Background

Friday, January 1, 2021

Beyond C – Part 1

 Happy New Year!

I don't usually get to say that on the first day of the New Year, so make the most of it.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I did. We celebrated on Christmas Eve day with my brother and his family, and then on Christmas Day with just my family. Both times were enjoyable. The first was more noisy and busy. (Eight kiddos to keep things lively.)

Have you made New Year's resolutions or plans, or anything? Found any reading challenges you want to do? Or writing challenges? I have. I don't usually make resolutions, but I do often try to write down some of the things I'd like to work on this year. And yes, I do have a reading challenge that I'm going to do. My own. ;) You can find the list on Read Another Page, but there will be a blog post all about it on the 12th. There are other reading challenges going around, but I realized that I really needed to focus more on writing this year, so I am only planning on doing mine, and my "read 1 non-fiction book a month" challenge. You are welcome to join me on that one too.

As far as writing goes, I have all sorts of stories that I'd like to write this year. Some are started, others are not. The King's Daughters' Writing Camp is hosting their first "mini camp" at the end of this month. I am looking forward to seeing what I can get done in a week of focused writing. Want to join us?

How's your weather? Right now it's raining and freezing. Things are covered with ice since it did this all night. I'm glad we don't have to go anywhere today. Of course I'd rather have snow, but . . .

Today is the start of a story that will last through all of January. Originally, it was going to be a story titled "Beyond the Border" for a writing challenge some friends and I were doing where we'd all writing a short story with the same title. But this story ended up longer, so I changed the title. I hope you enjoy it.

 

Beyond Comfort
Part 1


    Standing at the stove, I stirred the bubbling spaghetti sauce and smiled as the sound of childish voices drifted in through the screen door. My husband’s deep laugh and the high pitched squeal of Jinan told me I was missing out on the fun. But supper wouldn’t fix itself. And this was Jinan’s favorite meal.
    I switched spoons and stirred the long, thin noodles boiling away in another pot. They were almost done. Opening the oven door a bit, I sniffed the aroma of garlic and butter.
    After another stir to both pots, I hurried to the door and called out, “Supper is almost ready! Come and wash up.”
    Six-year-old Jinan gave another squeal and dragged her feet as her daddy slowed her swing down. Her black pigtails bounced as she raced toward the house with Jayson running after and Jillian staggering along on stout little legs.
    A smile spread across my face as I hurried back to the stove to drain the noodles and get the bread out of the oven. Who would have thought that ten years ago life would change so drastically for me? But I’m so thankful it did.


*


    “You’re going where?” Emily’s eyes were as wide as they could be, and she stared at her best friend.
    “China.” Jessica settled herself cross-legged on the floor of Emily’s room and grinned.
    “Alone?”
    At that, Jessica laughed. “No. You know the Summer Camp I attended as a counselor last year? Well, I’ve stayed in contact with several of the people, and there’s a group from there going for two weeks to work in an orphanage for special needs children. I was asked if I wanted to go along and–” she shrugged. “I’m going.”
    “To China. Do you even know anything about special needs children?” Emily looked skeptical.
    “Not really, except that they are children who God created and loves too. I was told we’d probably get to do some sight seeing and maybe visit a state run orphanage. But we’ll mostly be working with the children in the home.” Leaning back against the wall, Jessica looked at her best friend. “I can’t believe I’m going. I mean, I’ve never been out of the country before, and now I’m going way beyond the borders of everything I know.” Her eyes drifted to the window, and she added in a lower voice, “New language, new culture, new foods, new people, . . .” Her voice trailed away.
    Emily scooted a little closer and placed a hand on Jessica’s knee. “But not a new God. He’ll always be beyond any border you cross, Jess.”
    Drawing a long breath, Jessica nodded. “Thanks, Em, I needed that reminder. I was getting a little anxious. I just can’t believe I’m going.”
    “You can’t believe it? I’m the one who can’t believe you’re going! You, who said you wouldn’t even go with me to Canada, are now going across the Pacific ocean.”


