Background

Friday, January 16, 2009

In the Beginning

Well, this is really a first. I have never done a blog before, and I am still a little unsure about this. As you will quickly find out, this is not a "share all about me and tell you all what I have been doing" blog. This is a reading room blog. It is for me to post my stories, poems and I might even give you small samples of my book "Home Fires of the Great War." Another thing you should know is that this blog won't be updated everyday. I thought I would mention that fact before I get started too far. (nice grammer) You see, I can't write stories all day, every day. But when I get a story or poem written that I am willing to share, I will post it. It will save a lot of emails. And if you want to read it, fine. If not, that is fine too. Comments would be helpful as I wish to improve my writing. And so, to end this very first blog post (I don't know if I like the sound of that) I will put on one of my favorite poems. This poem was written in one evening in summer.

BUGS!
There are bugs upon the rooftops
There are bugs beneath the floors
There are bugs within the bedrooms
There are bugs behind the doors!

There are bugs inside each closet
There are bugs in every drawer
There are bugs all down the hallway
There are bugs and bugs galore!

There are bugs within the showers
There are bugs down in the sink
There are bugs that sting and bite me
There are even bugs that stink!

There are bugs when I am sleeping
There are bugs when I do dine
There are bugs when I am working
Of the creepy, crawly kind!

There are bugs with lots of colors
There are bugs with lots of legs
There are bugs that look quite ugly
And all of them lay eggs!

There are bugs that I can step on
There are bugs that I can smash
There are bugs I dread to look at
Like the ones within the trash!

Oh, I wish the bugs would leave me
That all would go away
That they would cease to bug me
All twenty-four hours a day!

11 comments:

Meleah said...

How fun this will be! Thanks for the invite. Can't wait to read more!

~M

oh so lovely said...

how fun!!! thanks for the invite! you know, you should mention you have had it "published" before... :) :)

Can't wait to read more!

emcharpist said...

Sweet Bekah!!!!:) But I can't really believe that YOU are doing this:) I mean..... Looking forward to reading what you will post! Hannah C

Rebekah said...

Hannah, I know. I can't believe I'm doing this either.:}

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Ewww! Must you remind me?? Great poem. ;) I'm looking forward to reading more.

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

...oh, and I'm very glad you're starting a blog too!

Glad2bHis said...

Hooray for you, Bekah! Welcome to the world of blogging! I am glad that you have a blog!

Heidi

Anott Amos Kowerd said...

Why I asked if there was a furniture factory in your Graham Quartet story is, if Guy is investigating a counterfeiting or smuggling operation, a furniture factory could provide many hiding places (if it was run by some of the criminal ring). As for what the crime is, I have thought about what it can't be. It can't be: a small crime or a small smuggling operation; The crooks probably wouldn't be willing to risk murdering an agent for only a smaller crime. The opening of the story suggests that there is a group of crooks, this implies their operation is profitable (until they get caught), or involved in some conspiracy. If it was during a war I might suggest a spy ring, but why would a spy ring be based in this little town?
Since the Graham Quartet is (so far) a mystery I decided to put my suggestion in an out of the way place.

Rebekah said...

Thanks Anott! This was really helpful. As soon as I can get TCR paused, I'll get back to work on this story. And I like that you posted in an out of the way place. :)

Anott Amos Kowerd said...

The only new idea is about the radio. Maybe it picks up a message not intended for Guy, or maybe the 'bad guys' zero in on the location because of it. (The last situation would require multiple sets of modified equipment; an odd setup for most criminals.) I don't know if this would help the Quartet storyline; it might take it in the wrong direction.

Rebekah said...

I've had some of those same thoughts about the radio. I'm not quite sure what's going to happen, but it should be interesting. Thanks for the ideas and feel free to let me know of any others you come up with.