Background

Friday, December 4, 2009

A Christmas Story Part 1

Well, today is the day, Friday, December 4, 2009. Mom and I leave to in about an hour to pick up the Cass girls. Today we might get a little decorating done, but this afternoon we pick out our Christmas tree, cut it, and bring it home. And tomorrow is the official decorating day here at the Morris home. The Casses have come down to help us decorate every year since J & M got married. It is always so much fun and it looks beautiful afterwards. :)

The story is part one of a Christmas story I wrote last year. I would like to write another Christmas story this year, but we'll see if I have time. Anyway, I should go ahead a post it so that I can get a few other things done before I have to leave. Enjoy the story!



A Christmas Story

It was the Christmas I was eight. I remember it as clearly as though it were last week. We lived in a quiet neighborhood with mostly older people and a few young married couples. We weren’t rich as some people might think, but we weren’t poor either. My four sisters and I were the only children around. That is until that Christmas. I was the one who found them.

I had been out for a tramp with Sir Prince, our big collie dog. Mom and Dad let me wander the neighborhood if Sir Prince was with me. I didn’t get into mischief, and I suppose it was a way for Mom to get me out from under foot. Being the only boy was a little hard at times.

That fall I was able to earn some spending money by raking leaves for people and sweeping their sidewalks. But I had spent most of the money already on Christmas gifts for the family and neighbors. I was hoping it would snow that day that I saw them. I thought if it would snow I could shovel it like Dad does sometimes. I had helped him last year and knew how to do it.

Anyway, I was on the other side of the street about five houses down from ours. The road winds around, and so you can’t see this house from ours, otherwise I might have noticed earlier that they were there.

It was an old house. No one had lived in it for as long as I could remember. The neighbors took turns mowing the yard and trimming the bushes to keep it looking nice, but that was it. I used to wonder what it looked like inside and if anyone would ever live in it. Well, that day as Sir Prince and I were running down the sidewalk, we came to a sudden halt, for there were two boys out in the yard of the empty house. They looked about my age. I couldn’t tell if they were twins or not; they were different sizes and one had darker hair than the other. They weren’t really doing anything just kind of walking around and looking. With Sir Prince beside me I came closer. The boys stopped, and we looked at one another.
“Hi,” I said. I didn’t know what else to say.
“Hi,” was the reply. Then we were silent again.
I tried again. “Where do you live?”
“Here.”
“Here? Did you just move in?”
Two heads nodded.
“But I didn’t see you yesterday, and I walked by then.”
“We just moved today,” was the answer.
“Oh.” Another pause then I remembered that I ought to introduce myself. “I’m Richard Harlen Philipson, but most people call me Dick or Rich.”
“I’m Jonathan Stuart Lee,” replied the taller of the boys. “You can call me Jon. And this is Jackson Forest Lee, but we call him Jack.”
Jack nodded, and we all fell silent again. I think we would have stood there in silence until Mom called me if it hadn’t been for Sir Prince. He had been sniffing around a little bit while we were talking. Now he came over and offered to shake hands with Jon and Jack. Sir Prince usually doesn’t do that on his own. That broke the ice, so to speak, and we began to talk.

I found out that they had an older sister and two younger sisters. They were almost the same age as mine. Jon and Jack weren’t twins, but they were both eight. Jon was ten months older than Jack, so for two months they are the same age. December is one of those months. I thought that was funny. By the time Mom did finally call me, we had become friends. Well, sort of. They were pretty quiet about their family life. But I guess you just don’t go telling any stranger that comes around all about you the first time you see him.


I was eager to tell my family about Jon and Jack that night at supper. Dad was glad to hear someone had finally moved into that old house. Mom said she would have to make some bread to take over, sort of as a welcome to the neighborhood gift. I couldn’t tell if Maggie and Tillie were interested or not. They didn’t say much. As for the twins, at only two, they didn’t even understand. I couldn’t wait for the next day.


I had to wait until Mom had the bread done the next day before going over. We weren’t invited in, but Mrs. Lee seemed pleased with the bread. The boys were busy, so I had to play alone again. It was the 5th of December when I found them, and they couldn’t play again until the 8th. One of those days was Sunday, and Dad doesn’t like me to run around on that day.


On the 8th, Mom and the girls were busy decorating the house. I kept getting in the way, so Mom said I could go outside. I went down to the Lee’s and saw Jack outside. Jon soon came out, and we walked around the neighborhood. I told them who lived in which houses and things like that. As we went by Grandma May’s house (She really isn’t my grandmother, but she likes to be called that.), she opened the door and asked us if we would be so kind as to try some cookies she had just baked. She said she was trying to decide just which cookies she should take to her church Christmas bake sale. She had five different cookies, and we tried them all. We finally decided on a chocolate almond crunch cookie as the best. It was getting late when we left, and Jon and Jack had to go home.

That night we decorated our tree. We had gotten it a few days before, but hadn’t had time to decorate it as Dad had to work, and we always decorate it together. That is the only part of the decorating that I like. I just don’t seem to get how to put the lights and garlands and ribbons and berries on the windows, and stair rails and things like that. I either end up watching the twins, or if they are napping, I go outside. The girls were very busy with secrets and such. So was Mom. I didn’t have to worry about Christmas gifts as I had already gotten them. In fact, they were already wrapped and hiding in a drawer under my socks. I figured that no one would think of looking there if they were trying to snoop, not that anyone does that in my family as we like to be surprised.


The days of December flew by. I spent as much time as I could with Jon and Jack. The funny thing though was that I was never invited in. I supposed they were still trying to get unpacked and settled and didn’t want another boy underfoot. At least that was what Mom said. Almost before I knew it, there were only ten days left until Christmas.


December 15th is always a memorable day because that is when we start caroling. But this year was a little different. It was cold and cloudy and looked like snow. It smelled like snow too. At least that is what Dad said. I was hoping for snow, so were my sisters. I met Jon and Jack outside their house, and together we went for a walk. It was almost too cold to talk, for there was a biting wind. We were going down the street when Mrs. Jones called to me.
“Dick! Can you boys come and help me, please?”
Mrs. Jones is young and pretty. I don’t usually notice the color of hair, but even now I can picture it. It was a reddish blonde and curly. I had become good friends with Mr. and Mrs. Jones in the 8 months or so they had lived there. Mrs. Jones seemed so eager for assistance. I was willing to help, and the others were too.

We crossed the street and hurried up the steps. I told Sir Prince to wait for us on the porch. Mom lets Sir Prince inside our house, but most people don’t like dogs in their houses, especially big dogs like Sir Prince. Mrs. Jones hurried us through the small entryway and into the living room.
“You see,” she said, pointing towards the corner. “I have a problem. The Christmas tree is leaning and shaky, and I’m afraid it will fall over. I wanted to decorate it before Dan gets home, but I don’t want it to fall. Can you help?” She looked anxious.

I didn’t think of it until later, but then it struck me as rather a funny thing to ask of three eight year olds. Most people would as soon trust a five year old. But I didn’t think of it then. I just saw the problem and set to work. I remembered that our trees sometimes did that, and Dad had to tie them up. In a few minutes I saw how to fix it, and in no time at all it was fixed.
Mrs. Jones was so excited that she gave a little squeal. I guess I should excuse her as this was her first Christmas since she was married. She gave us some cookies and hot chocolate before we left. . . .

To be continued next week.

No comments: