Background

Friday, October 2, 2020

Double Feature

 Good morning readers!

It's cold here this morning. 39º. Goodbye chiggers! The trees are really starting to turn now, and I'm thinking of sweaters, cozy sweatshirts, fires and s'mores, blankets, hot drinks, and good books. :)

This week was my first week back at work. I wasn't supposed to start until next week, but I got called and asked if I could come in a week early. This week I only worked 4 hours a day Mon–Thurs, but next week I'll go in at 9 and will work until 4:30. Lots of filing and getting people voted or registered. It's fun, but this week has felt long for me. Perhaps next week will go by faster.

On another note, Camp started! Well, we opened camp. This is the second KDWC (King's Daughters' Writing Camp) and we already have over 50 campers attending!

I got the proof copies for "Lake Wood," "Saving Miss Christmas," and "What Tommy Didn't Know." I can't wait to get them edited, and published so you all can read them!

Today I'm giving you two stories. One is especially for younger siblings. Can you guess which one? ;)

 

Mary was a Little Lamb


    Jane was lonely. This was the third day she had spent at Grandma and Grandpa’s, and now she was by herself. Grandpa was working on something in his study, and Grandma and Aunt Mercy were busy with some writing class that was coming up. Poor little Jane. Though she was only four, she had kept a smile on her face until she was outside. Now, however, her chin quivered and her lips trembled. Her big, bright blue eyes filled with tears. What could she do now that no one could play with her?
    For several minutes she sat and cried softly. Not only was she lonely, she missed her Mommy and Daddy who had gone on a trip. If only she had someone or something to play with. Her sad thoughts were interrupted by a bleat.
    Shaking back the mass of red curls which fell about her tear-stained face and clustered on her neck, Jane wiped away the tears and looked up. The nearby rail fence was before her, but it was the ebony creature lying down, silhouetted against the lush summer grass growing behind the fence which caught her eye.
    Skipping over to the fence Jane peered between the rails. Another bleat came from the black form and it stood up on wobbly legs. Jane gave an involuntary giggle, and the lamb, for so it was, turned to look at her. For several moments the young creatures gazed at each other in the bright sunshine while above their heads in the azure sky, small cream puffs of clouds danced and skipped in the breeze as though inviting the pair below to join them.
    The lamb seemed to accept the invitation for it gave a little skip on its slender legs. Jane giggled. The lamb came closer making friendly little noises. In an instant Jane had climbed the rough rail fence and stood looking at the lamb. A smile wreathed her tear-stained face. Here was a friend who could play with her! This lamb didn’t need to study or write and it certainly didn’t need to go on any trips. Reaching out a gentle hand, Jane stroked the woolly head. The lamb on its part nuzzled Jane’s skirt.
    “Okay, little lamb,” Jane told it, “let’s play tag.” With a laugh Jane turned and danced away calling over her shoulder, “You’re it.”
    Joyfully the lamb frolicked after Jane and butted her softly.
    “Now I’m it! You have to run!”
    And so the game continued, sometimes Jane chasing the lamb but more often than not, the lamb following Jane. At last both were worn out, and Jane sank to the grass to catch her breath. The lamb stood in front of her while Jane patted its dark coat. So intent were Jane and the lamb with each other, neither one noticed Grandma coming over with the camera.
    “Are you having fun, Jane?”
    Jane looked up and grinned. “Oh, Grandma! Mary can play tag with me! We love each other, don’t we?” Jane pulled the small thing close to her and kissed its nose. “Now I won’t ever be lonely again,” she added with a whisper in the little charcoal ear.
    “Baa” answered the lamb and folding its legs up, laid its woolly head in Jane’s lap and closed its eyes.
 

 

Two Dollars and a Knife

 Dear Michael,
    I have to tell you what happened on the 4th! When my family arrived at Grandpa’s, everyone else was already there dressed in colonial outfits like usual for the 4th. After greeting everyone, I wondered off towards the woods. I hadn’t gotten far when I noticed something on a tree several yards ahead. Drawing closer, I noticed two $1.00 bills pinned to the tree with a knife! I thought, “Grandpa doesn’t usually leave money on trees. Why is it here?” Thinking perhaps it was Dad’s or one of the uncles knifes, I ran to see. Nope, each still had their knife. Puzzled, I stood staring out the kitchen window. So lost in thought was I that I started when Grandpa dropped his hand on my shoulder asking, “What’re you up to Patrick?”
    “I’m. . . Grandpa, did you stick $2.00 on a tree with a knife?” I blurted the question out quickly. Grandpa looked astonished but shook his head suggesting I go look again to find out more. Needing no urging, I rushed outside, leapt off the porch and raced to the tree. Everything looked the same. As I closely examined the money and knife, I began to feel as though I was being watched! Slowly I turned my head, eyes scanning the trees and bushes. A sudden sneeze, whirled me around to see an older man.
    “Your last name Henry?” the man asked
    “Yes, sir.”
    “Take that knife and money to your grandfather. See what he says.”

    After another quick glance at the man, I obeyed. Hurrying as quickly as it was safe to, I reached the kitchen and opening the door called, “Grandpa! Where are you?”
    “Here.” His voice sounded from the living room.
    Stepping quickly in, I laid the knife and money in Grandpa’s lap. All was silent. Grandpa stared. His expression changing from bewilderment to disbelief and delight. Standing up suddenly, he exclaimed,
    “Corporal Klesingharper! Where is he?”
    Grandpa limped quickly to the back porch.
    “Klesingharper!” Grandpa’s shout brought everyone including the man I had seen. At sight of him, knife and money dropped from Grandpa’s hands as he started for the stairs. I hurried to his side knowing he wasn’t very good on steps. His hand trembled on my shoulder as we slowly descended the last step. Across the lawn, we met the stranger. After a long embrace, Grandpa, his voice chocked with emotion invited him in. So, together we walked back to the porch where the family all waited.
    To make a long story short. Grandpa and Corporal Klesingharper both fought on Guadalcanal in ‘42. They were great friends. Once Grandpa lent Corporal Klesingharper $2.00. He promising to repay him. Klesingharper became seriously injured and just before he was sent back to the States, Grandpa gave him his knife. They hadn’t seen or heard from each other since that time until the 4th. It was quite thrilling listening to their talk about Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands.
                    Your Cousin,
                        Patrick

Which story did you enjoy most?
Was your week long or short?
Are you experiencing cooler fall weather?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fall makes me think of all those things as well. I like both stories, but the $2.00 and a Knife story was particularly moving. Great job! I'd love it if you wrote a book about Sarhgeant Klesingharper and Patricks' grandfather in Guadalcanal, and their reunion on the 4th of July. Thanks again for the stories!

Rebekah said...

That might make an interesting story. I haven't really thought of this story in years until I decided to share it again.
Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

Sure! :) Happy Fall!