Background

Friday, September 27, 2019

He Answered My Prayers – Part 2

Hello, Readers,
I don't know about you, but this week has been CRAZY! But I'm loving the days of coolness! We have had hot and humid, but only a few really warm days. Yesterday it was still 59º after 8 in the morning! Perfect to go out and walk.

Monday– I felt like I was trying not to drown in projects! I had so many things that needed worked on, and it was hard to know which had the greatest priority. And that evening I wrote 2,448 words to get the first draft of the second Christmas play written.

Tuesday– I taught classes all morning, graded papers in the afternoon, and then worked on the Christmas play again. I started formatting it.

Wednesday– Formatting the play was top priority, and I had to do some editing to add another character who had just let me know they wanted in. (Well, I knew he wanted to be in, but his parents hadn't said yes or no yet.) Then I proof listened to some chapters of "His Law is Love" audio. In the afternoon I joined my best friends (one is down from Canada!) in running errands, and then finished proof listening to "HLiL. I was supposed to work in the nursery that night, but was needed in Cubbies instead.

Thursday– Preparing for writing classes, working on turning regular music into the special music that could be colored that we use for bells. There was a glitch in the FFF and that had to be ironed out, then I did some editing of a new short story, and replied to some emails that had been waiting.

What's going on today? Cleaning house, putting some things away, hopefully working on blog posts and this and that. I might end up mowing this evening.

Life. Business. But things are getting done. I have to remind myself that God is my strength and my wisdom. Even when things are chaos and everything feels like it needs done NOW, I can still have peace and joy as I go in His strength. I sure can't do it in my own!

And now the next part of this story. And don't forget the FFF starts on Monday!

