Background

Friday, January 10, 2020

What T Didn't Know - Part 3

Happy January, Faithful Friday Fiction Fans,

January. I always think of winter, cold, snow, cleaning things out, organizing, reading, and getting to those projects that I was too busy to get to in November and December.
Well, I've been organizing and cleaning out, and getting to projects, but no cold, snow, or winter really. This week has been really nice with a high in or near the low 60s almost all week! You would think it was March or something. Tomorrow it's supposed to be cold and snow. And have freezing rain. Thanks, but I'd rather just have snow.

I won't be teaching writing classes this semester since most of my students couldn't do it for one reason or another. So we decided to just take a break. I haven't had a break from teaching for years, so I'm excited! I will be doing some online writing coaching. If anyone is interested let me know. I'm only taking a limited number. We'd work on whatever you felt you needed to work on.

And guess what? I've been writing! After over a month of not writing, I'm having so much fun getting back to it! So far I've written over 4,800 words just this week. My goal is 5k. :) I should be able to reach and pass that goal. So far I've worked mostly on my "Secret Project" and then a little on a "Ria and the Gang" story. I had been stuck on it last year, but it's moving again now.

All right, I won't keep you longer since you might want to find out what happens to Tommy next.


What T Didn’t Know
Part 3
    At that Tommy stared at the face above him. “Wellington Avenue. It ain’t much of a place, but it’s mine. An’ Diego’s.”
    “Home is home no matter how small, right? Ah, here is Nurse Wilson with your milk. Let’s see how you do sitting up just a bit. Don’t move yourself, Tommy, let me lift you.”
    Tommy did as he was told and leaned against the doctor’s strong arms as his head and shoulders were raised a small bit and Nurse Wilson settled the pillows behind him. He took the cup of milk with a shaky hand, and only the doctor’s own steady hand kept the milk from spilling over the side. Eagerly Tommy drank his milk, a rare treat for him.
    When the glass was empty, Tommy’s right arm dropped beside him as though it weighed twice as much. He stared down at it in bewilderment. His arm couldn’t be tired already! He’d only held a glass of milk.
    “Don’t worry, son,” Dr. Hall said, as though reading his thoughts, “your arm will regain its strength. It will just take time.”
    Time. Tommy’s eyes widened, and he tried to sit up but was pushed back onto the pillows by the doctor.
    “None of that, Tommy. You can’t expect to get back on your feet all at once after the injuries you received. Now just relax.”
    Tommy felt the hands still on his shoulders, but he shook his head. “I can’t. I gotta get up, sir. Please,” he begged.
    But the doctor, keeping one hand on his shoulder, shook his head and sat down beside the bed. “You aren’t fit to be up yet, Tommy. You couldn’t even make it out of this room on your own.”
    “But I gotta!”
    Dr. Hall placed his fingers on Tommy’s pulse a moment, and then said, his voice low and steady, “Tommy, I promise you someone will go look for your dog, and–”
    “It ain’t Diego. It’s the Times.”
    It was the doctor’s turn to look puzzled. “The Jefferson Times?”
    “Yes, sir. I deliver papers. Got my own paper route an’ then sell ‘em on my own corner. Oh, someone else’ll take my route an’ my corner!” He closed his eyes. Why did it have to be him lying injured in luxury while his whole livelihood was pulled out from under him? How would he take care of his dog? Who would watch Sassy and young Mike when Mrs. McGuire had to work late? And who would keep the Schlindler boys from terrorizing each other and any animals with snowballs? Who would fetch the groceries home for old widow Hernandez, or shovel snow? It was just too much. A tear rolled down his cheek and he drew a quivering breath.
    “Tommy,” Dr. Hall said.
    But Tommy didn’t open his eyes. He knew more tears would escape if he did, and he was too old to cry.
    “Tommy, I want you to swallow this for me, and then rest.”
    Keeping his eyes shut tightly, Tommy opened his mouth and swallowed the spoonful of medicine.
    “Do you live on the east side of town, Tommy?”
    Tommy gave a faint nod. It no longer mattered where he lived. Diego was probably dead from cold or had found a new home. He lay still and heard the doctor and nurse talking.
    “I want the boy’s cap, Nellie, if it hasn’t been washed.”
    “It hasn’t. I was going to throw it away when I washed everything else, but I didn’t. But, Daniel, what on earth are you going to do with a bloody cap?”
    “Going to see if I can find Diego.”
    Nurse Wilson sighed. “Really, Daniel, you are impossible. Isn’t one boy enough without adding a dirty dog?”
    The doctor laughed softly. “Surely you know me better than that, Nellie. After all, I am your baby brother. Keep an eye on Tommy for me, won’t you?”

*

    It was late in the afternoon. Tommy had been awake for a short time earlier, but only Nurse Wilson had been around. She had fed him like he was a baby and then had told him to go back to sleep. This Tommy had obediently done, for he was too upset to stay awake and think over all the hardships that had come his way.
    But now he couldn’t sleep. Nurse Wilson wasn’t in the room, and Tommy was alone with his thoughts. If he lost his job, he wouldn’t be able to keep Diego, who was his one confidant and friend. Diego never laughed at him or argued. And it was Diego who comforted him when he was feeling lonely or sad. What would he do without Diego?
    As he lay staring at the mirror with its gilded frame, his thoughts jumped to his accident. What had happened? He had no memories of anything. Had the doctor said he was found in an alley? Tommy squinted as he tried to remember. Yes, an alley near 6th and Elm. What was he doing over there? He didn’t live near that part of town, nor did his paper route take him in that direction. He couldn’t have gotten lost.
    Wearily he rubbed his uninjured hand over his eyes and brushed the bandage on his head. He winced.
    “I don’t like bein’ sick in bed,” he muttered. “I can’t think here.”
    “What was that?” Dr. Hall’s cheery voice came from the doorway.
    Tommy glanced over at him and then turned back to stare at the wall. “Nothin’.”
    The doctor crossed the room and looked down at him. “Feeling a little blue? How would you like a friend to cheer you up?”
    “Don’t got any.”
    “Oh, I don’t know about that. Shall I let her in or tell her you aren’t up for visitors?”
    At that Tommy’s eyes met the merry brown ones above him. “Who is it?”
    “Mrs. Hernandez.”
    Tommy lifted his head, but the doctor’s hand on his shoulder kept him from trying to sit up. “Mrs. Hernandez? But she– Sure I’d like to see her fine. But–”

Have you gotten any snow this new year?
What do you think of when you think of January?
What do you think happened to Tommy?

4 comments:

Katja L. said...

I’m really enjoying this story!

Rebekah said...

Good! :D

Leona said...

I think Tommy was beaten up for some reason, maybe by the Schlindler boys. But I'm not sure. :)

Rebekah said...

Not a bad guess. :) But I won't tell you if you're right or not. You'll have to keep reading ;)