Background

Friday, February 11, 2022

Through an Author's Eyes - Part 13

 Good morning,

Happy Friday and welcome by to this little corner of the internet. I had no idea when I started this blog 13 years ago that I'd still have it going today. Thanks for reading it. If it weren't for my readers and those who leave comments, I probably would stop posting.

This week has been good. The Widows' Luncheon at church on Sunday was great! We had 10 out of the 11 widows there, and 16 of the 24 secret sisters in attendance. Since the pen names we used last year were bird names, our theme was nature and birds. Lots of pink and yellow and ivy and flowers and bird nests, and birds.

Anyway, now I'm working on getting everything set up and ready for a new year. Our pen names this year are official Crayola color names. :D Would you pick Razzmatazz, or Desert Sand, or Salmon for your pen name? Or would you rather have something plain like Yellow or Green?

I have been busy writing this week. I am almost to 7k for the week. (I need about 200 words more.) I don't think I'll be writing today since all my nieces and nephews will be spending the day here. And tomorrow I'm helping with a wedding, so I don't know if I'll feel like writing tomorrow. But maybe I can get the 200 words in and reach 7k. We'll see.

Well, I hope you enjoy this next part of this story because I didn't have time to think about finding something different.

 

Through an Author's Eyes
Part 13

 

    Aunt Yvonne laughed. “I think it would work if everyone spent the night here. That way you could all get an early start and not have to wait around for the other too arrive.”
    “Oh,” Jaina exclaimed, “that would be fun.”
    “And we could all sleep in Annette’s room.”
    “Do you think you’d get any sleep?” Vic asked, speaking for the first time since the conversation had begun.
    “Probably not, but who cares? Maybe we could take a nap on the mountain side.”
    A general laugh followed this idea and the planning went on. Levi called Judah and after some talking, some waiting for Judah to call back, then another conversation, it was decided that Friday would work the best. They would hike early, be back in the early afternoon, and then Uncle Art and his wife would be over for supper. Annette was almost shaking with excitement. It was going to happen! She was going to go hiking in the Rocky Mountains! She was thankful she had brought her backpack and her usual supplies.
    The days that followed were even busier for Annette. She and Savanna, along with Ava, went to town and bought some supplies. Annette made the energy bars that her mom always made when they were going to go hiking on the Appalachian trail, the backpacks were packed with food, water, dry socks, rain gear, first-aid supplies and other things they might need. Into her pack, Annette slipped her NEO zipped securely into a close fitting protective cover. She hoped to be able to describe the sunrise as she watched it.

    Finally it was Thursday evening. Judah, Bethany, Elijah, Reuben, and Gabriel arrived just in time for supper. Jaina had been there for several hours before. It was a living bunch gathered around the table. Aunt Yvonne had prepared a true ranch meal and everyone ate with hearty appetites knowing that it would be the last big meal until they returned to the ranch after their climb.
    Together the four girls washed the dishes, dried them and put them away, wiped counters and swept the floor, chattering the entire time, while the boys took care of the chores and packed things in the van.
    Looking in the kitchen later, Aunt Yvonne said, “You girls should probably get to bed if you want to get any sleep before tomorrow. What time did Levi say you had to leave?”
    “About two,” Jaina replied. Then, turning to the others she said, “She’s right, we probably should at least try to get some sleep. Mountain climbing does require real energy not just nervous energy. Are we ready?”
    A chorus of nods answered and, after checking with the guys to make sure they weren’t needed for something, the four girls headed up to Annette’s room where three sleeping bags were already unrolled on the floor. In spite of the fact that they knew they needed to sleep, it took the girls over an hour before they settled down and were at least quiet. Annette, excited and eager for the morning, tried to force her brain to stop whirling and go to sleep, but it wasn’t working. She tired quoting Bible verses, telling herself a story, but nothing seemed to help. Then she recalled a trick her Mom had taught her. Listening for the soft ticking of the second hand on her watch which lay on the nightstand, she blinked her eyes rapidly for sixty seconds and then relaxed. She didn’t know why it worked, but it almost never failed to help her fall asleep.
    The next thing she knew was the beeping of the alarm clock. Jumping up, she slapped it off, almost knocking the clock onto Bethany. A general giggle ensued and the girls stirred to life. Everything was rapid. Clothes put on, hair bushed and pulled back, last minute things grabbed and then the girls crept through the dark and silent house to the kitchen.
    Five of the six guys were there waiting.
    “Where’s Levi?” Savanna asked in a whisper.
    “Gone to start the van,” Vic replied. “Better make sure you have extra sweatshirts because it’s chilly out there.”
    The back door opened and Levi entered. “Everyone ready?”
    “Yeah, I think so.”
    “All set?” Uncle Cleveland asked, his voice deep from sleep. “Before you head out, let’s have a word of prayer.” Heads bowed. “Father, thank You for this new day. Thank You that these young people want to enjoy your beautiful creation. Please be with them and protect them on their adventures in the mountains. Keep them safe and let them enjoy time together and with You. In Your Son’s Name, I pray. Amen.”
    A soft murmur of “Amen” answered and then it was time to grab backpacks and slip out into the dark of the early morning. They would drive to the start of the trail and then hike up to an overlook and watch the sunrise. After that the trail wound up the mountain to it’s peak and then they would all return to the van and drive back to the ranch. It all sounded simple enough.
    The van was crowded as everyone squished in the twelve passenger vehicle Judah had driven over. There was some talk and laughter as they pulled out of the lane, but then all fell silent.
    “Levi,” Judah said, his voice sounding loud in the stillness of the van, “if you have your pocket Bible, why don’t you read something for us on the drive.”
    Annette settled into her seat a little more and listened as her cousin’s voice read one of her favorite passages.
    “The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speak and night unto night showeth forth knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard.”
    For some reason, as she listened, Annette felt a strange excited tingling in her spine. She could hardly wait to start up the mountainside. 

 

Have you ever hiked in the mountains?
What color name would you want to use as a pen name?
Do you want more of this story or something different next week?

6 comments:

Dorcas Joy said...

I like the new background! The luncheon sounds lovely. Pink and yellow are my favorite colors. :) I like the pen name themes! I probably would like to use a name like Cornflower Blue (that is one of them, right?)

Oh, I'm so excited about this story! I want the next part next week, for sure! It's going to be fun to see their hike!

I'm glad you have this blog! It's so nice to be able to come over here and read the new story as well as the old ones.

Rebekah said...

Thanks. I just decided I needed something without snow. And this one was actually the first one I looked at. :)
Absolutely! Someone has actually picked Cornflower for their pen name.
Well, the hike didn't turn out as I had expected it to, but hopefully you like it. :D

Dorcas Joy said...

Looking forward to finding out!!

Unknown said...

I finally got time today to go right back and read this story from the beginning, and I LOVE it!!! I hope you'll publish it when it's finished <3 I definitely want to see more of it next week :D
Also, that hike sounds amazing *heart eyes at the thought of the sunrise*
Oh, and I should try that trick of sleeping some time! I tend to take quite a long time to fall asleep, especially if I have plot ideas going round my head... ;P

Lydia Coral W said...

Sorry, forgot to set it to publish with my name! XD It's me, Lydia :D

Rebekah said...

Wow, Lydia, I didn't know anyone would like this story enough to want it published. :D I want to go watch the sunrise on a mountain.
Plot ideas don't make it easy to go to sleep, but that little trick has helped me multiple times. It makes your eyes really tired. ;) Hopefully it will work for you.
Thanks for commenting.