Background

Friday, July 13, 2018

Missing: One Junior Ranger - Part 4

Good morning, Me!
Oh, hi! Nice to see you. How's your week been?
Rather crazy! And it's not over yet! Here's quick look.

Saturday – Morning I went out door knocking/lit dropping with some friends for my brother's campaign. It was a beautiful morning! It did get warm though. Afternoon I built a water rocket. Later afternoon/evening we picked up all 7 of my nieces and nephews and headed to the home of a family from church who were hosting a large 4th of July party. (Only it was on the 7th.) It was so much fun! They live out in the country and have a great big, flat yard where you can see everyone. There was a play set for the little kids, volley ball net, plenty of room to run, and a baseball diamond. The night ended with a wonderful display of fireworks. (I didn't get to bed until almost midnight.)
Sunday – Normal things except that my sis and I had to stay and practice music a little afterwards. I spend most of the afternoon reading after I took a nap.
Monday – Everything I did seemed to be in slow motion because I was so tired. Got writing in.
Tuesday – I had a student come in the morning for class. Got other things done including writing.
Wednesday – My nieces and nephews came over later morning so we could practice "Hurray for Newsy Jones." (They wanted to do it as a play again for my grandma's 90th birthday.) That was fun but kind of crazy. I don't know how the play will go. :) I was able to get 1k written late afternoon which was good because I worked nursery that night at church.
Thursday – Spend the day trying to get as much done as I could. I had emails to send, things to put away, chapters to check, and more. Then three nephews came over around 4:30 and stayed until almost 9.
Friday – That's today. I'm going to see what else I can get done because this evening another set of kids is coming over. Busters is going to be here again, and the girls this time. Not sure if any of the boys will come or not. 
Saturday – Is the big day! My grandparents are coming down with my aunt, we're eating lunch all together with my brother and his family, doing the play, and hanging out together. Oh, yes. And eating ice cream cake. It'll be a crazy busy day. I hope I can get some writing in.

Wow! Sounds busy. I don't know how you manage to get any writing done!
Me either, actually. But I've talked enough. I have other things I need to do. Thanks for letting me chatter since I think my usual readers are on vacation or busy with Camp NaNo.
No problem.

Missing: One Junior Ranger
Part 4

    The fire crackled brightly as it danced along the wood Don and Timmy had heaped up. Sitting around the blaze, the Junior Rangers talked and sang, laughed at jokes, and planned a fishing trip for next week. Into a lull in the chatter Tessie said, “I wish Sharon had been able to come. She said she’d never been camping before.”
    “We’ll just have to do it again when she can come,” Don said in his easy manner, breaking a small stick and tossing it into the flames.
    Silence fell over the small group of campers sitting around the fire. Above them the stars sparkled, and a large moon rose above the trees. Angie shifted and wrapped her arms around her knees. “I have a funny feeling,” she began.
    “Should we laugh?” Timmy joked from across the circle.
    But Angie didn’t smile. “I keep think about Sharon. Maybe we should have tried to find out if she was coming.”
    “How?” Tessie asked while the boys all looked at Angie. “We don’t have a phone at the fort.”
    “I know. I guess we could have asked Sam on the radio to call the Donaldsons.” Turning to Don, she asked, “Could we do that now?”
    Quickly Don glanced down at his watch in the glow of the firelight. “It’s too late. Most likely she forgot about the trip–”
    “Not Sharon!” Tessie and Angie exclaimed at once.
    “She did sound excited about it,” Timmy put in while Bob and Grant nodded their agreement.
    “Well, maybe something came up at the last minute and she had to go somewhere with her aunt.” Don gave a half shrug. “There’s nothing we can do now. Let’s get some sleep. We’ll find out in the morning where she is. We could even stop by the Donaldson place on the way back to Little Falls.”
    There really was nothing else to do, and the group settled down around the fire in their sleeping bags under the stars.

*

    Crack. Rustle. Crack.
    The sound roused Sharon from a light slumber, and she gripped the branch she had been leaning on and held her breath. What was that sound? As she strained her ears in the stillness, she couldn’t hear anything but the pounding of her own heart and the distant sound of water,. Everything was dark. The leafy branches overhead blocked out the friendly stars, and even the moon was only a faint glow.
    Another twig snapped somewhere in the forest, and Sharon gasped. Her body grew rigid. Something was out there.
    A tree rustled its leaves softly, and Sharon began to tremble. Drawing up her feet which had been hanging over the branch, she was thankful for the two branches that formed a sort of chair. With one arm wrapped around the higher branch, she hugged her knees close to her with the other and waited.
    Silence.
    At last her breathing grew steadier and her racing heart slowed.
    “Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not.” It seemed as though Sharon could hear her uncle’s voice as he had read the verse. Had it really been that morning? To her weary and taut nerves, it felt like days ago.
    “Be strong, fear not,” she whispered to herself, trying to relax. “What was that verse about the lion and the ravenous beast not being there?” She couldn’t remember. “Please, dear Jesus,” she prayed, “don’t let anything come and hurt me. And please let someone find me in the morning. Help me not to be afraid.”
    Some leaves rustled, then a twig almost under Sharon’s tree, snapped.
    She screamed.

*

    The late morning was just as beautiful as it had been the day before. In the Ranger Station, Sam rose from his desk and stepped over to pour himself another cup of coffee. It was nearly eleven, but Sam wouldn’t take a lunch break until his assistant arrived.
    When the front door opened, the chief ranger looked over his shoulder and grinned as his younger brother and some of the Junior Rangers came in. “Hi,” he greeted them. “How was the campout?”
    “It was great,” Don said. “We’re planning a fishing trip next week.”
    “Fine. Oh, Angie,” Ranger Sam said, looking past his brother to the girl, “Sharon is supposed to go home with you for a few days while her aunt is visiting a sick sister and her uncle is out of town.”
    “All right. Is she waiting at their house?”
    A puzzled frown crossed Sam’s face. “No, her aunt said she was camping with all of you.”
    The Junior Rangers exchanged worried looks.
    “What’s wrong, Don?” Sam asked.
    “Sharon never joined us at the fort yesterday, Sam. We thought she just couldn’t make it and left a note for her.”
    “Hey,” Grant exclaimed excitedly, “I’ll bet she just stayed at the fort. She probably came after we had gone, didn’t know how to find us, and decided to spend the night there.”
    “Then why didn’t she radio you?” Sam looked from one face to another.

Do you ever get funny feelings about something?
How was your week?
Do you want the next part of this story?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm enjoying this story! I'm in suspense every week XD

Rebekah said...

Thanks for commenting, Amy. It's nice to know someone is enjoying this story. :)

Anonymous said...

Lol. I love the "funny feeling" sentence. xD Looking forwards to the next part!!
~Katja L.

Rebekah said...

:) Thanks, Katja! Why do we call it a "funny feeling" when there is usually nothing "funny" about it? ;)