Background

Friday, November 20, 2009

Meleah's Western Part 10

Dear me, no one commented at all on the last post. I guess they just were too sad to know that the CMA class was over. :) But all good things must come to an end sometime. Or at least I have been told that. It was rather nice to not have to go anywhere on Tuesday evening. I also taught my last writing class for this year on Wednesday. I seem to be in the finishing mood now for I also finished a short story that I will post next week. Now that so many things have been finished, I have gotten to read more.:) I believe I'm on my fifth book this month.:)

Now before you read Part 10 which some of you have been longing for, I'll give you a brief update on my book. I finally finished reading it and now Mom has it. She has suggested a few changes so far, but we'll see how things go the farther she gets into it. Also, after talking with Jimmy some about publishing my book, it looks like I will be doing it differently than I had originally thought. But of course my "test readers" have to read it first.:)

But you, my readers, have probably skipped this and gone straight to the story. Be sure to tell me what you think. And no, the next part is not written yet.


Part 10

Ty stared at his friend. Could this be true? Was this one he was to find his “baby sister”? If Carson, who knew about her for so long, hadn’t be able to find a trace of her, how was he expected to? Where should he start? Who was the family she was with? So dazed was he with this story that he gave no reply to his older companion’s heart wrenching cry for help.
Carson had buried his face in his hands and now sat silent and motionless.

Outside, the sun climbed higher and higher, doing its best to melt much of the snow before it must slip behind the mountains once more. A lone rider was slowly wending his way through the woods on the now slippery trail. Pausing often, he looked about as though to make sure he was still on the trail and had not missed it. His horse’s breath made little clouds of steam in the still air.

Inside the cabin, with a sudden shake of his head, Ty squared his shoulders and drew a deep breath. This was no time for endless puzzling. Now was the time to work out a plan if possible.
“Carson,” Ty began. “What was the family’s name that took . . . her?” He couldn’t quite decide what to call this new found sister of his.
Carson lifted his head; he spoke slowly, “I don’t rightly remember. I know it started with West, but I ain’t been able ta recall the rest of it.”
It was Ty’s turn to frown now. This made things even more difficult. How was one to find a girl after all these years without knowing the last name? He tried again.
“Would there be anyone back near where ya was livin’ that might know?”
“There’s no tellin’ what some people might remember, an’ it’s no tellin’ if’n any a the same ones is still there. After all, Ty, its been a dozen years since I was back that way.”
“Still, it wouldn’t hurt ta check.”
“No, I reckon not. Ya ain’t aimin’ ta go there alone are ya? How’d ya know who ta ask?”
“I don’t know rightly. I was thinkin’ a going alone if’n you’d stay here with Sally. Ya know I can’t stay. If they was ta get wind--”
At that moment a voice sounded behind him. “I told ya once, an’ I’m tellin’ ya again, you ain’t goin’ nowheres without me, Ty Elliot. Now ya jest get that inta yer head.”
Both men turned. Sally stood there, hands on her hips and chin squared in stubbornness. Her blue eyes flashed with determination.
“Sally, it ain’t gonna be for long. I can leave after dawn tomorrow an’ I’d jest be checkin’ ta see if’n anyone knows about--”
Sally cut him short. “It don’t matter ta me how short a time ya aim ta be gone, Ty Elliot, I ain’t stayin’ behind.”
Ty tried to reason with her, but she remained firm in her obstinacy. If he was going anywhere, she was going too. Nothing would change her mind. She stood there before him with arms crossed and a set to her mouth that reminded Carson of long ago.
At last Ty gave in to the inevitable though he did so with great reluctance. No one spoke for several minutes after Sally joined them. It was she who broke the stillness.
“Ty, who is she?”
Briefly, Ty filled his sister in on what was known. Carson sat still, gazing before him at nothing while he listened to the story and wondered again if it were even possible to find a trace of her.
“Carson,” Ty questioned when he had finished. “If Sally goes along, what do you plan ta do?”
“Do? Why I reckon I’ll go along with ya. Ain’t got any other place ta go that’s a needin’ me, an’ I might be a use ta you. ‘Sides that,” his voice dropped and his gaze fell, “I ain’t gonna feel quite easy in my mind ‘till I see my little girl once more.”

Sally stood up. “Well, now that it is all settled, when are we goin’ ta leave? Ya know ya can’t stay here all winter; someone’s gonna find out yer here.”
“I know, Sally, I know,” Ty interrupted.
“We’ve got ta leave soon, Ty. If they were ta--” She couldn’t go on, for Ty had placed his hand over her mouth.
“Hush that kind a talk, Sally,” he ordered. “I reckon we could light out at first dawn. What da ya say, Carson?”

Carson made no reply but held up his hand for silence. A dead stillness settled over the cabin; even the fire seemed to feel a need for quiet, for the logs ceased to snap. Sally fairly held her breath, straining her ears for she knew not what. Yet, try as she would, she could hear nothing. She glanced at Ty as he stealthily rose and drew his Colt repeating pistol from its holster. She reached out a hand to grasp him, but he glided past her outstretched fingers. Carson too had risen and held his rifle at the ready.

The sun, now nearing noonday, shone with blinding splendor on the remaining snow banks. The two men stood waiting. To see out the one window would have exposed them to whatever or whoever was approaching. Sally could hear it now too. Steps of some sort were nearing. They were not slow and cautious, but advanced in a sure tread. Now they could hear the faint jingle of a harness. The visitor halted in front of the cabin.

Sally cowered back against the far wall pressing her hands over her mouth to keep back the scream that rose in her throat. Ty’s face was set. Had it come to this already? How did they know he was back? His eyes narrowed. They would find that they couldn’t always have everything their own way.
The stillness was broken by a deep voice from without. “Elliot! Sally!”


Any questions? Comments? Are you tired of this story yet?

4 comments:

emcharpist said...

ok. that was really mean of you to leave off like that!!! :)

and yes, I did read your METS report.. ;)

Anonymous said...

Unfair!!!!! You really like to leave us hanging don't you?! :)
Abigail

Amber said...

Not in the least tired of the story yet. How can a person be tired of a story that is soooo mysterious? :P

Anonymous said...

yea, I read the last report:) what or who is Ty running from? or was that something that was explained in the first parts?. Not tired of it - sorry:) glad to hear about your book - getting closer! hank