in the hospital over Christmas, and if there will be any snow, just builds you for the wonderful ending that is sure to leave you with a feeling of peace. Sometimes I read this story several times during one Christmas season.

If you have never read this delightful and wonderful book, you should! You can find it here.

No comments: