Background

Friday, September 4, 2009

CPA ESSAY

Well, as I sit here and type, I am not hearing the hammering and banging and saws that I thought I would be hearing. There is a chance of rain today, but it is growing less each time we look. I don't know if anyone will be coming to help tear off the roof or not. For those of you who have no clue what I am talking about, we are in the process of tearing off the entire roof over the attic which is over the kitchen and building walls and a whole new roof. The room will then be our sewing/scrapbook room. It sure will be fun! But first we have to get the roof off and not get caught in any rain. I don't think it will rain, but . . .

Anyway, I know you didn't come to read about our roof and the rain. The post today is the essay I finally got written on the Joplin CPA. If you don't know what that is you will just have to read it.:) By the way, this is the first essay I remember writing, but don't tell any of my writing students that.;) I did do it the same week they had to write one. Okay, here it is.


CPA Experience


I’ll never forget my experience with the Joplin Citizen’s Police Academy. The Joplin Police Department began making this class available to citizens several years ago. Though starting out as a twelve week course, meeting once a week, it is now a ten week course packed full of information and fun. The Joplin CPA provided me with adventure, furnished me with potential writing material and increased my awareness and sense of responsibility as a citizen of my community.

My adventure began with the very first class when we were handed a program of what was to come. Later, my pulses raced as together with another class member we got to drive a police car and act the part of the officers during a traffic violation. When we got to the shooting range, it was exciting. I shot my first gun. Though I wouldn’t say I was a great shot, I did better than I had anticipated and I’ll never forget the thrill of getting to handle the SWAT team equipment. During the Investigations class, we learned, among other things, how fingerprints were lifted and even lifted some ourselves. Certainly learning how the interrogation officers know if someone is telling the truth will not be forgotten. Even before the classes were ended, I could see how my adventures could enhance my writing.

Participating in the Joplin Citizen’s Police Academy certainly had many benefits to me as a writer. As each class brought different officers in from the different departments to speak, I listened eagerly to all the personal adventures which were shared. I heard firsthand accounts of K-9 experiences, patrol encounters, and drug busting endeavors. What intriguing tales! Some would read practically like a legend of valor while others sound almost unbelievable By taking a few notes during class and listening well, I was able to go home and rewrite the stories for future use. When I later use one of the events mentioned, I will know I am retelling a true story. Surprisingly, writing down what I had heard engrained more firmly in my mind how I can be a better citizen.

As I strive to be a responsible citizen, it may not be some big thing that I do, but the little things that make a difference. By always pulling over to the RIGHT at once for any emergency vehicle, I can ensure that if they need to pass me, they can do so with safety. Although I may feel that my need of a policeman is great when something from my yard is stolen, I should recognize the fact that it could be a life and death situation that keeps the officers from responding immediately. Getting to know my neighbors can help promote community safety. As we keep an eye out for one another, our neighborhood greatly improves decreasing the need for police involvement.. Truly, seeing the Joplin Police officers through the eyes of the CPA has given me a greater respect for them and the challenging job they do.

My adventure with the Joplin CPA has enhanced my life in many ways.I now have new material for my writing and a determination to be a better citizen of my neighborhood and my city. Sharing what I have learned with others makes me hope that they too will be interested in attending the Citizen’s Police Academy. Indeed, I would encourage all who are interested in it to go to the Joplin Police web site at www.joplinpolice.org and find out how you can have an adventure of your own. Finally, in closing, I would like to say a hearty thank you to each of the officers who made my experience in the CPA so dynamic. I appreciate your service and dedication to our community.


So what did you think?

1 comment:

Heather Johnson said...

I glad you read this to us at class! It was fun to hear your experience!