He Answered My Prayers
Part 2

    A hearty laugh filled the living room and bounced off the large oak beams overhead. “You recognized me sooner than Uncle Garrett did, Auntie!” And he kissed her again. “I’m delighted, for it has been over ten years.”
    Stepping back, Lacey looked the young man up and down. “Well,” she said at last, “you do look like your mother, though you have your father’s nose. I always told Elsie you would have been the spitting image of your grandfather if you had the Redhead nose.” She shook her head. “What are you doing here? Where are your folks?”
    “I came for a visit. Wanted to surprise you. My folks are up in Canada with the boys. You’ll let me stay won’t you?”
    “Of course. Though I haven’t aired out the guest room in a week because of the weather, and the bed’s not made up. I couldn’t see the need of keeping the bed made up only to have to air it when company came. You’ll have to open a vent in that room since we never use it. Garrett, help him get his things up to the room. I have to check my rolls.” With that, she turned abruptly and hurried away.
    But once alone in the kitchen, she wiped a stray tear off her cheek. She had one older sister who had gotten married many years ago and had left the area. Her visits home afterwards were always short, and gradually, after their parents death, they had ceased all together. Charlie had only been a boy of eleven when he had come with his parents and younger brothers the last time. He had begged to stay for an extra week and, after much pleading, had succeeded in having his wish granted. That week had been one of immense delight to both Lacey and Garrett, and they had asked Elsie to let him come visit them again. But somehow the years had slipped by and nothing ever came of the promised visits.
    “Something sure smells good in here, Aunt Lacey!”
    Lacey turned quickly. “Supper will be ready soon. Did you wash up?”
    “Yes, ma’am.” There was a grin on Charlie’s face. “Should I set the table or make my bed?”
    Miss Lacey eyed him skeptically. “Can you do either?”
    “Why certainly! I made my own bed in college, and set the table.”
    The two bowls were handed over, and Lacey said, “You’ll have to get another bowl out of the cabinet there,” and she pointed “since I didn’t know you were coming. You’ll need plates for the rolls too.” She stirred the soup and then opened the oven door.
    With Charlie setting the table, it didn’t take much longer before supper was ready.
    The table looked small in the large room. All its extra leaves had been taken out and stored away, and one side had been let down, allowing more space in the dining room though it wasn’t really needed. Charlie had spread a tablecloth, carefully set the dishes and napkins, helped carry the serving dishes to the table, and then waited behind his chair.
    “Garrett!” Lacey called down the small hall. “Supper is ready.”
    When everyone was seated at the table, Charlie looked from his aunt to his uncle and then back again. “May I ask the blessing this time?”
    Lacey was somewhat startled but took hold of her brother’s hand and reached across the table to have her hand clasped warmly by her nephew. With her head bowed, she listened to a prayer of thanks such as she hadn’t heard in years. The letter came back to her mind.
    “Oh, Aunt Lacey!” Charlie exclaimed after the prayer as he watched her fill his bowl with the steaming soup. “How did you know I love chicken noodle soup?”
    “Humph. I didn’t.” She handed him the bowl and filled one for her brother before filling her own. “Go ahead and eat. Here Garret, start the rolls around.”
    The smell of the savory chicken soup, and the yeasty scent of the rolls mingled with a slightly sweet smell of the pies that had been baked earlier. No one spoke for some time as each concentrated on their meal.
    “Aunt Lacey, Mom’s cooking can’t hold a candle to yours! That soup–”
    “Would you like more?”
    “Yes, please!”
    Instead of serving it herself, Lacey passed the soup tureen over. “There’s more in the kitchen if that runs out.” Suddenly she shoved back her chair and marched to the windows and drew the curtains closed. “This weather makes the darkness settle down faster.”
    “Why do you need to shut the curtains? You don’t have any neighbors do you?” Charlie cut a noodle and then raised his spoon to his lips.
    “No, we don’t have neighbors, thank goodness, but the hiking trail in the state park has had many people out on it today in spite of the weather. With it this dark out, they could be standing there watching us eat!” She shook her head grimly before tearing a piece of her roll off and eating it.
    “There’s a trail just out there?” Charlie looked interested. “Have you ever walked it?”
    “No, we haven’t.” Garret spoke up for the first time. Reaching for another roll, he added, “But we should try it one of these days and see where it goes.”
    “Tomorrow?” Charlie looked eager.
    Miss Lacey didn’t answer the question. “There’s pie in the kitchen if anyone wants it.”
    “Pie too? Really, Aunt Lacey, a fellow could get used to this cooking in a hurry!” Charlie patted his stomach. “I’ll have to walk on that trail just so I have enough room to keep eating.” His smile was bright.
    Leaning back in his chair, Garrett nodded. “I think I’ll give my dinner a little time to settle and will have my pie in the living room before the fire.”
    This was exactly what Lacey had expected and nodded. During the cooler months Garrett always ate his dessert in the living room before the fire. In the summer he ate them out doors on the porch. He was as regular as clockwork about it. Rising, she glanced about the table. The soup tureen was empty, and there were only a few rolls left in the basket. “Go get a fire started. I’ll get the dishes done up.”
    “Let me help with the dishes,” Charlie offered. “I bused tables and washed thousands of dishes in college. Please.”

Do you like clearing off tables?
Do you think you'd like to eat at Aunt Lacey's table?
Are you planning on coming to the FFF next week?

8 comments:

Leona said...

I wouldn't say that I like clearing off tables, exactly, although it isn't the worst chore! Yes, I would love to eat at Aunt Lacey's table! And yes, I am looking forward to the FFF!! :)

Rebekah said...

I don't mind clearing off tables. And yes, let's go visit Aunt Lacey. ;)
Five Fall Favorites is coming right up!!!! :D

Ryana Lynn said...

Can't wait to see where this leads! I love clearing the table, but I don't mind washing dishes either. And Aunt Lacey's cooking makes me think of my sister! Can't wait till Monday ;)

Rebekah said...

I'd actually rather wash dishes than rinse them. Not sure why.
Yes, excited about Monday!

Katja L. said...

I’m really enjoying this story!! The food is all so yummy! AND I AM SO EXCITED FOR FFF. xD

Rebekah said...

I'll admit I was getting a bit hungry while writing this. ;)
Glad you are enjoying the story.
And yes! FFF! :D

Kassie said...

This was enough to make me hungry!! We always eat our dessert afterward in the living room! XD I don’t mind setting the table, but leftover food is one of the few things that makes me squeamish so clearing it off isn’t my favorite, although I don’t mind drying the dishes, so long as we’re listening to music!! DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!!

Rebekah said...

That's interesting. So, if we all got together we wouldn't all want to do the same thing. ;)
Yes, day after tomorrow! Wow! That's coming right up! :D