*


    Jessica shuffled along in the long line and tried to take deep breaths of the hot humid air, but each breath brought strange and somewhat unpleasant smells to her. Her shirt stuck to her back, and she wiped her sweaty palms on her skirt before picking up her suitcase again. Her shoulder ached from the heavy online bag she still carried, and she knew she was going to have at least a few blood-blisters. Would the entire two weeks in China be this miserable?
    “Can I carry your bag for you, Jessica?”
    Jessica glanced behind her–and up. It was one of her fellow mission partners. They’d only had a short time to introduce themselves in the large group, and Jessica didn’t remember the guy’s name, but he was tall. “If you want. It’s rather heavy.” She slid the strap off her shoulder and couldn’t keep back a sigh at the relief. “Thanks.”
    “Sure. Don’t worry, it won’t be quite this hot and miserable once we arrive since we’ll be out of the city. There’s our bus.”
    The line moved forward, and the teenagers and their chaperones boarded the bus. This was almost worse than waiting in the airport, for the streets were thronged with cars, buses, bicycles, and people. Tall buildings towered overhead, and Jessica longed for a fresh breeze and green grass. She was thankful that she didn’t get carsick very easily or the ride would have been miserable.

    The trip was over at last and everyone climbed stiffly off the bus. Jessica felt dazed and lightheaded. She never could remember the rest of that day. The next was a blur as well. But then the teens settled into working and playing with the children. Though she couldn’t understand Chinese, and most of the children didn’t understand English very well, Jessica found a way to communicate with smiles and laughs.
    She held babies, changed diapers, played outside with children, blew bubbles, colored pictures, and even picked up a few words of Chinese before the end of the first week.
    In the second week the group took a little break and one day did a bit of sight seeing before returning to the guest house where they were staying.
    “Before you all go off to your rooms,” Mrs. Kelly called, as everyone was preparing to scatter for the night, “I wanted to let you all know about tomorrow.”
    Jessica turned around and looked at Mrs. Kelly. To her surprise, Jessica didn’t want another day of sight seeing. She wanted to return to the babies and children who were quickly stealing her heart.
    “Tomorrow there is an opportunity for five of you to travel to a state run orphanage in the next city with two of the medical staff from the orphanage we’ve been helping. If any of you want to go, please let me know tonight.”
    Jessica paused. Did she want to go? She’d miss more time with the children she knew, but should she go? Something tugged at her heart and almost before she realized it, she was walking toward Mrs. Kelly.

    “If you don’t have five already,” she said softly, “I’ll go.”
     Mrs. Kelly looked at her and smiled. “I needed one more.” 

Are you joining any reading or writing challenge?
Have you ever been outside your country for a missions trip?
How is your weather this first day of the New Year?

6 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm excited for this new story!! :)
A couple of my New Year's resolutions: write every day in my journal, jog three to four times a week, and read at least 50 books. :) Our weather is cloudy and cold, and we got snow on Christmas, which was fun. :D

Rebekah said...

I hope you enjoy the rest of this story, Ellen.
Those are great resolutions.
Our freezing rain has now turned to snow and it's so pretty outside.

Katja L. said...

I already love this beginning!

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Katja. :)

Leona said...

No, I don't have any reading or writing challenges. One of my goals for this year is to publish the second Leland Family book. I also want to learn more about music theory.
I did go outside of my country for a missions trip when I was young, but I don't remember much of that. (At least I think it was considered a missions trip... we passed out tracts at a worldwide event.) I would love to go on a missions trip again! And I think I'm going to love this story. :)
The weather here yesterday was cold, and we have snow! :D We went sledding several days ago; the top of the hill was slightly brown (from the ground showing through the snow), but it was fun anyway. :)

Rebekah said...

If you want to join my reading challenge, you're welcome to. Those are some great goals.
I've never been outside the country for a missions trip.
Oh, fun! I like sledding though we don't have any good hills near us any more. I went outside and spent some time with my BF in the snow yesterday.
Thanks for sharing, Leona.