Background

Friday, October 16, 2009

Meleah's Western Part 9

If you are wondering, no, I didn't put the wrong title on this post. I really am posting "Meleah's Western." That is because we didn't end up having CMA this week. You see, we were supposed to be outside at the airport for three hours on Tuesday evening. If you remember, that day was cold, cloudy and it started misting in the evening. Not very good weather for driving ambulances or standing around outside. We are going to try to have a make up class sometime, but I'm not sure when. Next week we will just go on to the next thing, "Mass Casualties." Sound like fun?:) We'll see.;)

Anyway, I was very glad I had already written Part 9 of "Meleah's Western" or I would be frantically trying to find something to post. I have been writing my book, but no short stories. And just to let you know, I actually got the "background" ended! Yes, I was able to type "The End" and know what was the end of the book. I still have to go and add some little things here and there as well as finish figuring out where all the "letters" go. But it is so much fun to be finally working on some of the last details! I wouldn't be this far if we had had CMA and if we hadn't finished the "5,000 Year Leap" book last week.

But you didn't get on here to just read my ramblings. Yes, Hank, I do get put on the spot quite often. Thankfully it usually doesn't bother me. It just gives me something to laugh about.:) But here is the western.



Part 9

Carson rolled over stiffly and opened his eyes. The faint light entering the cabin through the windows indicated the arrival of the sun in the eastern sky. For a moment he lay there gathering his thoughts. At last, silently, he arose and built up the fire.
Ty stirred restlessly on his pallet. The habit of early rising was still upon him and in very few minutes more he had risen and joined Carson before the fire.
“Did ya sleep well?” Ty queried of his companion.
Carson shrugged. “Didn’t stay awake ta find out. How ‘bout you?”
A slight hint of a smile flickered across Ty’s face. “Like a bear in hibernation.”

For several minutes not another word was said. Each man was busy with his own thoughts. Now and then Ty would turn and look at the bed where Sally still lay wrapped in the heavy sleep of the exhausted. At last he spoke.

“Carson,” his voice was low and there was a hint of trouble in it. “Sally an’ me, we got a problem.”
Carson nodded but said not a word.
Ty continued. “’Fore Pa died he made me promise ta find someone, but he never told me who it was, only ta find “her”. All I got ta go by is this broken locket an’ this picture.” With almost reverent care he laid the items on his knee.
When Carson made no reply, Ty glanced up to see his face grow pale as he stared at the objects. With trembling hand he reached out and picked up the locket.
“Carson?” Ty queried, “You all right?” When he received no answer, he fell silent, knowing that the older man was not listening.
After a silence which lasted for some time, Carson spoke as one waking from a daze. “What was ya sayin’? I reckon I weren’t listenin’.”

Once again, Ty told of his problem of finding the missing person. Of how he and Sally thought it might be an illegitimate sister and that the locket and photo were the only clues they had.
Carson sat and watched Ty’s face closely. He could read the perplexity mingled with pain in his expressions. When Ty ceased to speak, Carson laid a hand on his shoulder.

“Son,” he began, “I can’t tell ya where she is, but I reckon I ken tell ya somethin’ ta help. It might jest relieve yer mind some too. It’s a long story, but I reckon ya ain’t wantin’ ta light out today.”
Ty shook his head and glanced again toward the bed where his sister still lay. After putting another log on the fire, he resumed his seat and prepared himself to listen.

“Yer pa and me, we growed up together farther east. It weren’t settled land then, but I reckon it is now, though I ain’t been back there fer well nigh on ta a dozen years. When yer pa got hitched, he brought yer ma out ta his cabin far from anyone. This here picture is a right good likeness of yer ma. She sure was purty.” Carson fell silent as he looked again at the tiny picture.
Ty made no move and remained silent.
“Ye pa loved her more’n anyone knew. An’ when you an’ Sally come along, he was so proud I dun thought fer sure his buttons were gonna bust. But then yer little sister came. She looked jest like yer ma, an’. . . well . . . I reckon she still does. Yer ma took real sick an’ died jest hours after she was borned. Ye pa couldn’t take care o’ her an’ my aunt took her. It weren’t long after that when yer pa packed ya all up and came out here, leavin’ the little one with me an’ my aunt. I knowed he couldn’t take care of the young one, an’ I promised ta take care of her for him.” Carson’s voice grew unsteady. “God forgive me! I thought I was doin’ right!” The cry was full of deep anguish and heartbreak. “Ty, ya got ta help me make it right!”
“Make what right? Carson, what happened?”

It was only after a few minutes of struggle that Carson could continue the story.
“Fer three years Aunt Kate an’ I raised her, my little sunshine. Aunt Kate had given her the name of yer ma, Eleanor, but I jest couldn’t bear ta call her Ellen as yer ma was called. It was in the late summer that Aunt Kate took sick. I jest couldn’t take care of her an’ Sunshine, so I let a family take the little one jest until my aunt was well. I still remember the day I brought yer sister back to the cabin. Aunt Kate had some flowers on the table an’ we was all jest as happy as ken be. Then, Ty, I ain’t never forgiven myself for it, but only a little while after that I went out on a huntin’ an’ trappin’ trip. I promised her I wouldn’t be gone more’n ten days. I promised her! Ty.” Carson’s voice sunk, and he looked at his companion.

Ty’s heart beat so hard he could scarcely get his breath.
“The troubles I faced on that trip -- my horse went lame, I took sick, early snows forced me ta stay with the Indian family that took me in. The passes were covered in snow, the creeks flooded in spring an’ it was six long months ‘fore I got back. When I did get back, Ty, Aunt Kate had died an’ my trust, yer little sister, was no where ta be found. I did learn that the family she’d stayed with had taken her. Some folks said they went further west an’ others said it was back east. I’ve looked fer her every place I been ta an’ ain’t found one clue yet. I’ve lost her, Ty, lost her! An’ her the trust o’ the best friend I ever had. Ya got ta help me find her! Ya got ta!”

I hope this answers some of the questions you have been asking. Do you have any more?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O my, you really shouldn't leave off like that - it is not good for us.....:) Sorry about your class:( - hank

Meleah said...

Well, you certainly have answered quite a few of my questions...but!Ü...I'm still wondering why Ty has been with Carson and where they've been, how long they've been gone, and who is it that they are afraid of??

Keep it up, Bekah!

Anonymous said...

Finally, some answers!! :D
Hey, there's one good thing about your class being canceled...we got to read part 9!! :)
Abigail S.

emcharpist said...

I agree with Abigail!!! :D

I'm confused about who Ty & Carson are, but I think I just need to go back and read the beginning parts again.

Angela said...

I heard a rumor that part 10 is done, but isn't being posted yet, because no one has begged for it. :D So here I am! PLEASE!!!! Post part 10 so we can read it.